Further Details About The 'AtariBox' Revealed

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Sep 26, 2017.

1. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    We need to know how powerful the GPU is. This doesn't have to be a lost cost. If it's powerful enough to play AAA games in 720p then that's a good thing. Atari can market this similar to the Switch. It can be that low end game system that plays most of the latest games but at a sacrifice. GPU and RAM. That's the focus before this thing comes out. Afterwards we can figure out getting Windows on this thing.

zfreeman and Amaljaa like this.

2. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Provably a proprietary chip made just for them, since they are working close with AMD.

3. Amaljaa

Amaljaa Member

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2017
    Canada
    Johto
    I'm not overly concerned about getting Windows onto it. It's gonna be an x86-64 AMD with an APU which means it should work perfectly fine. They've already discussed being able to use it as a regular (linux) machine so honestly if you're able to run anything as root then you can easily get Windows onto it.

LightyKD likes this.
  4. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    So rather than a chrome-box, it can be a pc-box? I can work with that. Rumour has it at 250 USD, so a bit on the pricier side.

5. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I knew in advance someone would crop up with an article with that sort of reasoning. Alas, I wasn't talking about piracy, but about sales predictions. From a gamer's perspective, we believe these articles. We may have some pirated games, but at the same time we spend well above average on video games than the average customer. But things look pretty different when you have a bunch of programmers to pay, and pretty much have to gamble that this game concept (which exists but on paper) will sell. I'm fairly sure that marketing departments will have blamed piracy for games not meeting their sales figures, and it's likely that there are a bunch of people who got laid off with messages like "if everyone who pirated our game had bought it, we would still be able to keep you on the payroll, but alas...". And likewise, I bet that the guys from denuvo also have speaking figures of sales charts comparing games with and without denuvo, consistently showing the ones with as having higher sales. That doesn't mean that any of these arguments are true, but it is classic human behavior: putting the blame externally. Blaming pirates is easy, as we don't have anyone in these companies denying those claims. End result: I'm still convinced AAA-companies will prefer closed systems over open ones.

6. Amaljaa

Amaljaa Member

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2017
    Canada
    Johto
    tl;dr you're just gonna dismiss a massive study made by the EU with cold hard statistics, information gathered from professionals and a sample size larger than just you, a single person; all because the study doesn't align with your beliefs.

Last edited by Amaljaa, Sep 29, 2017
  7. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    Nah, not interested. I will skip it. I had Atari 2600 a long time ago. Loved it but now nah. :)

8. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    *Sigh*

Would you please read what I'm saying before making the totally wrong assumption? I personally completely agree with you. However, I am, as you say, one single person. I am not a collective hivemind of AAA-developers. They think different than I do, and I can understand why they do so.

9. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

Jun 19, 2016
    France
    Paris
    Atari managed to be stupid enough to delete the only thing "justifying" the buy of a standard MS/Sony console over a PC, i. e. the closed ecosystem, the exclusives and the features.

10. DuoForce

DuoForce GBAtemp Regular

Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    It's funny that I thought this could be a 4th console pillar, this is just a fucking raspberry pi

11. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    Except it's nothing like a Raspberry Pi...

12. DuoForce

DuoForce GBAtemp Regular

Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    What I mean is it's just a linux machine, nothing unique

13. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Raspberry Pis are not the only thing that run Linux

RedBlueGreen likes this.
  14. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    This is like the Pi if it were actually good. Yes, I know the Pi is cheap (even the Pi 3 is only $40~ USD), but when you factor in the accessories like casing, display adapters, wireless adapters, the AC adapter, micro SD for storage it really starts to add up (even the premade kits are around $70 USD) to the point where buying a cheap old PC on eBay, at thrift stores, or local classifieds and upgrading it is probably a much better idea. With an Ataribox, or an upgraded used PC (often office PCs are the cheapest to find on eBay and some people find them for $20> from auctions, and put in low profile GPUs which can be found for $30~ if you want 1GB of DDR5 VRAM) will be able to emulate up to PS2, Wii, and PSP at full speed, and play a lot of games at at least 30 FPS.

I'm speaking strictly from a gaming and emulation standpoint. I know the Pi can be made portable and be used as a handheld, but at that point why not just use your phone and a compact controller?

Last edited by RedBlueGreen, Oct 1, 2017
  15. LeafAce

LeafAce Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2017
    United States
    Atari doesn't have a high chance of taking the lead... But since it is open source...

Last edited by LeafAce, Oct 1, 2017
  16. Orangy57

Orangy57 bruh

Aug 17, 2015
    United States
    tbh it just looks like a low spec device that you can plug into your tv that won't run anything other than some old emulators

17. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Seems like it. Oyua, Steamboxes, and even the Wii U launched on the mentality of "if you build it they will come" and it seams the Ataribox is running on the same flawed mentality

The NES and SNES Classic don't have very many games, but they are cheap (if you can find one) and have a coherent purpose
    The Xbox One and PS4 are expensive, but they have many high quality games and a somewhat coherent purpose
    PC's are very DIY and can be expensive, but they have a LOT of games.

Where is the Ataribox supposed to sit in there? All people wanted was an Atari Flashback that wasn't shit or bloated with stupid filler games at a disposable price, and this is not that. People casually interested in the old games will be turned off by the high price and complexity, and people who want to play all the indie games and such will get the console that indies are actually developing for - most likely the Switch.

Orangy57 likes this.
  18. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    It runs Linux, which can be used to run Steam

19. rileysrjay

rileysrjay GBAtemp's official vinsclone speedster!

Apr 2, 2016
    United States
    Central City
    [​IMG]

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  20. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Maybe? it depends on what packages are installed and it may still not be any guarentee.