YouTube Glitcher
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just had a thought to myself whilst playing SSBB, you can save an image in game when brawling to the SD card if you see something that looks good, weird or even glitchy which i think is a great idea!

My question is, how come no one has managed to create a Homebrew software or even system menu mod (like home button option) that allows us to take an in game screenshot to save to SD card? It seems that since the Wii was first hacked we have a limitless supply of great hackers on the scene and thought something like this might have been easy compared to custom menu themes, custom games being made etc.

I don't know if maybe no one has thought of it, or if the SD card can't be accessed in situations like home button because i'm no expert but i thought it would be a good idea for people that loooove to glitch around :)

and sorry if the title is misleading ;)

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You can take screenshots with a USBGecko, or a capture card(or perhaps S(U)NEEK with code edits?). The System Menu doesn't run during a game. The Home Menu you see when you press Home is actually running from a game disk, so that can't be really edited either..You'd pretty much need a code hook running in the background(e.g. SNEEK/UNEEK, USBGecko, or some other IOS hackery).

I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable guys will chime in here, but if you want to know a bit more about why it's not really possible without external soft/hardware: http://hackmii.com/2009/02/why-the-wii-will-never-get-any-better/

GameGeek

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You can take screenshots with a USBGecko, or a capture card(or perhaps S(U)NEEK with code edits?). The System Menu doesn't run during a game. The Home Menu you see when you press Home is actually running from a game disk, so that can't be really edited either..
Wouldn't it be feasible to replace the Home Menu by editing a game backup using WiiScrubber and replacing its HM files with those belonging to a custom one, though? I've been thinking for some time that maybe it would be possible to code a feature into a USB loader that patches games on the fly ala Riivolution, replacing the HM of whatever game is loaded. That way the user could have a global custom (and maybe even skinnable) HM with additional features not offered by the official one (ie: someone could code a custom HM that shows current the time and date and allows the user to take screenshots, manage and backup saves ala SMGX, enable/disable ocarina codes, view and edit the memory, maybe even save and load savestates).

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't SNEEK/UNEEK able to take screenshots at one point in time? I'm pretty sure that I remember using it to take screenshots of games in the past. I'm not sure how to do it now, though, or if it is even still a feature of SNEEK/UNEEK.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I suppose if Riivolution can patch game files on the fly, a homebrew app can take a screenshot.

However, there isn't much developer interest in this, as any decent capture card or even a digital camera will take pictures of sufficient quality.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can take screenshots with a USBGecko, or a capture card(or perhaps S(U)NEEK with code edits?). The System Menu doesn't run during a game. The Home Menu you see when you press Home is actually running from a game disk, so that can't be really edited either..
Wouldn't it be feasible to replace the Home Menu by editing a game backup using WiiScrubber and replacing its HM files with those belonging to a custom one, though? I've been thinking for some time that maybe it would be possible to code a feature into a USB loader that patches games on the fly ala Riivolution, replacing the HM of whatever game is loaded. That way the user could have a global custom (and maybe even skinnable) HM with additional features not offered by the official one (ie: someone could code a custom HM that shows current the time and date and allows the user to take screenshots, manage and backup saves ala SMGX, enable/disable ocarina codes, view and edit the memory, maybe even save and load savestates).

I

wiisixtyfour

Trophies
Website
wiisixtyfour.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
It's easy to say "I want this, I want that" when you don't how how much work it would actually take. There's probably only a handful of truly skilled developers that could accomplish the listed goals and it would be tons of work. Of course it's not impossible but let's be realistic here.
More on topic, in order to take screenshots (or to capture video) of games, you would need something running in the background. This takes up memory (which the Wii doesn't have a lot of) and could potentially cause gameplay issues since the games are using the memory too. I'm not sure of the feasibility of using S/UNEEK or cIOSes but still the memory issue would be the main problem. Also, along the same lines it may or may not be possible for something like Devolution to allow screenshots in Gamecube games. (Don't go bugging tueidj about this though.)

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's easy to say "I want this, I want that" when you don't how how much work it would actually take. There's probably only a handful of truly skilled developers that could accomplish the listed goals and it would be tons of work. Of course it's not impossible but let's be realistic here.
More on topic, in order to take screenshots (or to capture video) of games, you would need something running in the background. This takes up memory (which the Wii doesn't have a lot of) and could potentially cause gameplay issues since the games are using the memory too. I'm not sure of the feasibility of using S/UNEEK or cIOSes but still the memory issue would be the main problem. Also, along the same lines it may or may not be possible for something like Devolution to allow screenshots in Gamecube games. (Don't go bugging tueidj about this though.)

I understand the troubles of development (I'm working on a game right now) BUT I was simply talking about solutions that could really turn a new leaf for the community. Whether or not these things come to fruition, that's up to people who might have the same mindset. That was not a list of wants but frankly these are things that if done would give the Wii some new wind and with indy games being the new thing for Steam and Ouya, who's to say that the Wii can't have any of this fun. I'd be willing to buy homebrew channel compatible indy games if there was a strong community for it. Personally, I hate to see good hardware die a horrible death. :(

Reactions: 1 person

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow i never checked this thread after i left it here haha! I can't even remember why I asked now... :P

Thanks for all the responses, I see what you mean with the memory issues.

I've noticed that what i said about the home button idea has kind of been implemented into the Wii U! If you press the home button mid game it automatically takes a screen (but doesn't save it) so you can upload it to Miiverse/ send in a message. Good times!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: