Gaming Games that have interesting effects on Anti-Piracy?

Coolperez8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, basically I found one video about Easter eggs in games and I noticed he did mention some games that do silly or cruel things if they detect that the game is pirated, and that makes me wonder how do the games tell if it's pirated and what do they do in that scenario? Basically, I'll list games I know do this, it will also be useful if videos were provided. I claim no credit for any videos I provide, credit goes to the uploaders.

Earthbound - The game spews out certain enemies in certain places, including enemies you can't find in those places on a legitimate cartridge, thus increasing the difficulty, when the player attempts to defeat the final boss, the game freezes, the player might think it's just a problem, but when he resets the game all his save files are erased.

Mirror's Edge - The game slows you down at key jumps.

Grand Theft Auto IV - The game would start up normally, but when progressing the camera begins to shake uncontrollably and cars will auto-accelerate while smoking.

Game Dev Tycoon - This one's ironic, as you progress through the game your games would get pirated more and more often until you are forced into bankruptcy.

The Sims 4 - Every time a Sim uses the toilet it starts to blur the whole screen.

Pokémon HeartGold or SoulSilver - Not sure if this is a bug, during a trainer battle the game locks up, the music plays normally, but your Pokéball hot bar spins wildly.

Sim City - Buildings Collapse.

Spyro: Year of the dragon - The fairy will tell you your game is modified, and this game had Anti-Piracy measures everywhere, such as not being able to collect eggs to progress, as pirates fixed these issues, other issues came such as random crashing, game crashes when paused, and during the final boss fight your came would crash and there's a good chance it erases the save file. I've heard that the game even changes the menu language to German, and possibly scrolls through languages.

Please bear with me if you know of other games or I'm missing something.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
pokemon leaf green\firered if you pirate it, the guy from the boat will say "either buy the game or die"
but maybe this was a prank\rumor from the rom dumper...
tumblr_m44s92fcJB1rw70wfo1_500.png

pokemon black\white will not let your pokemon earn experience

Coolperez8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pokemon leaf green\firered if you pirate it, the guy from the boat will say "either buy the game or die"
but maybe this was a prank\rumor from the rom dumper...
tumblr_m44s92fcJB1rw70wfo1_500.png

pokemon black\white will not let your pokemon earn experience

Oh, I opened up AdvanceMap and both a Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen rom, and found that for some reason the guy isn't programmed to say that, so either that guy faked the image or hacked the game. Oh, and he impersonated DidYouKnowGaming from YouTube.

FailName

░▒▓█▓▒░
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I opened up AdvanceMap and both a Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen rom, and found that for some reason the guy isn't programmed to say that, so either that guy faked the image or hacked the game. Oh, and he impersonated DidYouKnowGaming from YouTube.
It might not be true and was added by some hacker who went and circulated the rom, but it's definitely not an impersonation, unless if DidYouKnowGaming "from YouTube" links to a fake website all the time.

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Michael Jackson The Experience DS - plays vuvuzela over game music
LovePlus+ - fondness resets to zero after loading savefile
Command and Conquer: Generals - automatic losing after 5 minutes
Crysis 3 - level 2 gives you a sniper riffle, if you pirated you get no ammo
Fight Club - in level 2 you die after one hit
Cross Days - ask for personal info (name, email, phone number etc), screenshots your desktop and posts it online
Dark Souls - "Developer" enemy attacks and kills you
Operation Flashpoint (Golden edition) - runs only once, then you have to reinstall

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
A DS LovePlus game bricks AK2i IIRC.

EDIT: The Stanley Parable has one too. Forgot what it was but it basically tells you you're pirating and end the game within 5 mins.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Megaman Operation Star Force or whatever it's called (remake of the first Battle Network game with some extras for DS, Japan only) made you fight a mettaur with every single step you take if pirated.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Settlers 3: trees wouldn't grow in the pirated version, and smelters produced piggies instead of iron ingots.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates for DS would show a "Thanks for playing" moogle screen after about 20 minutes of playing.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See, I dont think thats it, I think it was some regular game (like spyro) but for some reason remember it being a Korean translation.

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
game dev tycoon: past some point, your company will crumble because of piracy
black and white: kids don't grow up
Batman arkham asylum: grappling hook not working

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1