Hacking GameCube ISO's on Wii

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok, just wanna get a simple answer, and yes, I've googled...

If I make/get an SDGeko, and put a GameCube ISO (extracted, or in ISO?) on the SD card, and use the Geko Channel, or Geko in Homebrew Channel, can I play it without a modchip?

Is there any other way of playing GameCube games WITHOUT a modchip on a Wii?

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
zidane_genome said:
linkinworm said:
only with older firmware and action replay and some other software

Can you be a lil more specific? I have 3.3U, and I'm attempting to make an SD Geko...
it is not possible, gecko channel = wii mode, NOT gamecube mode. besides, it's the actual drive itself that checks if it's a legit disc or not. so you can't boot wii backup discs either except in the past with freeloader...
for any gamecube game there is no other way but a modchip.

jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
manias said:
zidane_genome said:
linkinworm said:
only with older firmware and action replay and some other software

Can you be a lil more specific? I have 3.3U, and I'm attempting to make an SD Geko...
it is not possible, gecko channel = wii mode, NOT gamecube mode.

sighhhhh....what a knobend youve just made yourself look like

zidane_genome

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So, I do have to buy a mod chip... wife will NEVER let me do that...

Guess I can put that SD Geko on hold now... oh well... hopefully someone will figure a way to do this...

Was wanting to play Luigi's Mansion one more time, lol

zidane_genome

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok, then is it possible? I'm already 82% done downloading Luigi... I just have to find a way to make the Geko from the parts I have...

If you have a site that explains how, or know how yourself, care to share?

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I have been looking for ways to man. It ticks me off that no Wii hacker has yet developed a Gamecube emulator which you can use on the homebrew channel with Gamecube roms ect...I mean, They have a N64 emulator, a nes, snes, why not a Gamecube? The Wii can already play Gamecube alone. So yeah, I have no clue why there isn't a emulator for it. But if you find an answer on how to play wii/gamecube ISO's without using a modchip. Please PM me about it
rolleyes.gif

WB3000

Trophies
Website
wb3000.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Brian117 said:
It ticks me off that no Wii hacker has yet developed a Gamecube emulator which you can use on the homebrew channel with Gamecube roms ect...I mean, They have a N64 emulator, a nes, snes, why not a Gamecube? The Wii can already play Gamecube alone.

It ticks me off that you have no comprehension of the difficulty of coding such an emulator. Why not Gamecube? Because the Gamecube is a newer console which uses more resources, increased complicated graphics, etc. Go from coding a NES emulator to a N64 one and see which is easier.
tongue.gif

The Wii is not emulating the Gamecube, or at least not to the extent that a regular emulator would. It switches hardware modes and runs the games natively. Finding a way to harness the hardware and trick it to booting an ISO would most likely be easier than coding an emulator.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In any manner that is any good. No.
Apparently it works with SDboot though:
http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/SD-Boot_...tibility_list#L
This is the AR thing people were on about. No idea if you can dupe the Wii into loading it via homebrew channel (I strongly suspect not or someone would have heard about it).

As for GC-SD:
http://gc.scorpei.com/GUIDE-SD_adapter.html

Personally though if you have the skills to make an SD adapter (my advice is use a SD to something adapter rather than trying to source a connector) you should be fine with modding a wii (D2C aside).

originalself

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I hate to be off topic but would it kill people to put a "?" at the end of their topic titles asking if something exists?

This would be a nice feature if someone managed it. I would rather play cube games with a wii/nunchuck than finding a wavebird.

zidane_genome

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have great soldering abilities, the problem is the wife... she won't let me come within 3 feet of the Wii with a screwdriver, lol...

I've modded a PS1, PS2, and an XBOX without any problems.

As for the SDGeko, I'm not using the memory card as a base, but an old addon called the Advance Game Port... it was a 3ed party GBA player that plugs into a memory card port... Can't sell it at GameStop or on Ebay, so I'm going to mod it into an SD Geko.

Mysticcal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
originalself said:
I hate to be off topic but would it kill people to put a "?" at the end of their topic titles asking if something exists?

This would be a nice feature if someone managed it. I would rather play cube games with a wii/nunchuck than finding a wavebird.
Not possible with most games, where's the L/R

also. people, you need to lurk more. this is not possible at all. Sure, you can play a gamecube iso through gamecube menu but you do not emulate the gamecube at all. it plays natively on the gamecube in order to work. there will not ever be a gamecube emulator because emulation requires 5-8x (if not more) the processing power of the console it's emulating. GCOS has come along way since the wii was unveiled. use it, don't expect new things to come unless another major breakthough is discovered.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Mysticcal I suggest you look up/read about hypervisors. 5-8x is what is usually needed for dissimilar systems, I sense it is going to fall into the same "trap" as the GBA and DS did/do/have (why bother when a £20 chip will sort it 50 times better than any emulator will for the next X years).

As for "Advance Game Port" if it works well (I heard about them but usually not good things) we do occasionally get people after things like that so it may be worth looking to see if anyone around here wants one. Depending on what you have plastic forming is not that hard either.

Back on topic it is really chip or nothing at this point (and for the conceivable future), later/mid life PS2 chipping is about as hard as the wii gets with the easiest being equivalent to end of PS1 era chips.

Rykin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:
I have great soldering abilities, the problem is the wife... she won't let me come within 3 feet of the Wii with a screwdriver, lol...

I'm curious. Who bought the Wii? If you did.. go ahead and mod it and don't tell her. I would.
tongue.gif

assassda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
In any manner that is any good. No.
Apparently it works with SDboot though:
http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/SD-Boot_...tibility_list#L
this is correct, you must have some way of booting a Gamecube homebrew program which means either a mod-chip or the Action Replay disc to load SDLoader

Id reccomend picking up a Gamecube at gamestop for $29.99 and if you can find one (i found two) they sell BBA used for $3.99 and then find a copy of PSO which is the best method of playing GC backups with no mod chip

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
jaxxster said:
ignore that guys comments about the gecko thing in wii mode. He was mistaken.
the gecko channel being gecko region free will not let you boot gamecube games. it will let you boot wii games cross-region if you have a modchip, or will let you boot trucha games. http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_apps/Gecko_Region_Free
I was NOT talking about sdgecko.
Zidane you have posted in the gecko-channel threads so you probably already know that.
the sd-gecko could be used to boot gamecube games from an SD card, but it was blocked by firmware updates as was action replay (without GCOS), tho i'm not sure if you can still boot it thru GCOS. But for GCOS, you need a modchip.
did they ever release a new action replay with non-blocked disc headers? if so, you probably could boot sdloader from there.. but if they did not then alas.

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands

denzil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Monkey01 said:
Should be possible as I recently saw a video of someone doing so:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpViNXGUxVg
Gamecube executables are related closely enough to Wii executables for some of them to actually start in Wii mode. The processor and the graphics are compatible to some extent, but that's about it. Anything else is coded differently on the Wii, even Gamecube controllers won't work when Gamecube software is booted in Wii mode. That is why in the video you see nothing but the initial SDLoad screen - he couldn't even press A if he wanted to see the rest of the software run and, eventually, fail.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."