Homebrew Emulation GameYob, a gameboy emulator for DS

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I actually like it without the health & safety screen but also what are the chances that trying this will screw up my DS even more? it is the only one I have

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
As far as I understand the 3DS exploit only corrupts the firmware settings - part of the birthday info on your profile - and not the firmware itself. You should be able to remove the DS battery and put it back to reset firmware settings.

I've flashed 2 DS consoles with no issues. As long as the tinfoil is properly wrapped around the toothpick and doesn't stick out, and you push it in straight down and pull it out straight up without moving it about to the sides, you shouldn't have issues. If the process interrupts by you pulling out your tool you can put it back in and it will continue.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As far as I understand the 3DS exploit only corrupts the firmware settings - part of the birthday info on your profile - and not the firmware itself. You should be able to remove the DS battery and put it back to reset firmware settings.
That only makes it worse :P As I've explained, the installer doesn't seem to corrupt your settings (on a ds phat). I don't know what it corrupts, but I know that removing the battery makes it impossible to boot to the firmware, so you need a way of autobooting in order to do anything.

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Actually Drenn I would have to say it does corrupt the settings on a DS phat, I tested it again after installing flashme and I had to install flashme again to fix it, I had my DS set to autoboot luckily. I think the thing is maybe the 3DS has the ability to restore the DS profile in case of corruption considering it's just settings from the DS that are programmed to work for DS games on the 3DS

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Actually Drenn I would have to say it does corrupt the settings on a DS phat, I tested it again after installing flashme and I had to install flashme again to fix it, I had my DS set to autoboot luckily. I think the thing is maybe the 3DS has the ability to restore the DS profile in case of corruption considering it's just settings from the DS that are programmed to work for DS games on the 3DS

Removing the battery deletes your system settings. If it only corrupted your settings, that would fix it. Instead, all it does is turn a semi-brick (can boot firmware, but not settings manager) into an almost-full brick (can't do anything except autoboot). Though, you seem to have had the almost-full brick from the start. I dunno, I guess it can affect different revisions differently...

I think it corrupts something else, like part of the firmware code, but not the settings themselves. I looked at the corrupted firmware dump from desmume, and it didn't overwrite the profile settings.

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
actually I had remembered that the firmware settings were reset upon pulling the battery for 5 seconds so I did that thinking it would set it right and then gave me an almost-full brick

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just so you know Drenn, GameYob crashes when starting the first level in Bubble Bobble. I tested this on the latest release and 0.2 I believe. I'm not sure what causes it.

Reactions: Drenn

yigit007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
While this does narrow down the problem, I don't understand how my changes in .4.1 would cause this...

Anyway... falconcrest and ShadowOne333, here is a test build which uses the less intrusive method of autosaving. It causes some in-game lag when I use my old SD card, but my new one is just fine.

bobmcjr, I have no idea what to do about your issue. If all else fails, I would try with another microSD card...

Just wanted to say that I had similar problems as falconcrest and this test build is working for me. Using wood 1.48 on a DS lite and this build autosaves nicely.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, it's been a year since v0.1. They grow up so fast...

So smealum released the source for ASDS (the level editor always freezes on the final save of the level). It may be helpful for determining why gameyob 0.4+ freezes for me with I/O stuff: https://github.com/smealum/portalDS
Or not.

At first glance, nothing seems out of the ordinary with the filesystem functions.
Just wanted to say that I had similar problems as falconcrest and this test build is working for me. Using wood 1.48 on a DS lite and this build autosaves nicely.

Ok. I'll make an updated release with the saving fix, plus a few minor fixes soon.

By the way, last week I was working on an overhaul, so that it's compilable for a computer with SDL again. It should also make it easier for porting to other systems, later on. It's a big thing, though, so I won't be using it for the update for now. Needs more fixes, testing etc. Will put it on github when I'm ready.

Reactions: Walker D

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hey, it's been a year since v0.1. They grow up so fast...

At first glance, nothing seems out of the ordinary with the filesystem functions.

Ok. I'll make an updated release with the saving fix, plus a few minor fixes soon.

By the way, last week I was working on an overhaul, so that it's compilable for a computer with SDL again. It should also make it easier for porting to other systems, later on. It's a big thing, though, so I won't be using it for the update for now. Needs more fixes, testing etc. Will put it on github when I'm ready.

Ports to other consoles?!
That means a Wii ort might be posible?
I BEG OF YOU! DO THAT!

There are few good GB(C) emulators on the Wii that can be compatible with the GBC bios and Printer along with properly allowing hacked games to be seen correctly, that would make it my fav GB emulator on the system.

Arisotura

rise of melonism
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
Interesting idea. However, how much of the core are you able to reuse in a SDL build?

Perhaps doing the same with lolSnes could help testing/debugging, but considering the CPU/SPC700 cores are written in ARM assembly and the PPU core is dependent on the DS's hardware, it's not really possible. At best I could go with a modified desmume perhaps...

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Interesting idea. However, how much of the core are you able to reuse in a SDL build?

Perhaps doing the same with lolSnes could help testing/debugging, but considering the CPU/SPC700 cores are written in ARM assembly and the PPU core is dependent on the DS's hardware, it's not really possible. At best I could go with a modified desmume perhaps...

Almost all of the core emulation is shared... the only part I haven't made platform-independent is bits of sound register emulation. The consistency does help for debugging. SDL has its own code for graphics and sound output, of course. (I actually made this code a long time ago, but dropped it when I ported it to DS.)
If you're using assembly, though, that complicates things... mine was originally C++ and my attempt at switching to assembly didn't go so well. I'm not sure what your goal would be by modifying desmume.

Ports to other consoles?!
That means a Wii ort might be posible?
I BEG OF YOU! DO THAT!

There are few good GB(C) emulators on the Wii that can be compatible with the GBC bios and Printer along with properly allowing hacked games to be seen correctly, that would make it my fav GB emulator on the system.

Probably not wii, I was thinking I'd try porting to the 3ds once that gets off the ground. No definite plans though.

Reactions: ipwndeveloper

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Almost all of the core emulation is shared... the only part I haven't made platform-independent is bits of sound register emulation. The consistency does help for debugging. SDL has its own code for graphics and sound output, of course. (I actually made this code a long time ago, but dropped it when I ported it to DS.)
If you're using assembly, though, that complicates things... mine was originally C++ and my attempt at switching to assembly didn't go so well. I'm not sure what your goal would be by modifying desmume.

Probably not wii, I was thinking I'd try porting to the 3ds once that gets off the ground. No definite plans though.

Drenn this already works on the 3DS in DS mode and nifi works the same between a 3ds and a ds phat me and my buddy were able to successfully trade a haunter to evolve it into a gangar with pokemon crystal US

Acidflare

HomeBrew Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Zelda Oracle Series plays without a problem on 0.5.2 so far. please note this i thes version I've been using and I get no save issues with any of my games no save corruption also I have been able to get pokemon to trade in crystal with nifi on the 0.5.2 build

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    LEOtck? Who's he? Never 'erd of the las. :)
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I only show the mirror to people and you all can't stand what you're seeing
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    bunch of bullies
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder 101
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I think that's what you have
    Thanks for providing further evidence of my claim in a single comment. lol.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    pff\
    You're a gaslighting narcissist. Everyone out to get you. You wont get professional help because you'll just chalk up their diagnosis as another conspiracy out to get you.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    leave me alone, I'm not going to engage with you anymore, bye
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    Motherfucker I was checked by a psychiatrist and there's nothing wrong with me
    okay. Bye. Thought you were leaving anyway. Why are you still around? You already said goodbye to everyone here.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so stop spurting your nonsense
    lol. liar.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now, both of you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea you're just a mean bully
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    he SHOULD
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and NOW
    liar, loudmouth, cussing and swearing, all angry
    ok. sorry. ill stop now. promise
    Sooo. How about Dune part 1 & 2? The cinematography is fantastic, but thats some of the most boring ass sci-fi Ive seen in my life.
    haven't seen both
    Im going to see the new Godzilla next week. Sure they aren't some cinematic masterpieces but the last few were all really great and fun popcorn flicks to see on the big screen.
    can't remember the last time I went to the cinemas
    Me neither, not precisely. I think the last one I went to was Top Gun Maverick
    Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely see the new Planet of the Apes in a theater too.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely...