Hacking game saving

ryokoseigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can I get clarification on when the game has been saved? Is it when you press the home button, or is it on pressing close?

If its on close does this mean you need to reboot the game each save?

How often, if ever do games simply crash from saving? (no emunand installed) i normally play games and just leave them running with the Ds closed, would this be unadvised?

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You don't need to close the game every time you save.
When you close the game using the "Home method" (press Home, X, then A), it will export your save so it can be used again when you start the game up again.
You shouldn't close the game by pressing the power button or letting the battery run out, as this won't export the save and you might lose your progress.

i.e. You only need to export your save when closing the game (if you keep playing, you don't need to export necessarily, unless you want to make a backup to be sure in case of crashes)
And closing the game should be done using the "Home method".

CIH137

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this going to be something they change in the 2.0 version gateway is coming out with? I feel like it could go hand in hand with multi rom, but I don't know much about the actual saving methods

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is this going to be something they change in the 2.0 version gateway is coming out with? I feel like it could go hand in hand with multi rom, but I don't know much about the actual saving methods
Nobody knows, sadly... It would be nice, though. And yeah, on at least a superficial level, it does seem like it goes hand in hand.

Reactions: CIH137

ryokoseigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
im a bit confused on this, the save is currently on the microSD card until exported, yes? So why do you lose the save if the game gets closed without exporting it to the SD card?

Do games auto read from the SD card on launch, thus you will have no save, or your previous save loaded instead of your microsd save? I would have assumed they made games running in gateway only read from the microsd card, and the SD exporting was just to backup the save when you change games... Considering the extent of the exploit its kinda odd that isnt doable.

earny

Trophies
XP
Country
France
the save is on a chip on the gateway, the "home + close" thing is to transfer the save to the 3DS SD card for a later use, if you play some different game.

if you are using the same game (rom) the chip inside the gateway still hold your current save. if you change game (rom), this chip data are erase for the new game (rom)

ryokoseigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh, so it does in fact keep the save so long as you dont change the microSd card? Then why is it there are people complaining they lost their save due to a crash when they did Home+close? Is this a problem with retail carts only then?

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh, so it does in fact keep the save so long as you dont change the microSd card? Then why is it there are people complaining they lost their save due to a crash when they did Home+close? Is this a problem with retail carts only then?
No, it's a problem with the ROM. What exactly is causing it is unknown.
People theorize that people press Home too quickly after saving in the game -- The save is still being written when it's interrupted, and when you close the game, you essentially will have corrupted the save.

CIH137

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it's a problem with the ROM. What exactly is causing it is unknown.
People theorize that people press Home too quickly after saving in the game -- The save is still being written when it's interrupted, and when you close the game, you essentially will have corrupted the save.

Does it corrupt everything or just your most recent save? Would it be good to back up saves on the computer or something?

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Does it corrupt everything or just your most recent save? Would it be good to back up saves on the computer or something?
I... honestly really don't know, sorry. I don't have the problem myself (because I don't play the game), so I cannot confirm or try it out.
But I'd always back up my saves frequently, just to be on the safe side.

I theorize, though, that you only lose your most current save. The one on the on-board chip gets corrupted and upon starting the game, it will load the save from the SD.

Reactions: CIH137

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Purple_Heart, uh yes i'm really 14