ROM Hack Game Center CX : Arino no Chosenjo 2 (New Start?)

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Another week, another step closer to me ignoring my 3DS in favor of my DS. :D And something to motivate us all:

It's a boring job but little by little,
raise his level and it's an easy win!
Fly over the sea before your eyes!
His greatest rivals are flying birds; he hates them.
Go under! Go under!
Kacho Fighter keeps on fighting!

Aaand you should also ignore the 3DS sequel, Arino's Challenge 3.
It's a horrendous title, the more I see reviews and gameplay videos about it, an affront to everything that made the first two games so great.
A throwback to the era of shitty flash games with none of the flair and polish of the Indiezero-developed ones. Speaking of them, they're also the ones developing NES Remix 1/2.

(The 3DS is a fine piece of hardware though, me thinks. I'll wait for more Vita J-RPG support but I know I'll just do impulse purchase anyways a year or two down the line)

Aaron Chmielowiec

Wielder of the 4 sacred cheeses
OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
My goals for this week:

* finish the Triotos DX taunts
* put single byte character support for punctuation in the magazines and manuals
* polish up the magazines/manuals
* fix up the spacing in the Adventure Games
* do a more thorough check of the RPG
* make mockups of the Kung fu moves to put in the game

I don't know if I'll get all of it done in a week, but for me, that is all that is left to do for the game. Graphic-wise there is the manuals and magazines, the memo screen, daily challenges, Kung fu title and in-game special move titles, maybe a small tile swap for the Triotos games and...is that it? Maybe the ending "Owari" screen?

AndrewRoks1998

Newcomer
Trophies
In your kitchen cabinet, behind the bread
XP
Country
United States
Triotos works fine, demo messages and all. Other than the global "Now Playing" in the bottom screen, when you win in VS mode, the background fills with 勝 tiles. 勝ち means "to win" but it says "You win!" right there so I'm not sure if I really have to do anything to those background tiles. Westerners can just see it as a pretty pattern.

youwin.png
Sorry if I'm a little late here, but here's another suggestion to replace the "勝".

XYRtkAh.png

Whether you use this one or draw your own, I think that a smiley face would be a good symbol to put there.

usr_share

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I would put ⭕s for victory and ❌s for defeat. AFAIK, these would have the advantage of being acceptable symbols for victory/defeat in such a game.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
The only known copy of something and someone's ignorance lead to it being lost...

Is that translation project still in limbo? There is still work to do on this project but it is rapidly reaching it's conclusion. If that game just requires messing with bitmap files as a whole it might not be so bad to do.
Honestly, I could do bitmap files myself if it's really that simple. We could tag-team it, though. One person does images, the other does the tutorials. Wherever those are. Apparently my friend who was doing the translation looked it up and found that the files holding the in-game text might be proprietary formats no other game uses.

I would put ⭕s for victory and ❌s for defeat. AFAIK, these would have the advantage of being acceptable symbols for victory/defeat in such a game.
Just saying, but my computer isn't displaying either of those symbols. Just boxes. You might want to describe the symbols you were trying to post...

Reactions: Pix3l

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Okay, all Triotos DX taunts are in place. That was far too much busy work...

Also, I assume we're leaving wonderful misspellings as is, right?

congratuls.png

Hmm, 〇 and × are certainly possible. Here are the tiles I have to work with. Other than 勝 and 負 (Win/Lose), I see 完 (which can mean complete or finished depending on context) and another one 詰 but I'm not sure where that is used. I'm not even sure on the context. "Packed" or "Stuffed" doesn't quite do it for me.

triotosbgtiles.png

AndrewRoks1998

Newcomer
Trophies
In your kitchen cabinet, behind the bread
XP
Country
United States
Okay, all Triotos DX taunts are in place. That was far too much busy work...

Also, I assume we're leaving wonderful misspellings as is, right?

congratuls.png

Likely, that's not a misspelling, but simply the game only putting each letter in once to save space, and reusing the same letters when they're needed again. For example, the title screen of the arcade game Frogger has the title screen graphics in the ROM as simply "FROGE", but it reuses the G and the R to form "FROGGER".

Here's a quick mock-up I made of how it should appear in game.
jUWdpeh.png
(it could also easily be the classic "CONGLATURATIONS!!" :P)

And here's a frown face to compliment the smiley face I made earlier.

ykY1Yrp.png

I reused the smile and frown faces over the "完" and "詰" tiles, since they seem like different (possibly unused) wordings of the "勝" and "負" tiles. (i.e. packed/stuffed meaning you stacked enough blocks to hit the top of the screen, which makes you lose in most games of this sort)
Unless you know that those tiles are used for something completely different than the win/lose tiles, I'd suggest that you simply copy whatever win/lose tiles you use over them.

Reactions: Celice and Pix3l

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Aaand you should also ignore the 3DS sequel, Arino's Challenge 3.
It's a horrendous title, the more I see reviews and gameplay videos about it, an affront to everything that made the first two games so great.
A throwback to the era of shitty flash games with none of the flair and polish of the Indiezero-developed ones. Speaking of them, they're also the ones developing NES Remix 1/2.

(The 3DS is a fine piece of hardware though, me thinks. I'll wait for more Vita J-RPG support but I know I'll just do impulse purchase anyways a year or two down the line)
So it was indieszero who did NES Remix? Wow, I should have guessed... it's totally Game Center CX.

Yeah, the third game does look... poor. Aaron gave it a little review a few pages ago.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
jUWdpeh.png
(it could also easily be the classic "CONGLATURATIONS!!" :P)
Could be one of these... (found all of these via google, just to make sure they existed)
  • Congratulations!
  • Congratulation! (just the one)
  • Congraturations!
  • Congraturation!
  • Conglaturations!
  • Conglaturation!
  • Congratulations! You lose!
I particularly like that last one, actually. (edit: Google tells me that's from "Retro City Rampage". Huh.)

...hey, can I vote for it to say "Congratulsi"? I actually am quite fond of such a bizarre non-word.

usr_share

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I thought "完" is used as "the end". At least, I've seen it in the ending screens of many games shown in GCCX videos. I think you can see it in Triotos if you beat the 1P RIVAL on LV. 10 or LV. DEATH. (When does it appear?)

And "詰" shows up when you get a game over in 1P ENDLESS mode. Makes sense, since you're not _losing_ to anyone.

Here's my ideas:
q31ZVVl.png

P.S. Talking about funny mistakes, beating LV. DEATH gives you the message that says "UMBELIEVABLE" with an M.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Okay, I have been going through the manuals and magazines (text) now that I finished with the Triotos DX taunts. I haven't gotten through all of them yet but I did find a number of places where a line ran a bit off the screen. (Sometimes a lot and it looped back around on the left side elsewhere).

I still can't get certain single byte characters to display like ' and " so I've been working around that limitation. With the quotation marks I can use a double byte one without a space around it and that works all right. The apostrophe is a bit of an issue. Right now I'm trying to write in a way that I don't need it, but it would be extremely helpful to be able to use that character. I was going to put it back in the font but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

In any case they (the manuals and magazines) are starting to look better now but there is still a fair bit to do on them. Give me a couple days to get through this all. It probably won't be "perfect" by then, but at least it should be more presentable; the first draft was a mad dash just trying to get the rough English in as a place holder)

Oh, I figured after I posted the letters were probably recycled. Still, part of me wished they did an NES Ghostbusters ending complete with "You have prooved the justice of our culture"

EDIT> Thanks for the Triotos suggestions.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Still, part of me wished they did an NES Ghostbusters ending complete with "You have prooved the justice of our culture"
I wish they could've left enough stuff to have "Congratulations! You lose!" on the lose screen.

As much as that cracks me up, it doesn't quite seem appropriate for this translation.
It's highly appropriate. Just as appropriate as the ending message of Ikari Warriors.

Also, I just stole that Congratulsi so it could be preserved forever.

P.S. Talking about funny mistakes, beating LV. DEATH gives you the message that says "UMBELIEVABLE" with an M.
Sound like an intentional mistranslation.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I booted up the original Retro Game Challenge earlier this morning, after a night of fun with friends... man, I forgot how amazing these games are. I was a fan before of this project and the work going into it, but I've rekindled my gamer blood. Can't wait for this to get released!

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Trust me, the second is even better. After playing that so much, the first (while still awesome) just doesn't seem to rise to the same level.

I added the Chat and Telephone conversations to the repository and fixed some nasty bugs that would crash the game if players selected it in some cases (new line characters in a user choice dialogue is a no-no)

The manuals and magazines are going very nice (text). The graphics are almost done from what I hear.

In fact, most of the remaining graphics in the game are getting finished. If I can remember, I'll try to take a new video this week (later on) to show just how far it has progressed (and how it is nearing completion).

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just started the first Retro Game Challenge recently too. Looks like you'll be done with the sequel in plenty of time for me to get to it next :D

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
How about a tiny tombstone icon or something? I can't art so I won't try, but that might work for the left one?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16