Gaming Game recommendations for a rather picky person?

wheato

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all. I was wondering whether I could get some 3DS or regular DS game recommendations for my fiancee? She likes puzzle games such as the Professor Layton series (which she's completed all of) and Doctor Lautrec, and she thinks May's Mysteries is OK. She doesn't like the Phoenix Wright series though. She's after a good puzzle game like Layton or Lautrec. So, any ideas which puzzle game I could get her next?

She would also like a good platformer. Something like New Super Mario Bros and Yoshi's Island, as she really enjoyed those games.

Thanks a lot in advance for any suggestions.

Reactions: Margen67

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Get her to try Bravely Default. One of the best games on the 3DS in my opinion. :)
She might not like it, but she should try it out at least.

Platformers: Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, Super Mario 3D Land
Puzzle: Rhythm Thief, Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney (since she's a Layton fan she will probably like it even if she's not an Ace Attorney fan)

wheato

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the suggestions.

She's completed Layton vs Phoenix Wright. She thought it was ok, but the Ace Attorney bits bored her. I'll look in to Rhythm Thief. I'll also ask her about Donkey Kong and Mario 3D Land.

Bravely Default... I dunno. I tried the demo and didn't find it much fun. Then again, I tried the MH4U demo and hated it. I then decided to give the full game of MH4U a shot, and I think it's brilliant. Either way, I'm not sure she'd enjoy Bravely Default as I've never known her to get into an RPG game.

D

Deleted User

Megaman 64/Legends. I just started playing yesterday and its one of the best things I've played in a while.

D

Deleted User

Is that game available on DS/3DS? I just did a quick Google search, and only found it on N64, PSP, and PS1.
No, but I'm glad I bought an NTSC N64 just to play it.

On 3DS I really liked Kid Icarus Uprising and the Zelda remasters. Star Fox 64 3D is great too but unless you're a hardcore who loves to keep beating highscores it won't last you long.
Kirby Triple Deluxe is a great platformer.
About half of the Kid Icarus Uprising fans I know love professor layton

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thanks for the suggestions.

She's completed Layton vs Phoenix Wright. She thought it was ok, but the Ace Attorney bits bored her. I'll look in to Rhythm Thief. I'll also ask her about Donkey Kong and Mario 3D Land.

Bravely Default... I dunno. I tried the demo and didn't find it much fun. Then again, I tried the MH4U demo and hated it. I then decided to give the full game of MH4U a shot, and I think it's brilliant. Either way, I'm not sure she'd enjoy Bravely Default as I've never known her to get into an RPG game.

Me too. Then I decided to try the full game and regretted not doing so sooner. It's so different from the demo it might as well be a completely different game (and it kinda is, since the demo content is not in the main game)

wheato

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No, but I'm glad I bought an NTSC N64 just to play it.

On 3DS I really liked Kid Icarus Uprising and the Zelda remasters. Star Fox 64 3D is great too but unless you're a hardcore who loves to keep beating highscores it won't last you long.
Kirby Triple Deluxe is a great platformer.
About half of the Kid Icarus Uprising fans I know love professor layton

She'd never play Star Fox. She's missing out! :P I think Kid Icarus and Star Fox are too fast paced for her. She likes games where she has to solve puzzles and stuff, and not feel too rushed.

She's tried playing Kirby's Adventure, but couldn't get the hang of it (As easy as it is). Even my six year old son has mastered the controls, but she can't seem to get the hang of them...

D

Deleted User

She'd never play Star Fox. She's missing out! :P I think Kid Icarus and Star Fox are too fast paced for her. She likes games where she has to solve puzzles and stuff, and not feel too rushed.

She's tried playing Kirby's Adventure, but couldn't get the hang of it (As easy as it is). Even my six year old son has mastered the controls, but she can't seem to get the hang of them...
Kirby's Adventure suffers from NES syndrome (though not as bad as other games like Zelda and Metroid), If she can handle NSMB (which I don't understand how anyone can) she should be able to handle some Kirby games.

wheato

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Escape

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If she likes puzzles, then she should definitely give Ghost Trick a shot, it's a brilliant game and has a fantastic story.

Reactions: GaaraPrime

wheato

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If she likes puzzles, then she should definitely give Ghost Trick a shot, it's a brilliant game and has a fantastic story.

I forgot about that one! She's got it, and has played it a bit. I think she likes it, but not as much as Layton.

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
The Zero escape series: 9 hours 9 persons 9 doors for the DS, and Virtue's last reward for the 3DS. It's a visual novel/escape the room adventure game. Rather heavy on the plot and the "Eureka-feeling". Also, playing 999 before VLR is a must, otherwise she won't understand a thing when the plot starts untangling.

Reactions: bowser

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So why exactly, when someone asks specifically for puzzle and platform recommendations on 3/ds, do people recomment space shooters, rpgs and shooters on n64?
i mean i get that broadening her horizonth would be better for her in the long run, as theres a really finite number of good puzzle and platform games, but thats not what OP wanted.

with layton and his clone, lautrec, she's already got all the puzzlegames of that sort down, there are no others that are very similar to that. theres puzzle games like picross, sudoku or polarium, but those aren't half as diverse as layton games would be. brain age games can also be thinking intensive and they at least come with a variety of 'games' but not everyone enjoys those.

she might like 999 on the ds, a visual novel game (which is basically what the story segments of layton games are) that has a bunch of escape the room puzzles.
phantom trick might also be enjoyable, maybe.

as for platforming, theres a bunch of new super mario bros. hacks that give you more levels to play. if you have a flashcard, those might be something to look into. and of course, theres new super mario bros 2 and super mario 3D land on 3ds if you havent had those already

Henry Hatsworth and the puzzling adventure has you play both, a platforming on the top screen and a candycrush-like puzzlegame on the bottom.

the castlevania games on ds (dawn of sorrow, portrait of ruin and order of ecclesia) all got platforming, but they're also heavy on rpg hacknslash elements.

megaman zero collection and megaman zx and zx advent on ds is similar to castlevania games with heavy platforming and some action rpg elements. those games are pretty challenging though, as are most megaman games (of which you can download many NES titles from the eshop, older mario titles too)

if its still on the eshop, that Shantea game (theres a gbc game and a dsiware successor i think)

N+ is that ninja jump and run game you might have played online years ago. lots of platforming, but very frustrating at some points

then theres sonic rush and sonic rush adventure, kirby superstar ultra

oh and super princess peach.

those are all the games i can come up with. most are for ds so if you got a flashcard, you can just check them out and see if any work for you. otherwise, i'd advise you to spend some time on youtube first

Reactions: wheato

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What on Earth is a NES syndrome?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_eating_syndrome Would make sense in a Kirby game I suppose.
Night, Dawn, Afternoon... every eating disorder I suppose (initials pun intended).
Me too. Then I decided to try the full game and regretted not doing so sooner. It's so different from the demo it might as well be a completely different game (and it kinda is, since the demo content is not in the main game)

I also played the demo, found it OK. Then played the full game and found it quite good, UNTIL the eternal repetition cycle, afterwards it was just OKish.

Now regarding game recommendations, perhaps Another Code Two Memories for the DS? (in the puzzle thingy department, but it is a graphic adventure)
If I think of something else, I will come back.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s