Hacking Gamepad Emulation State?

snowkid2themax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I remember seeing a while back video of someone emulating the gamepad on their pc. Was wondering if their program still worked/if there were any updates? The reason I ask is that I recently found a listing for a Wii U without the gamepad for pretty cheap and seeing as a kernel exploit is right around the corner, I'd like to lock in a system with exploitable firmware before any patches come out

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Buying a Wii U without a Gamepad is like buying a car and then throwing away the keys.

You can't do the system's initial setup without it. You can't enter system settings without it. You can't play several games without it. And I never heard of a PC emulating it... But even so it won't be touch screen in the way that you want it and the gyroscope and camera I can't imagine working.

A refurbished Wii U from Nintendo.com is $200. That should be what you go for.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a "console only" Wii u off eBay but it is my second unit so I can sync my gamepad to it when necessary. I would not recommend purchasing a Wii u without having a gamepad or a very close friend and neighbor with GP you can borrow.

Smash and MK8 seem fine without it.

Refurb is the way to go, most full systems on eBay go for at least 200 and you don't get a warranty.

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They released the source code used to make that video a while ago, you can find it here: https://bitbucket.org/memahaxx/drc-sim (there is also some source for a few related projects under the same user). It is pretty hacky, requires a lot of undocumented configuration, and is incomplete (doesn't handle a few packet types as well as completely lacking support for touch input and gyro data), but it does work. I have thought about looking into it further as I think it would be a fun raspberry pi (or something) project to create a Wii U gamepad capture device or something to that effect. As of now though, there is no practical way to use a Wii U without a real gamepad.

Reactions: Margen67

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: GM everyone