Gaming Gameboy Advance game authenticity

Voltshock R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey. So I found a copy of Metroid Fusion at a pawn shop the other day at a really good price. In purchasing, I forgot to ask if I could test out the game in a system at their store. I figured it would be alright, since the front and the pin connectors seemed legit.
When I finally got home and took a closer look (open up with triwing), I noticed first that it saves only with flash memory (I read that some have batteries) and that the second to last pin on the right side was slightly short than the rest (it is difficult to notice at first).
I haven't got around to testing it, due to cleaning off the sticker reside on the backside of the cartridge.
I think that it is authentic, but that pin....... Would that affect whether I could play it?

Voltshock R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
100_4237.JPG
100_4238.JPG

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's real even if it wasn't it wouldn't make a difference the only games where it matter are the pokemon ones, since time based events don't happen in ruby sapphire and emerald and pal park to the ds games don't work for any of them.

Voltshock R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha. Funny. Say is there a list on here noting all the GBA carts with SRAM Battery Saves and those with the EEPROM Flash?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are four types of save, five if you include no save/password and I should mention also things like pokemon which used flash but had a battery for the onboard clock.
This is as SRAM gets split in two between the battery having SRAM and the electrically similar but no battery having FeRAM. I believe there are even some games that got reprints that used batteries first but later went to FeRAM.

Also the all fake games contain batteries thing is no longer in effect. Some fakes do other things now http://gbatemp.net/threads/is-this-a-legit-pal-copy-of-ninja-cop-ninja-five-o.390496/#post-5527912 for an example.

Anyway the advanced search on http://www.advanscene.com/ should tell you what goes. Similarly the ROM management tools (offline list is what I use but most would say it is pretty outdated) also do good stuff.

Reactions: Voltshock R

Touko White

(not)Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Definitely legit, as you say some of them used batteries, some flash.
The shorter pin is probably due to some sort of damage.

The sticker also doesn't look fake: no weird fonts or whatever seem to be present.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: