Gamecube USB Loader possble?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Sebastian25, Apr 7, 2009.

Apr 7, 2009

Sebastian25 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I know we've been spoiled recently with all the great homebrew hacks for the Wii. But I've been eagerly anticipating a method to load Gamecube games from a USB or SD card for a long time.

Theres only a handful of games (which I own) that Id like to have loaded on my wii so that I can finally get rid of my gamecube (wind waker being one of them).

The filesystem for the Wii allows Wii images to be mounted and loaded via USB loader. Does the gamecube mode share the same filesystem? Is it possible to enable in game reset back to the System-Menu from gamecube mode?

If there is one thing that would make the Wii Homebrew Scene untouchable it would be this, I would donate money .. dunno if anyone is workin on this but if you are, keep up the good work.

Darkzero51521 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Dude, I hope so. I'd really like this, being that i'm soon not going to have a DVD drive, haha.

limesherbert New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Bumping this topic...has anyone ever talked about working on it? I'm really interested as well [IMG]

TroyTheZombie New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    No talk of one yet, But I sure hope so. I'd be nice to never use my wii DVD drive again. [IMG]

Dr Eggman I am THE Eggman.

Message Count:
    Canada
    In theory, it is not possible because in MIOS (GC Mode) the software is locked out of the Wii only ports, hardware etc. Thus, GC Homebrew cannot access the USB Port.

But with all these hackers, anything can happen [IMG]
    • Newcomer

mikezila New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Really that doesn't matter. The Wii, even in Wii mode, was never made to run software streaming via USB like the USB loader does now. Older games (Like Twilight Princess, for example that uses IOS 9) didn't have any kind of USB support at all, not even for things like keyboards. A custom MIOS (which already exists for the GC backup loader) could just as easily be made to work with Wii parts. Or hell, you could just get the gamecube software to work under wii mode with some kind of custom m-ios abomination.

I've been hacking on the USB loader code pretty hard trying to get things to load using the custom mios via the usbloader by manually putting GC isos on the WBFS drive, but everything I try causes the Wii to lock up. Some games look kind of like they want to work (video mode changes, HDD is being accessed) but they all choke on a black screen before anything happens.

I'm a horrible programmer, so I'm just shooting around in the dark hoping maybe I'll hit something. Don't expect anything from me. I'm small time.

caster62003 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Aww, don't say that, you know what, I'm sure that all of the current great hackers/coders that we have these day, they all more than likely started out like you, knowing absolutely nothing, then one day they got a break threw, and made a super program that we now drool over, just because we are all super lazy, and just don't want to attempt to start codding. I myself am included in the laziness, so I must send out a thank you to all the super coders that made/making it possible that I do not have to give the big N and more of my money. So keep up the hard work, and one day you too will have everybody drooling over you, now if that isn't something to be looking forwards to?

Now if that isn't sappy at all, but it is the truth, I hope to see something out of you one day.

FenrirWolf New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    From what I understand it isn't just a thing about the MIOS not having USB support or whatever, but that GCN mode is hardcoded to not have access to the rest of the Wii features. But I'm no expert and am likely wrong.
    • Newcomer

Mikerochip New Member

Message Count:
    Ireland
    Not to point out the obvious or anything, but, you know, you *can* get rid of your GameCube, right now.

You don't need a GC to play those games. They work just fine on the Wii [IMG]
    • Former Staff

OSW Wii King

Message Count:
    Australia
    USBGecko - USBLOAD
    SDGecko - SDBoot

[IMG]

But they don't work so great... I can't even get SDBoot to boot anything on my wii.
    • Newcomer

azeazezar New Member

Message Count:
    Belgium
    Adding USB support to mios is possible.
    And since mios is responsible for making the GC games talk to the new drive, it should be less hard the it was to add it to the wii ios.
    On the other hand, wanky and co wont have any twiizer-made tools to modefy the ios, they have to figure it out themselves...

kevenz New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    guess we'll have to wait until wiigator or waninkoko release it.

Knocks New Member

Message Count:
    People who play Japanese games still need a region-modded GameCube to be able to save. Games that use Shift-JIS for save files will not save properly on the Wii.

kevenz New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    someone needs to find a way to do this ! [IMG]

Wiisel New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    even without using the Wii's ports could it be possible using a USBGecko and a modified GCOS bootdisc? its not like its the most expensive piece of kit

Juanmatron Slater Color

Message Count:
    Spain
    We can´t load GC games.This is because to emulate Game Cube USB connections are disconnected and therefore it is impossible to recognize the device.
    Apart from that,games that use microphone or accessories such as classic command can not do that with the CIOs rev9.The likelihood is that the controls may not be used in classical long since turned to the USB controllers are disabled type GC.

Knocks New Member

Message Count:
    That is incorrect. The ISO on the hard drive is emulating the DVD drive, so the system is not treating the drive as a USB device. Why would you say that something is impossible if you can't exclude 100% the possibility of it happening? People have said that all kinds of shit was impossible just to be proven wrong a few months later.

Sebastian25 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    ^ agreed

I remember just a couple months ago people said a gamecube launcher was impossible.

anyways, if it never happens it would be a disappointment... if it does, whomever releases deserves heavenly praise.

either or, i just wish there was a game to create an in game reset method ... because i am too lazy to walk up to my wii and power it off and then on to return to system menu.

Nintendo may release an official MIOS that updates this problem... since it seems counter-intuitive. Maybe with updates from Nintendo come backdoor possibilities.

KirovAir Dutch Alcoholic Programmer

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    There IS being worked on. And it IS possible. Just be patient.

(Oh and to all ppl that don;t think it is possible, think again. [IMG]

"SoftMod without drive modification/flashing will never be possible"
    "LOLLOL USB2 speed on Wii without hardware mod? NO WAY"
    "Gamecube loading is NOT possible!! The MIOS shuts everything down, so too bad :/"

And now:
    "We can´t load GC games.This is because to emulate Game Cube USB connections are disconnected and therefore it is impossible to recognize the device.")
    • Newcomer

Nera New Member

Message Count:
    Belgium
    I really hope you're right =)