Hardware Gaming gpus around $250?

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Nvidia GTX 760 1.5GB
Outdated, I think it isnt worth for a sli.
Go for the nvidia 1060 6gb or rx 480, its a difficult decision because both are amazing. Watch yourself some comparision videos or look for some benchmarks.
If you plan on getting 1060, do not buy the 3gb version .

Last edited by RaMon90,

Small Kat

PC addict
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm suppose to graduate in March too, Congrats.
Nice!

RX 480 or GTX 1060 would be your best two options. Do the usual benchmark comparisons and pick your poison.

Outdated, I think it isnt worth for a sli.
Go for the nvidia 1060 6gb or rx 480, its a difficult decision because both are amazing. Watch yourself some comparision videos or look for some benchmarks.
If you plan on getting 1060, do not buy the 3gb version .
Since i live in an area where theres not much gaming pc stores, i had to buy one of $800
Allthough the specs are nice:
Intel core i7 4770K
Nvidia GTX 1.5GB
12GB RAM DDR3
2TB HDD

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Since i live in an area where theres not much gaming pc stores, i had to buy one of $800
Intel core i7 4770K
Nvidia GTX 1.5GB
12GB RAM DDR3
2TB HDD
I order all my parts online thru Amazon, Newegg, etc. Couldn't you do the same? Shipping is likely cheaper than settling for a more expensive card, if that's not your original intent. (Also, I think you forgot to put the GTX model number in your specs, haha)

Small Kat

PC addict
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I order all my parts online thru Amazon, Newegg, etc. Couldn't you do the same? Shipping is likely cheaper than settling for a more expensive card, if that's not your original intent. (Also, I think you forgot to put the GTX model number in your specs, haha)
GTX 760.
I bought a desktop completely in a store. It came with those specs, and my dad had layaway in that store.

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Nice!

Intel core i7 4770K
Nvidia GTX 1.5GB
12GB RAM DDR3
2TB HDD

Kind of outdated hardware. Your going to need to upgrade your graphics card right away to start playing new games. Your i7 4770k is just fine, 12GB of ram is good but hopefully it's fast ram, and hopefully they put a good power supply in there.

Personally I don't think you got a good deal. If your GPU only has 1.5GB of VRAM you should only get medium to low gaming quality.

You should have went on YouTube for a few hours and watched people building PC's. You'd save a lot more money and have a better idea what type of machine you have. You would also have more options in size, quality and price.

Id recommend to get a recent gpu with at least 2GB of VRAM. 3-6 GB of VRAM is optimal for today's games and 8GB VRAM is pretty much overkill unless you want to render textures at 4k resolution.

You should look into a GTX1060 or a RX480 if you want better fps and visual quality.

Small Kat

PC addict
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kind of outdated hardware. Your going to need to upgrade your graphics card right away to start playing new games. Your i7 4770k is just fine, 12GB of ram is good but hopefully it's fast ram, and hopefully they put a good power supply in there.

Personally I don't think you got a good deal. If your GPU only has 1.5GB of VRAM you should only get medium to low gaming quality.

You should have went on YouTube for a few hours and watched people building PC's. You'd save a lot more money and have a better idea what type of machine you have. You would also have more options in size, quality and price.

Id recommend to get a recent gpu with at least 2GB of VRAM. 3-6 GB of VRAM is optimal for today's games and 8GB VRAM is pretty much overkill unless you want to render textures at 4k resolution.

You should look into a GTX1060 or a RX480 if you want better fps and visual quality.
I got a 500W PSU, and i bought this desktop 2 years ago.

(I have money, let me overkill what i want...)

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to use this thread for my question, but I was trying to build a PC for Wii and GC emulation, 1080p and 60fps with 2x Internal resolution at least... I have Z170 Deluxe and i7 6700k 16gb of ram, 460w PSU, what else do I need? I tried the games and they run like crap with the settings up there.. the only way they run 60fps is if I put native resolution and nothing extra... which is pretty much using my Wii on an HDTV lol

If I buy a graphics card will solve the issue?

Luckkill4u

Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I got a 500W PSU, and i bought this desktop 2 years ago.

(I have money, let me overkill what i want...)
Oh makes sense if you bought the desktop 4 years ago. Seemed like you literally just bought it. You only need to max out your VRAM if you have a 4K display. AFAIK only mods and some games support 4K textures anyways. It would be pointless to render 4K textures on a 2K display so yeah maxing out would be a waste of money.

Sorry to use this thread for my question, but I was trying to build a PC for Wii and GC emulation, 1080p and 60fps with 2x Internal resolution at least... I have Z170 Deluxe and i7 6700k 16gb of ram, 460w PSU, what else do I need? I tried the games and they run like crap with the settings up there.. the only way they run 60fps is if I put native resolution and nothing extra... which is pretty much using my Wii on an HDTV lol

If I buy a graphics card will solve the issue?
Yes looks like you forgot to buy a graphics card. It's funny though, you never needed to buy an i7 processor in the first place. You can emulate 2x resolution on a equivalent i5 or i3. It's funny to see that people waste money on the "best" processer when you don't even need the best for what the machine is for. You should only buy an i7 if you really need all those cores/power. A quad core i5 should perform almost as good as the i7 in most games. If your emulating you only really need a dual core processor like the i3-6100.

Small Kat

PC addict
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh makes sense if you bought the desktop 4 years ago. Seemed like you literally just bought it. You only need to max out your VRAM if you have a 4K display. AFAIK only mods and some games support 4K textures anyways. It would be pointless to render 4K textures on a 2K display so yeah maxing out would be a waste of money.

I just want to play new (2016-17) games on constant 60 fps on HD/1k on the highest settings.

I have a ASUS VN247H monitor 1080p, 60hz.

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes looks like you forgot to buy a graphics card. It's funny though, you never needed to buy an i7 processor in the first place. You can emulate 2x resolution on a equivalent i5 or i3. It's funny to see that people waste money on the "best" processer when you don't even need the best for what the machine is for. You should only buy an i7 if you really need all those cores/power. A quad core i5 should perform almost as good as the i7 in most games. If your emulating you only really need a dual core processor like the i3-6100.

So I i screwed up? i thought they said Dolphin emulator is more CPU hungry than graphics card ?

Luckkill4u

Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
So I i screwed up? i thought they said Dolphin emulator is more CPU hungry than graphics card ?
Your right it is more cpu hungry but Dolphin only uses 2 cores. Single core power is more important than multicore. An dual core i3 processor should perform just as well as the i7 theoretically on dolphin emulator. An i7 processor would compress files much much much faster than an i3 or an i5 especially if it's an extreme 8+ core i7.

You need a GPU to get good quality and fps on current games.

I just want to play new (2016-17) games on constant 60 fps on HD/1k on the highest settings.

I have a ASUS VN247H monitor 1080p, 60hz.
I'd say a nVidia GTX 1060 or an AMD RX480 is what you need. It will do 1080p60fps no problem on high/ultra.

Small Kat

PC addict
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your right it is more cpu hungry but Dolphin only uses 2 cores. Single core power is more important than multicore. An dual core i3 processor should perform just as well as the i7 theoretically on dolphin emulator. An i7 processor would compress files much much much faster than an i3 or an i5 especially if it's an extreme 8+ core i7.

You need a GPU to get good quality and fps on current games.

I'd say a nVidia GTX 1060 or an AMD RX480 is what you need. It will do 1080p60fps no problem on high/ultra.
Yeah, thanks.

Ill just get the AMD RX480 when my money comes.

Luckkill4u

Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, thanks.

Ill just get the AMD RX480 when my money comes.
That's what I have, It works really well and I get 60+fps on all games.
Thats the one i'm talking about too

That's if you can fit it in your PC case and have a good enough power supply to feed it.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Refer to Luckkill4u's post above for Dolphin's CPU usage. See, even for a CPU-hungry emulator, a graphics card is going to be very, very important. Integrated graphics on the CPU just ain't enough to push games nowadays, and emulation suffers as a result. Now, you bought a really good i7, and that integrated graphics seems to be running fine at native, but really, any 'ol GPU nowadays will be substantially better than onboard (integrated) graphics.

Can you afford a cheap $100-200 GPU? Something in that range should be all you need, but I'm playing safe and for your needs you might even be fine with a sub-$100 GPU. Don't take my word at it, tho, and ask someone who's better versed in Dolphin's graphics requirements :P

Reactions: huma_dawii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr