GameCube Action Replay v1.14b on a Wii [2014]

Discussion in 'Wii - Tutorials & FAQs' started by jonthedit, Jun 20, 2011.

Jun 20, 2011

jonthedit Student by Day, Bike Drummer by Night

Message Count:
    United States
    //Last Updated 6/17/2014 @ 5:06PM GMT -7~
    [IMG]

Introduction
    Hello tempers/lurkers/whoever stumbles upon this thread!
    I doubt anyone wants to read a wall of text, so here is a brief introduction~

Action Replay GameCube, or ARGC for short, is a cheating/hacking device created by Datel.
    It is used to modify GameCube games to create a unique experience.
    The newer verison of ARGC, v2.0, does not allow for users to input their own codes, and is compatible with the Nintendo Wii. What is the point of that?! That takes away the fun! The good news is a Wii coder, under the alias Buzbee, created a homebrew application that modifies the older v1.14b ARGC Launcher to work on a Wii. Let us begin!

VIDEO TUTORIAL

WRITTEN TUTORIAL
    1. Requirements
    • Soft modded Nintendo Wii Console
    • GameCube Controller
    • GameCube Game
    • 3rd party memory card (any will work)
    • Less than or equal to 2GB SD Card (No SDHC, only SD! 4GB+ SD cards are SDHC!)
    • SD card reader or some way to get files on your SD card.
    2. [PC] SD Setup
    1. Backup all of your SD card content to your computer.
    2. Format your SD card to FAT32 with Allocation size of 4096 bytes.
    3. Download the package of your choice (Barebones is recommended install, see FAQ for difference of packages).
    4. Google ar114.dol and RVL-mios-v10.wad (I can not provide these in the package, they are copyrighted content).
    5. After downloading ar114.dol and RVL-mios-v10.wad, replace the stub files in the package with the real ones.
    6. Open the gc_saves.OPENandMODIFY folder and delete the two files you do not need (If you are on a US console delete everything except US.gci, if you are on EU delete everything except EU.gci.
    7. Rename gc_saves.OPENandMODIFY to gc_saves
    8. (Optional) Eject/Safely remove SD (some card readers might corrupt GCI files if not ejected)
    3. [Wii] Installation

Preparation
    1. Turn on your Wii console and remove any attached accessories, external hard drives, and eject the disc.
    2. Insert your 3rd party memory card into SLOT-A, a GameCube controller into PORT-1, and the SD card into the SD card slot.
    3. Verify the memory card has at least 29 blocks of free space under Wii Options > Data Management > Save Data > Nintendo GameCube (I recommend at least 100 blocks, get a BIG 3rd party memory card if you plan on adding lots of codes)
    cMIOS Installation
    1. Open the Homebrew Channel
    2. In the Homebrew Channel, open "Installer for WiiGator's cMIOS" (It will have a banner of the package you selected to download)
    3. Once the application loads, it will ask you to choose the IOS to load. Load IOS 236 or 249. If you do not have these available, see the FAQ below.
    4. A message will come up warning you bricks are possible, wait and do not touch the Wii-Mote until it tells you to press [IMG] .
    5. Press [IMG] , then when MIOS Menu shows up, press [IMG].
    6. Leave the configuration alone and with "Install patched MIOSv10" highlighted, press [IMG].
    7. <Load MIOS from sd card> will show up, press [IMG].
    8. The program will prepare the MIOS for installation, press [IMG] again to execute the installation.
    9. The cMIOS will be installed. Once it finishes, press any key to exit back to the Homebrew Channel.
    Copying the GCI to the Memory Card
    1. You should be at the Homebrew Channel; Before proceeding ensure the Memory card is in SLOT-A, and that the GameCube Controller is in PORT-1.
    2. Open the "GameCube Saver" application and load it.
    3. Switch over to your GameCube controller.
    4. A message will appear asking you to Press A, B, or START on your controller for corresponding actions. Press [IMG].
    5. "Loading filelist." will appear. If an error occurs visit the FAQ. A message will pop up asking, "Would you like to copy US.gci?" or "Would you like to copy EU.gci?" Press "[IMG]" again. The copying will start and should progress quickly (about 512 bytes per line). At the end of the copy you should see "File read successfully." followed by a STACKDUMP ERROR a few seconds later (typically 1-5 seconds). If the STACKDUMP ERROR occurs instantly, still check Step 8.
    6. Hard Reset your Wii (Hold the POWER button down for 5-7 seconds).
    7. The disc drive will make some noise, then the Wii will start up normally.
    8. Go to Wii Options > Data Management > Save Data > Nintendo GameCube and verify there is an Action Replay save data icon along with "iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" for the description of the save. If the save file is there, proceed to the next section. If not, try the process again with another memory card and MAKE SURE you are using a 2GB or LESS SD card! If the problem still persists, visit the FAQ below.
    Preparing for Launch of the Action Replay GameCube v1.14b
    1. Remove the 3rd party memory card from SLOT-A and place it in SLOT-B.
    2. Insert the desired GameCube game into the Wii disc drive.
    3. Was that so hard? :P
    4. [Wii] Enjoying Action Replay GameCube v1.14b
    Running ARBooter114
    1. Open the Homebrew Channel
    2. Locate "Action Replay V1.14 Loader" application
    3. Open the application
    4. Watch the screen, does it detect ar114.dol? If not, visit the FAQ below.
    5. The screen will be blasted with green for less than one second if the cMIOS is installed correctly. You will then be greeted by a purple-indigo looking Action Replay loading screen. If the screen stays green and you are not prompted with the Action Replay screen the cMIOS failed to properly install. Visit the FAQ below.
    6. If the Action Replay loads correctly and you have no message such as "INSERT THE ACTION REPLAY HARDWARE" or "INSERT DISC" then congratulations, you did it! Enjoy the Action Replay! [IMG]
    5. [PC] SD Cleanup
    1. Insert SD card and copy ar114.dol from the root of your SD card into the root of your SD Backup folder.
    2. Open the "apps" folder in the SD card and copy the "ARBooter114" folder into the "apps" folder of your SD Backup.
    3. Format the SD card again.
    4. Copy your backup back over to your SD card.
    • All you need to keep from the package is "ar114.dol" and "ARBooter114" app.
    6. [Wii] Channel Installation
    • You will need MMM or another WAD Manager that can load IOS 249 or 236.
    • Uses 30 Wii Memory BLOCKs
    • Channel Preview Available:
    Channel Preview

1. Reload WAD Manager in IOS 236 or 249
    2. Install Action Replay GCv114 - ARGC.wad Forwarder
    3. Enjoy~
    Downloads
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

:download: Mirrors
    BB Mirror #1
    BB Mirror #2
    * [Not Yet Available] *
    MAX Mirror #1
    MAX Mirror #2
    TRBL Mirror #1
    TRBL Mirror #2

FAQ
    <Coming When Needed [No Demand]~>

//TBU
    Old Tutorial Format

Major Credit:
    Credit to original tutorial poster and inspiration: Hells Guardian
    Credit to ARLoader coder Buzbee

Other Credits
    Credit to Amazon for Wii Render
    Credit to WiiPower (hey looks he posted below me the day I made this thread in 2011!) for coding the cMIOS installer
    Credit to Dasda for GameCube Saver
    Credit to strategywik for Wii button images
    Credit to Datel for Action Replay Disc and Memory Card Render
    Credit to shutterstock for download background image
    Credit to Sandisk for SD card render
    Credit to gbatemp.net for the smiley holding Wii U render
    Credit to jonthedit for writing this tutorial, editing the images (creating smiley holding AR disc, thumbnail art, etc)
    Last edited by jonthedit, Aug 5, 2014
    Margen67, curley12 and h4nd0y0 like this.

WiiPower New Member

Message Count:
    Germany
    Can you check if you can scratch using AnyTitle Deleter? If you use IOS236 in the cMIOS installer, it should be able to just overwrite any MIOS or cMIOS you have installed. And since you can only have one MIOS or cMIOS at any time, it doesn't matter if you deleted it before or not.
    jonthedit likes this.

giantpune New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    the action replay.dol and mios.wad included in that DL are copyrighted material. not sure about the other files included.
    • Supervisor

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Message Count:
    Italy
    And on top of that, there's also bootmii in there, which Team Twiizers asked to not redistribute.

Download links removed because of that. You'll have to put up a download without copyrighted files, or otherwise the links will keep getting deleted.

Message Count:
    United States
    For some people, (like me) have to use AnyTitle Deleter because they get an error when trying to overwrite.

WiiPower New Member

Message Count:
    Germany
    Then you didn't install IOS236 correctly, it needs all 4 patches. AnyTitle Deleter won't work for most people, and it's one of the most dangerours apps, so you want ot avoid using it if possible, and it is.
    • Supervisor

Message Count:
    Italy
    Good, we're getting there, but there's still in there the AR wad, which can't be included, and I had to remove the links again [IMG]

Message Count:
    United States
    Actually, you're wrong this time. That is my channel I made, its just a launcher.
    And sorry for posting in the wrong section. Thanks for moving it. [IMG]
    • Supervisor

Message Count:
    Italy
    Duh, looks like I had to test it first then, too bad I didn't have my Wii near, that time [IMG] It was the name that threw me off [IMG]

Feel free to re-add the links by editing your post [IMG]
    • Newcomer

matthenry New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Yea so i have a problem, i did the things in homebrew... and when i start Action Replay it boots up but says "please insert your Action Replay Hardware into Slot B", and nothing i do seems to work. Can anyone help??? (I think it has something to do w/ Game Cube Saver, and saving the US.GCI file to the memory card, but another question is do i have to erase everything on my gcube mem card for it to copy US.GCI???) Thanks

Message Count:
    United States
    1) Is the memory card 3rd party? (Intec, Madcat, etc)
    2) Did you properly place the memory card into slot B, copy the GCI to slot B, and place the card in Slot B while booting the AR up?
    3) Did you temporarily remove the 2nd memory card in slot A?
    4) Is your memory card 123 blocks or higher?
    5) Is your Wii a 4.0U or higher?
    Hope that helps~

nikeymikey New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Does anybody have this working 100% of the time?

In my testing of this i have had no games successfully boot up after selecting codes, plus after the reading disc ID and starting AR.... sometimes i just get a funny stripy screen followed by the no signal prompt from my tv.

I am using ORIGINAL AR hardware, dont know if that makes any difference........

Edit: Fixed it. I had the AR in the wrong slot lol, funny how it actually loaded a couple of times and even showed the code list...

What is the best cMIOS to use with this? And does it work with backups? I have had zero success so far with backups.

Message Count:
    United States
    The cMIOS I tell you about is the best one... PM me for further information.
    • Newcomer

Macopride64 New Member

Message Count:
    Australia
    Is there any program on a PC that allows you to add action replay codes to the ar114.dol or to the save file (us.gci or eu.gci)?Because whenever I add codes and I play with them the next time I go to Action Replay there not there. And also it would be better to have one for PC because it takes too long to enter codes on Action Replay.
    • Newcomer

cubemaniac1231 New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    It doesn't say the password [IMG]

duffmmann New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Does this work with multi-boot discs?

wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

Message Count:
    United States
    it tells you what the password is............

Message Count:
    United States
    I kinda do. Do some thinking.
    Last edited by jonthedit, Apr 8, 2014

pepxl GFX W!Z4RD

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Does this work with GC backups? cause i just get a stripy screen when trying to boot the game with the recommended cMIOS(not sure if its AR114b recommended)
    • Newcomer

Gelfdragon New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    I've got the same problem as cubemaniac the password doesn't show in the spoiler

SPONSORED LINKS