Hacking Gamecube to Classic Controller Converter 2 questions

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
The reason I'm against making an external adapter is because I'm taking the open-source design from someone else, re-spinning the PCB's for internal mods and selling those. The guy who originally designed the Wii Retropad Adapter already sells external adapters (albeit large, clunky ones). So if you want an external adapter, go buy one of his. Granted, most of his code was written by other people and released GPL, so it's not like he built the thing from scratch, but I still don't want to be that guy who grabs an open-source design and just starts selling it out from under the guy he took the designs from. What I have personally done is modify the code to support analog triggers and redesign the hardware around surface-mount parts in order to shrink it as much as possible. I'm also working on fixing a minor bug in the ID initialization on IOS reload (it causes the "you need the classic controller" screen in some VC to come up even with the wra plugged in, the workaround is just unplug and replug the cable) My boards are small enough to be used for internal mods, but there is nothing to stop you from buying one and making an external adapter out of it. I just really don't want to do that. I may look into contacting the guy who made the original wra and see what he thinks of me selling these, but otherwise, like I said, I don't want to be that guy.

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
As for lag, I haven't noticed any lag, but I haven't really put it to the test with any super timing-intensive games. Usually, Super Metroid is enough for me to notice input lag, and I didn't notice any there.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason I'm against making an external adapter is because I'm taking the open-source design from someone else, re-spinning the PCB's for internal mods and selling those. The guy who originally designed the Wii Retropad Adapter already sells external adapters (albeit large, clunky ones). So if you want an external adapter, go buy one of his. Granted, most of his code was written by other people and released GPL, so it's not like he built the thing from scratch, but I still don't want to be that guy who grabs an open-source design and just starts selling it out from under the guy he took the designs from. What I have personally done is modify the code to support analog triggers and redesign the hardware around surface-mount parts in order to shrink it as much as possible. I'm also working on fixing a minor bug in the ID initialization on IOS reload (it causes the "you need the classic controller" screen in some VC to come up even with the wra plugged in, the workaround is just unplug and replug the cable) My boards are small enough to be used for internal mods, but there is nothing to stop you from buying one and making an external adapter out of it. I just really don't want to do that. I may look into contacting the guy who made the original wra and see what he thinks of me selling these, but otherwise, like I said, I don't want to be that guy.

Will you be releasing the modified code with the Analog Trigger and ID Initialization fix for people with that guy's external adapter to flash/burn themselves? I am sure people with the external adapters and the hardware needed to flash/burn it would like to have Analog Trigger support.

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
The code is GPL, I have to release my changes. I'll also send them to the guy who maintains the official code repro, what he does with it is up to him, though I would assume he'd add the changes. Just to be clear, I still haven't even figured out why the ID bug occurs, so while I am trying to fix it, it's not at the same point of "this is going to be done as soon as I get the cables" as the analog trigger support. I'll also release the compiled binaries for people to update their adapters if they want to.

HomebrewEnthusiast109876

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What you're missing is that while you may not wanna take the open source code and make your own regular sized converters someone else who mods a LOT for the FGC has shown an interest in doing it.

Basically, if you don't someone will. Don't be a hero.

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
It's not about being a hero.

1)I'm a full time student and have about 6 other projects I'm working on. GC->Wiimote isn't exactly super high on my list seeing as I personally probably won't use one. I'm a lot more interested in SNES->Wiimote myself.
2)Sourcing proprietary cables is a pain. I already have to cannibalize nunchucks for the Wiimote cable. I'd rather not have to source a bunch of GC extension cables as well.
3)I've already said that my boards would work well for external adapters, I just don't want to make them. By a board, make an adapter, be my guest.
4)If somebody else wants to do it, go for it. The designs are open source, nothing I can do to stop you.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just out of curiosity, I've got to ask - other than analog shoulder buttons and/or "what you're used to", what is it that makes you want to use a GameCube controller so much? Or are those two things it?

I ask this because I distinctly remember during the PS2/GCN/Xbox generation that the GCN controller was commonly voted to be people's least favorite controller of the three, though quite a few did at least like the physical ergonomics of the handles and such. Now here we are 10 years later and people seem to absolutely adore the GCN controller, and yet I've found myself liking it less and less... My personal view is the 360 controller is mostly an improvement over the GCN controller (is only lacking the octagon around the analog sticks), but is also trumped by the Classic Controller Pro due to the D-pad and said octagons. (Wii U Pro Controller is unknown at this point)

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
The Classic Controller just feels wrong. The CCPro was better, but even still, I prefer the feel of the GC controller in most instances. My biggest issue with the GC controller was the ABXY layout. The CC wanted to be an SNES controller with analog sticks and Z-Buttons, but it just fails to work for me as an SNES controller. Hence the fact that I'm producing SNES->CC mods like the Japanese Club Nintendo controllers. If I want to play SNES games, I want an SNES controller. The original CC tried to be too many things and it did none of them well.

Reactions: bezem

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just out of curiosity, I've got to ask - other than analog shoulder buttons and/or "what you're used to", what is it that makes you want to use a GameCube controller so much? Or are those two things it?

It's basically just an ordinary controller like the rest (or possibly worse in some cases), but if you use it for Smash Bros, then you'll see the difference. I don't personally have a tendency to keep controllers available except the ones in use (ie. I don't have PSX controllers when PS2/PS3 controllers are at hand), but the GC controller is still sitting next to my Wii Remotes, Nunchucks and Classic Controllers. Been thinking about buying a CC Pro just to test it out (gotta hate Nintendo for the CC ergonomics vs PS3/360 controllers).

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I owned Melee since 2002, so I'm no stranger to Smash Bros. but I still don't really understand the benefit (other than the analog shoulder buttons). Is there something I'm missing? Because honestly I like the CC/Pro's analog sticks better (they're not as loose as the GameCube's, but nowhere to N64 levels)

Also, about the CC/Pro trying to be a SNES pad, I actually never had a SNES (I have a Genesis) and have only really played a SNES once when I was 4, so I wouldn't actually know...

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
The CCPro wasn't trying to be an SNES controller, the original CC was. It failed miserably. The Pro is a marked improvement as a controller due to giving up on that goal.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I owned Melee since 2002, so I'm no stranger to Smash Bros. but I still don't really understand the benefit (other than the analog shoulder buttons). Is there something I'm missing? Because honestly I like the CC/Pro's analog sticks better (they're not as loose as the GameCube's, but nowhere to N64 levels)

Also, about the CC/Pro trying to be a SNES pad, I actually never had a SNES (I have a Genesis) and have only really played a SNES once when I was 4, so I wouldn't actually know...

Are you a casual player for the smash bros series (not intending to offend in case you read this with a tone)? If so, there's a lot of technical aspect to how the control works in regards to the series. I'd give you an entire list and details to everything, but that'd just confuse you. Its easier to understand if you have a competitive spirit for smash bros (especially Melee) and willingness to learn. Otherwise, don't worry too much about it. You can use whatever controller you feel comfortable with. I'm just saying from experience, if you were to play at a tournament level, GC controller is the best route to go.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not a casual player, but I don't play competitively either - I'm more of an "arcade" player, in particular I'm in the "Brawl Minus" camp when it comes to Brawl mods. Using other games as examples, I prefer FPS games to be in the style of Quake/Unreal/TimeSplitters/007Nightfire; racing games to be like F-Zero GX/Hydro Thunder/Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2/Excite Truck; and even better if it's a combination of both like Rush 2049's Battle Mode.

Nevertheless, I do know of the competitive scene and therefore understand why the analog shoulder buttons are advantagous, but other than that I don't get it. I mean, yes the X/Y buttons are located differently, but hitting X on the CC/Pro would be just like hitting Y on the GCN pad, and you can even reach X and Y from the B button on the CC/Pro (but not on the GCN pad).

Other than that, the only other difference I can think of is the shape of the C-stick vs the CC Pro's right analog stick. Does the shape of the C-stick (vs the CC/Pro) somehow make arials easier or faster to perform?

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
The CC has analog triggers too. I don't remember off the top of my head if the CCPro does as well, but I'd be willing to bet it does. The issue wasn't that the CC didn't support analog triggers, it's that the adapter I'm building CURRENTLY doesn't support them, despite reading the values from the GC controller. It just doesn't pass that information along to the wiimote. I wouldn't be able to support analog triggers on the GC controllers if the CC didn't already have them, since I'm IDing the adapter as a CC, so I'm limited to the features that the CC supports (so no rumble, for instance). Honestly, the CC just feels... cheap. There's the fact that, in general, heavy things tend to feel more robust, but also the physical feel of the button presses in general just don't feel right.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CCPro does not have analog triggers, and my question didn't really have anything to do with your issue - I just wanted to understand why people want GameCube controller support so badly since I remember when people didn't even like the controller, and the only thing I could figure out was for the analog shoulder buttons (which the CCPro lacks).

HomebrewEnthusiast109876

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CCPro does not have analog triggers, and my question didn't really have anything to do with your issue - I just wanted to understand why people want GameCube controller support so badly, and the only thing I could figure out was analog shoulder buttons (which the CCPro lacks).

Super

Smash

Bros.

End of reasoning.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Super

Smash

Bros.

End of reasoning.

That's just it though - that's all everyone keeps saying without actually explaining how it's better. I said I already understand the benefit from the analog shoulder buttons in Smash Bros. and how most players are likely accustomed to the controller due to Melee (the reason I even use a GCN pad), but nobody has provided any other reasons and it's baffling me.

HomebrewEnthusiast109876

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's just it though - that's all everyone keeps saying without actually explaining how it's better. I said I already understand the benefit from the analog shoulder buttons in Smash Bros. and how most players are likely accustomed to the controller due to Melee (the reason I even use a GCN pad), but nobody has provided any other reasons and it's baffling me.

People have been using the controller for more than 10 years across Melee and Brawl and countless Brawl mods. Switching now, just for the WiiU is not an easy adjustment and the WiiU allows 1080p play from the console which cuts out the input lag usually brought on due to the Wii only outputting at 480p through component.

bezem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've just always liked the Gamecube controller; to me it was the perfect combination of the SNES and N64 controllers. The CCPro is an improvment over the original CC, but it unfortunately lacks rumble. If Nintendo isn't willing to add support for the Wii U Pro Controller to Wii Mode then a GC modified to be a CC is a welcome compromise for me. I have no other reason.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Purple_Heart, fuck i'm feeling old too