Hardware Future support for off TV wii mode?

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just got Wii U a couple of days ago and I was seeing how the game pad has a built in Wii sensor bar. What is the point of this? Were they originally planning on supporting this but then scrapped it?

Do you think a future update will allow you to play wii games off the TV? Is there any technical/hardware reason Nintendo couldn't do this?

The only thing I can think of is how the new Virtual Console is hyping up off TV as a feature you have to pay for.

This would be an awesome feature, why in the hell doesn't Wii U support off TV play for wii mode?

Would you pay to unlock this feature? How much?

Also, what do you think the NFC will be used for in the future?

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Off TV play for Wii Mode is impossible due to the way the Wii Mode works.

The sensor bar is there just in case any game wants to use it. Launch games might not have decided to use it, but you can bet some future games will.

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
black ops 2 does support the gamepad sensor bar.

I doubt it's impossible, if wiiu gets hacked the way wii was I am sure some hombrew developer could develop support for it if Nintendo never does.

megahunter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
if i read it correctly you meant around the camera on gamepad? if there is anything under there i think it would be ir lights just to light up the camera for dark conditions, and the nfc will probaly be used mostly for thigns like in pokemon rumble u where you will be able to use figurines to get characters inside the game, with a bit of luck maybe you'll be able to use nfc credit cards to pay in an even simpler way in the eshop,

blaisedinsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes the gamepad sensor bar is on either side of the camera. It is not a light for a better picture, it is a functioning wii sensor bar.

Black Ops 2 supports it. You can set your gamepad on a stand and play with your wii remote and nunchuck in off TV mode. When you do this it cuts off the regular sensor bar LED's so you can't point at the TV and only the gamepad.

Check out 1minute 40seconds in the video
(I tried to link to the time but the message board automatically embeds the video)

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
black ops 2 does support the gamepad sensor bar.

I doubt it's impossible, if wiiu gets hacked the way wii was I am sure some hombrew developer could develop support for it if Nintendo never does.

I meant impossible officially. Allowing it would make the system easier to hack. Hackers might be able to get it to work, but that'll take them a long time. Nintendo can't do it without breaking their own security, which they aren't going to do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Green name in chat :ninja: