GameTDB - game information database + covers

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by zorglub07, Jul 1, 2009.

1. TiMeBoMb4u2

TiMeBoMb4u2 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 25, 2008
    United States
    Wipeout: Create & Crash [S2YE52]
    I noticed the HQ cover was missing, and I was unable to find one with the standard Google searches. So, although it's not the best quality, I pieced one together using various sources.
    I uploaded it to GameTDB, but I think I may have selected the wrong cover type. Either way, here's the one I pieced together, which is still better than no HQ.

EDIT: Fixed Wii logos on Front and Spine.

...and if someone would like to clean up my work, here are the source images I used (found on various sites).

Last edited by TiMeBoMb4u2, May 23, 2016

2. Keith_Loving

Keith_Loving Member

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2010
    United States
    I have a question about the wii disc region coding....I have some game backup IDs and while some are obvious which region the game is, the others I am not sure about....I'll summarize below:

xxxExx = English/USA
    xxxPxx = PAL/Europe
    xxxJxx = Japan
    xxxXxx = ?????
    xxxYxx = ?????
    xxxZxx = ?????

If someone call let me know what X, Y, and Z represents, I would appreciate it.

Thanks so much,
    KL

3. zorglub07
    OP

zorglub07 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    France
    X, Y, Z is mainly PAL (alternate versions) but also used by a few US games, mostly Best Buy, Toys R Us and Walmart special editions.
    If you know the IDs you can search for the first 3 characters here to see the different versions: http://www.gametdb.com/Wii/Search or replace the ID in the URL: http://www.gametdb.com/Wii/[ID]

4. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    isn't X used or considered region free?
    maybe it's not really region free but the same Id used in different region.

5. zorglub07
    OP

zorglub07 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    France
    Yeah, X, Y, Z were used by PAL games at first, then for both. Most are European versions. Else Nintendo uses A for region free (apps, demos, some Pokémon versions on 3DS)

6. Wiimm

Wiimm Developer

Aug 11, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    Excerpt from wit source; see it as collection and not for the ultimate truth!
    Code:
        /*A*/ { REGION_EUR,  0, "ALL ", "All" },
        /*B*/ { REGION_EUR,  0, "-?- ", "-?-" },
        /*C*/ { REGION_EUR,  0, "-?- ", "-?-" },
        /*D*/ { REGION_EUR, 1,  "GERM", "German" },
        /*E*/ { REGION_USA, 1,  "USA ", "NTSC/USA" },
        /*F*/ { REGION_EUR, 1,  "FREN", "French" },
        /*G*/ { REGION_EUR,  0, "-?- ", "-?-" },
        /*H*/ { REGION_EUR,  0, "NL  ", "Netherlands" },    // ??
        /*I*/ { REGION_EUR, 1,  "ITAL", "Italian" },
        /*J*/ { REGION_JAP, 1,  "JAPA", "Japan" },
        /*K*/ { REGION_KOR, 1,  "KORE", "Korea" },
        /*L*/ { REGION_JAP, 1,  "J>PL", "Japan->PAL" },
        /*M*/ { REGION_USA, 1,  "A>PL", "America->PAL" },
        /*N*/ { REGION_JAP, 1,  "J>US", "Japan->NTSC" },
        /*O*/ { REGION_EUR,  0, "-?- ", "-?-" },
        /*P*/ { REGION_EUR, 1,  "PAL ", "PAL" },
        /*Q*/ { REGION_KOR, 1,  "KO/J", "Korea (japanese)" },
        /*R*/ { REGION_EUR, 1,  "RUS ", "Russia" },
        /*S*/ { REGION_EUR, 1,  "SPAN", "Spanish" },
        /*T*/ { REGION_KOR, 1,  "KO/E", "Korea (english)" },
        /*U*/ { REGION_EUR,  0, "AUS ", "Australia" },        // ??
        /*V*/ { REGION_EUR,  0, "SCAN", "Scandinavian" },    // ??
        /*W*/ { REGION_EUR,  0, "CHIN", "China" },        // ??
        /*X*/ { REGION_EUR, 1,  "RF  ", "Region free" },
        /*Y*/ { REGION_EUR,  0, "-?- ", "-?-" },
        /*Z*/ { REGION_EUR,  0, "-?- ", "-?-" },

7. Zonta85

Zonta85 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 9, 2007
    Italy
    Ascoli Piceno
    In my experience using Wii and GC games from GC dayone: when publishers cannot make a multi 5 version because of disk space (multiple audio tracks in different languages ecc. especially in the GC generation with not enough space because of the 1.5 GB on te GC minidvd) they use the X on the id to identify the alternate version in PAL when the release hasn't only one language, so it isn't only italian,only spain, only german ecc., while the P identifies the main version with the english inside, (doesn't mmatter if only ENG, MULTI5, MULTI4, MULTI3, MULTI2). Some examples.

But when you have an alternate version that has only one language they put the "I" for italian, "F" for french, "D" for german ecc. Some examples.

Then in the end:
    P = Main PAL version that contains the ENG, doesn't matter if MULTI 5, MULTI 4, MULTI 3 or MULTI 2
    I, S, D, F = Alternate and Specific PAL version for a specific country that contains ONLY the related language (ITA, ESP, GER, FRA)
    X = Alternate PAL version that contains more than one language (except for ENG) and cannot be identified for a single/specific country

Last edited by Zonta85, Nov 4, 2016
  8. zorglub07
    OP

zorglub07 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    France
    Thanks Wiimm, and I agree Zonta85, X as alternate for P with Y and Z if more discs were needed.

Action Replay for GameCube is DTLX01 and was used to play region free so maybe that's why X got associated with region free? I remember that Wii Backup Manager used to label X, Y or Z as region free but it was confusing for users, these games were PAL except for Best Buy versions and similar, so it's more like "both" than region free. Unless the Best Buy games were really region free? Are there examples for region free IDs using X aside from Action Replay?

@Wiimm, here are examples for the ones with "??":
    C only 2 Chinese versions, language mods?
    H all Netherlands
    U almost all Australian
    V all Scandinavian
    W: Taiwan
    X: almost all Europe (192), except 4 US (2 Walmart, 1 Toys R Us) and 1 Best Buy (not sure)
    Y: almost all Europe, except 4 US (2 Best Buy) and 1 South America SKYY52
    Z: 9 Europe, 8 US (2 Toys R Us, 1 Target), but PAL games were released first

List below:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Wiimm and Zonta85 like this.
  9. Zonta85

Zonta85 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 9, 2007
    Italy
    Ascoli Piceno
    Thank you. Is stupid to define them region free. And if you remember well the action replay, as you can see in in the disc (zoom it), the box, and i'm pretty sure (if i remember well) in his loading screen it wasn't "sponsored, endorsed or approved by Nintendo" so the producer decided the title id by his own, not following Nintendo's guidelines.
    [​IMG]

I'm italian, i have ton of games with "X" and is so annoyng viewing in the loader, near the cover "Regionfree".
    Do you think that It is possible in the USB loader to change "Regionfree" in "PAL alternate", "PAL B", "Alternate" or domething like that?

Last edited by Zonta85, Nov 5, 2016
  10. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Fun fact: Obviously Nintendo wouldn't press discs for Action Replay since it was unlicensed so they bought a bunch of old games that were a bomb (NHL Hitz, I think?) and used the inner BCA area to make the discs bootable. :)

Zonta85 and zorglub07 like this.
  11. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Thank you for all these informations.
    I will change the "region free" text in USBLoaderGX.

we have the known exception thanks to zorglub, I could make "X = EUR, except for the 4 known ID = US"
    I can also add the missing ones, I think I don't have any H=dutch

the "new" region detection was a patch done by another user, I'll revert it.

Zonta85 and zorglub07 like this.
  12. Keith_Loving

Keith_Loving Member

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2010
    United States
    thank you so much for the answers ^.^

13. Wiimm

Wiimm Developer

Aug 11, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    @zorglub07

I found a programming error at the GameTDB website. After searching "mkw-fun" I get:
    wrong-cover.png
    A wrong cover is shown for RMCE33!
    In the morning, when I found this bug with my tablet, the cover of "Santa Claus" was shown and it was also RMCE33.

EDIT:
    If I search "Mkw-fun" (uppercase M) then the cover of "Santa Claus" is shown. Curious!

EDIT 2:
    It hat nothing to do with uppercase letters. After a while the cover is changing and I get randomly "Santa Claus" again.

Last edited by Wiimm, Nov 13, 2016
  14. Wiimm

Wiimm Developer

Aug 11, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    Now the effect moved to RMCE02 (3rd page if searching "mkw-fun" ).

15. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    For what it's worth, the "correct" way to determine region code is by checking bi2.bin (GameCube) or the region / rating area (Wii). I updated Nintendont to use bi2.bin in my CISO/MD5/widescreen branch.

You need to check the u32 (big-endian) located at the following byte offset: (assuming 1:1 disc image)
    • GameCube: 0x458
    • Wii: 0x4E000
    This will be one of the following four values:
    • 0: Japan
    • 1: USA
    • 2: Europe (PAL)
    • 4: South Korea (Wii only?)
    If you want to determine the "sub-region", you can then compare the Game ID's region code, though that's only useful for informational purposes. (My ROM Properties Page shell extension does this in the GameCube class.)

EDIT: Is the Action Replay disc region-free? Going by the bi2.bin region code values, I'd think full region-free wouldn't be possible, since Japan is defined as "no bits set". If someone has a dump of the Action Replay disc, can you check the values at 0x458-0x45B in a hex editor?

EDIT 2: Found disc images of Action Replay and Freeloader. Both were labeled as Europe, but bi2.bin shows 1, which means USA. Now I'm thoroughly confused as to how that's supposed to work.

Last edited by GerbilSoft, Nov 16, 2016
    Cyan likes this.
  16. Wiimm

Wiimm Developer

Aug 11, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    wit use this source too.

17. Zonta85

Zonta85 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 9, 2007
    Italy
    Ascoli Piceno
    Thank you!

18. zorglub07
    OP

zorglub07 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    France
  19. Wiimm

Wiimm Developer

Aug 11, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    Only the cover is wrong.
    And there is another issue: The bug is now now at page 3. If viewing page 3, only 3 pages are available, but before (at page 1 and 2) there were 5 pages available. And if you go directly to page 4, there are no results. Maybe this helps to find the bug.

20. zorglub07
    OP

zorglub07 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    France
    I've made a change to get rid of the wrong covers in search results but it might take some time to take effect. The pagination issue seems to be an old bug with google search, it actually does the same on google.com (but is rarely noticed when there are many pages). Edit: I made a change to improve it, it seems to work better now.

Last edited by zorglub07, Nov 25, 2016