Hardware Gamecube Controllers now work on switch with all games through official wii u smash bros adapter

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can also use n64 controllers by using a n64 to game cube adapter
What is the make of your adapter? Some people seem to be having issues with chaining things together. Not necessarily N64 but in general and as GC controllers were not locked down as far as I know (controller authentication being more of a 360 and up thing) it makes sense to start figuring out what it might be that is causing the problems, probably just power draw issues but eh.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
I feel like people don't realise that the GC adapter compatibility is just a side effect of the compatibility of any USB HID controller.
How can we be certain it is? Considering the official GameCube adapter doesn't even do DINPUT on computers, it feels like it'd require some specific driver to be read, not just generic HIDs.

Reactions: cearp and Xabring

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it work with Mario odyssey??
Kind of. Haven't tested, but it should work as a controller. Unfortunately though, many of the actions in the game are locked to motion controls, making some moons impossible to get without motion. Which means playing in handheld mode is virtually impossible for parts of the game. Which is a shame because most times I play my switch I play in handheld in situations where I can't use the kickstand to properly use split joycon, which the game highly recommends. Motion controls can be turned off, but all that does is make it fully impossible to do certain moves. All around I think it's a terrible decision.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Has anyone ACTUALLY attempted using a generic HID controller? Like a Logitec or PS3 or something?
PS3 isn't generic HID is it? It requires specific drivers.
I've tried with..

- My custom fight stick that runs on an Arudino using UnoJoy (works on PC and PS3) and that had no response at all on the Switch
- PlayStation 4 controller through USB, nothing
- Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver, nothing

I'll bet my left nut a PS3 controller wont work. I'll try when I get out of bed :-)

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Kind of. Haven't tested, but it should work as a controller. Unfortunately though, many of the actions in the game are locked to motion controls, making some moons impossible to get without motion. Which means playing in handheld mode is virtually impossible for parts of the game. Which is a shame because most times I play my switch I play in handheld in situations where I can't use the kickstand to properly use split joycon, which the game highly recommends. Motion controls can be turned off, but all that does is make it fully impossible to do certain moves. All around I think it's a terrible decision.
I played few hours yesterday in tv mode, so I have no idea how to do certain move through motion have you ever tried to shake handheld or flip touchscreen to see if it works??

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou