Homebrew Gamecube compatibly for Wii RVL-101?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
To cut costs, indeed. That's all there is to it. It's kinda pointless, as those new wiis cost about the same as an second hand one on ebay (in fact: those are often cheaper). But apparently people still buy it.

BTW: you may have voided your warranty by unscrewing parts of your wii. So it may be that the only advantage over a second hand one is gone already.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
They didn't leave the memory card slots. They just left the holes in the housings. To play gamecube disks, you would need another dvd drive and you would need to resolder the gamepad and memory card connectors on the mobo. As those are special types used by Ninty only, you only can remove them from another wii motherboard. A second hand older wii is indeed the better solution.

They don't have special hardware for gamecube emulation on the wii mobo besides the connectors, and maybe some Emc filtering components.

They seem to have mounted one connector instead of one of the memory slots. It's probably because they used it for diagnostics or repair.
(Just take a look at the savemii device)

ScienceCat83

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The controller ports, from what I know, are not soldered onto the board.

And I'm pretty sure the drive just spits GameCube discs out.

I'm not sure why it would spit the discs right out. Does the game disc channel show a GameCube disc icon hovering next to the regular disc? That's the screen I have and I wonder if mine would also spit discs out... thanks.
One of the memory card ports also for some reason has a connector for a cable in it.... What's that for?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure why it would spit the discs right out. Does the game disc channel show a GameCube disc icon hovering next to the regular disc? That's the screen I have and I wonder if mine would also spit discs out... thanks.
One of the memory card ports also for some reason has a connector for a cable in it.... What's that for?

This thread is from 2012. As far as I know the optical drives in the Wiis that do not have Gamecube ports do not have the mechanism required to center the discs properly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    ?tuw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yltcaxE
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ¡¡¡ tttoN
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ssssey ioBtneicnA@
    +1
    :angry: ¡¡¡¡¡ oooooooooooooooooooooooN
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ?draeh ton uoy evaH
    Gives you "The 🖕 BIRD" :tpi::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    :2lfor::2lfor::2lfor::ipt: "DRIB 🖕ehT" uoy seviG. *
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Atmosphere and Hekate both have been updated to support FW 18. Yay!
    Who to the who to the wut? And supports a Fort Worth 18yo?
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Who to the who to the wut? And supports a Fort Worth 18yo?