Gamers Can Read #1

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by Prans, Nov 8, 2015.

Nov 8, 2015

Gamers Can Read #1 by Prans at 3:26 PM (3,625 Views / 13 Likes) 18 replies

1. Prans
    OP

Reporter Prans Geek, gamer, human

pip
    Mauritius
    gbatemp_gamers_can_read.jpg
    Gamers can read. Not just sentences from the screen but actual, tangible books. Yes, gaming literature does exist which you can shove in the face of your literature teacher!

In an attempt to bring such books to light, I’ll be doing some reviews in this new column so you too can put down the controller and turn to books like your Mum told you to.

About the book

rsz_mgs_cover.png

What if one of your favourite video games, your memories of it, your emotional attachment and everything you found awesome in it, were actually not all so great? That’s what the siblings Ashly and Anthony Burch write about in their book about Metal Gear Solid on the Playstation 1.

Way before hosting their Youtube channel Hey Ash Whatcha Playing, before Anthony became the lead writer for Borderlands 2 and before Ashly became a voice actor, the Burch siblings were kids who loved to play MGS on their Playstation. Now older (and wiser?) they re-explore the game.

The book is presented in an interesting way. Each chapter covers a feature of the game on which both Ashly and Anthony share their personal views in a back and forth conversational way, with regular footnotes to lighten the mood. The approachable language used makes the reading feel like you are having a conversation with friends, each sharing their point of view even though everyone doesn’t necessarily share the same opinion.

They share their initial experience with the game in a way most of us could relate, how they (like me) discovered the game first though a demo disc and went on to buy the full game and beat it. The beginning might give you the impression of the run-of-the-mill nostalgic trip of 2 siblings who wished they could go back in time to relieve those moments spent playing that game. But they stop you right in those tracks.

And they sure do. They give a radical view on MGS. They dissect it, in ways you probably haven’t thought of.

They cover the game, its characters, its mechanics and setting from top to bottom. They point out to the incongruences in Snake’s character, his feelings and how he can be a negative, misogynist influence. They also make a strong point on the limited use of the great yet poorly exploited feature of using your footprints to lure enemies. But the book isn’t only about pointing out all the negative aspects of the game. The authors give due credit to the innovative way the game breaks the fourth wall. They talk about the various options available to beat Vulcan Raven, allowing free use of your imagination as to how to apply your arsenal for that purpose. The book also covers the various military-related themes of the game. How soldiers are used as tools, and regarded as tools by those pulling the strings. And also accurately depicts the varying reasons people join the military.

If you are a fan of MGS and hold dear memories to the game, be ready for a read that will get on your nerves. You might think that the authors seem to complain about irrelevant points. Or that they seem to take for granted what they cherished as kids and want more out of a game nearly 2 decades old. But keep in mind that the book was written by people who love the game just like you do. It even influenced their career choices! They point out to features that you might have overlooked or dismissed as unimportant but which actually matter. As Ashly concludes:

The book’s an eye-opener, it’s thought-provoking and gives an in-depth analysis and one totally different from conventional critics on Metal Gear Solid. Read it if you’re an MGS fan. Read it if you want a different view on a game that defined a generation. Read it to make you re-think how you view MGS.

Read it.

2. Steena

Member Steena GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Italy
    Should probably have given the same advice to her own brother.

Sirius64, ric., DarkFlare69 and 2 others like this.
  3. duwen

Member duwen Old Man Yoshi

United Kingdom
    Nice idea for a column!

Video game related books I'd recommend:
    Evo Moment 37 - by Glenn Cravens... a book dedicated to 'one of the most famous moments in competitive gaming history'
    Ready Player One - by Ernest Cline... awesome novel that every video game fan will get a kick out of!

edit:
    And thanks to this column, I've just downloaded four of the 'Boss Fights' books :D

Last edited by duwen, Nov 8, 2015
    aaronz77 and Chary like this.
  4. Boogieboo6

Member Boogieboo6 @realDonaldTrump

United States
    There were Super Mario Bros Choose Your Own Adventure books. I really liked those.

5. MrJason005

Member MrJason005 √2

Greece
  6. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    Prans likes this.
  7. Silverthorn

Member Silverthorn Spiky!

France
    I remember reading one of the Myst books and at the time it seemed pretty decent.

8. Prans
    OP

pip
    Mauritius
    Thanks for the recommendations @Joe88 and @duwen. A movie based on Ready Player One is in the works.

Oh and if you liked their books be a good sport and support them by buying the books @duwen :)

ferofax and duwen like this.
  9. zxieus

Newcomer zxieus Member

United Kingdom
    Ernest Cline's current book Armada is fantastic so far. Fantastic read for gamers

ferofax and Prans like this.
  10. duwen

Member duwen Old Man Yoshi

United Kingdom
    I already have it - it's next in my 'to read' list ^_^

I almost always pay for my literature; both Ready Player One and Evo Moment 37 are sitting on the shelf next to me... although I admit that the 4 Boss Fight books I downloaded were obtained a little nefariously - however, if I enjoy them I'll probably subscribe to both 'seasons'.

Prans likes this.
  11. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

It's a good book. Would recommend as it's from the guys at HG101 IIRC.

aaronz77, ferofax and Prans like this.
  12. kumorebikun

Newcomer kumorebikun Advanced Member

Slovenia
    Nice guys, literally today I was thinking if there are any interesting (non-fiction) books dealing with gaming :) Great post :D !!

Prans likes this.
  13. Prans
    OP

pip
    Mauritius
    Looks like a good one! I'll take a look at it after my other reviews. Thanks for sharing!

ferofax likes this.
  14. RevPokemon

Member RevPokemon I Voted Johnson/Weld!!!

United States
    Gotta add

1001 games to play before you die
    Console wars
    Power up
    Pikachu takes over america (or something like that)
    And that Ralph Baer book about his case of the inventor of games is good to.

Last edited by RevPokemon, Nov 9, 2015
    Prans likes this.
  15. Gamefreakjf11

Newcomer Gamefreakjf11 Advanced Member

United States
    You just made my day by reminding me that I am not Anthony Burch.

Don't open if angered easily

Sirius64, ric. and Helveteskuken like this.
  16. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Hope you didn't hurt your hands writing actual paragraphs of words in your article

Gamefreakjf11 likes this.
  17. Marx7

Newcomer Marx7 Member

Canada
    Has anyone read the Scott Pilgrim series? Plenty of game references and an amazing artstyle.

Prans likes this.
  18. Prans
    OP

pip
    Mauritius
    I watched the movie, was pretty rad!

19. Chary

Reporter Chary GBAtemp's #1 Naoto

pip
    United States
    There's a 30% off coupon for any book, on Amazon. (HOLIDAY30) If anyone's looking to buy some video game related books, now is the time!

Prans and kiwiis like this.