Further Details About The 'AtariBox' Revealed

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Sep 26, 2017.

1. revilococo

revilococo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2016
    United States
    "I was really shocked when a 12 year old knew all the Atari Games"
    Pong. Pong II. Pong III. Pong IV......

2. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    So, basically an underpowered Steam machine.

BTW, Atari praising themselves forgot that they have left many software companies out of business for games they never actually paid the royalties for.

3. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    All they needed to do is put an emulation box with most the of 2600, 5200, 7800, Lynx, Jaguar, Jaguar CD catalog. :glare:

4. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Steam Big Picture covered that too, but it didn't make much difference.

Might've sold decently, but probably not anywhere near as well as NES/SNES Classic.

Last edited by Xzi, Sep 28, 2017
  5. SirNapkin1334

SirNapkin1334 Best draws right thar

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Land of Magical Elves (and indie programmers)
    An old, big, videogames company. FUNDED ON INDIEGOGO? Rip Atari.

6. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    You just can't satisfy people... Give people an open platform to develop for, and not much gets created and the platform dies. (Ouya, Steam machines) Give them a closed platform that restricts everything it can to keep outside developers away (3DS) and look at all that homebrew just flourishing.

People are fucking weird.

7. Pluupy

Pluupy Woof!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Naming conventions of particular manufacturers has absolutely nothing to do with my post so i'm not sure what the relevance is. Learning about the industry goes beyond just learning to assemble a simple computer. That's hobbyist territory.

Learning how to drive a car has nothing to do with memorizing all Ford models and previous years.

Last edited by Pluupy, Sep 28, 2017
  8. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I just want to clarify what I meant by them making Stream Machine too confusing. I meant that they had too many models. Didn't help that some of them even cost more than all the consoles, but that is besides the point. If they should have stuck to one or maybe two models they would have had a better chance. I don't think having and advertising it with a console Ui by default then having a message and mention that it has a desktop mode too, would be that confusing.

They may come out with different models, but I doubt they would be so many and different.

They can still do this even with there other plans. I mean, this console can have a Atari VC along with other games.

Last edited by KingVamp, Sep 28, 2017
  9. gothicall

gothicall Blah blah blah!

Apr 29, 2010
    Colombia
    Super-motherfucking-dissapointing... FUCK! I didn't even know who was the mastermind behind that console, but then I saw it and remember this is not his first attempt to do something like that with the Atari brand.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

10. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    No... Your original argument was "this does nothing that a Pi can't do". You only shifted to the argument about"real wood" when challenged on that point because you didn't have any comeback and changing your argument completely is of course much easier than saying "fair point, I was wrong about that"

DeslotlCL likes this.
  11. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    I think we're getting off topic. I - and I'm pretty sure most people - were expecting a $40-60 miniaturized "Atari Classic" that played the original Atari games it was came with, with any extra features (such as additional games) welcome ONLY if they add to that experience. This make the original Atari games an afterthought, something that would NEVER compete with a Raspberry Pi shoved into an old Atari shell.

12. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    :blink: I don't think that *anybody* expected that after the original announcement!

13. Polopop123

Polopop123 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2017
    Ireland
    Not getting if it doesn’t have ET remastered. That’ll be a system seller

14. Catsinabucket

Catsinabucket GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2015
    United Kingdom
    I mean, I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't this

15. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    feels fairly generic. i was wanting some pizzazz.

16. Amaljaa

Amaljaa Member

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2017
    Canada
    Johto
    I don't know why people are bothered by this or say it's "generic". It's a full-fledged operating system with an overlay on top to make it easier to use on the television. What did you expect, a locked-down console where you can only play their games only?

I'm not sure if ya'll noticed but Atari isn't anywhere near big or strong enough to support a monolithic, closed down locked up piece of hardware that only they can develop for. This at least provides more options while coming in a small, good looking case that actually has some usefulness outside of playing some old Atari games.

17. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    mini consoles dont cost 300$ they cost under 100 and they are consoles, what they are selling you is basicaly a linux pc with atari games bundled in lol

18. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Erm...that's because you miss (or ignore) two important points:

1) games sell systems. High quality, preferably exclusive, games. The ouya had nothing in that department. steam machines (or rather: steamOS) have a larger library than xbone or PS4 (2497 if this list is accurate), but has barely any AAA-titles and probably not a single game without a windows counterpart.
    2) a platform must be at least as attractive to developers as to gamers. Ouya required developers to allow everyone to try out their game for 24 hours (or something in that area), and had pretty crappy hardware. Steam machines were a lost cause from the start because (among other factors) there were MANY of them, meaning it was simply impossible for developers to optimize their games toward a given benchmark. For any but perhaps the most clueless of gamers, it was clear that these things were simply overpriced for the hardware you were getting. Couple that to the fact that you could just build your own steam machine with steamos because the OS was, well...open...meant that there was even less reason to even consider one.
    And you can complain all you want about a platform being closed, but that does restrict piracy (at least initially), and that does impact the sales predictions. Meaning: developers will generally prefer a closed system over an open one when it comes to investing lots of money in a pricy game.

19. Amaljaa

Amaljaa Member

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2017
    Canada
    Johto
    The piracy argument is completely moot. https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...acy-doesnt-hurt-game-sales-may-actually-help/

20. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Ouya was a jumbled mess that failed to live up the hype. For a plethora of reasons. Steam machines failed because of pricing. You can't appeal to console gamers while charging the full PC price.. Not to mention the lack of user upgradable parts in the longterm.

The Ataribox is nothing short of a combination of the two. I have very, very little hope for this. There are people (in this thread even) that firmly believe they can only play Atari games.. Because they either don't read or stop after their first assumption.

There's also an appeal to the "forbidden fruit" ideal. Give people a challenge, they're more enticed to participate rather than handing them a trophy just for playing.

Last edited by Memoir, Sep 28, 2017
    Ryccardo likes this.