Tutorial  Updated

Full 3DS (3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS, N3DS) hacking guide - from startup to full CFW

Hello! I recently made a full guide to set up CFW fully on O3DS and N3DS (this includes all models: 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS, N3DS, N3DSXL.) This guide is meant to be a setup leading to setting up a9lh, though it can also be used as standalone to simply get CFW.

Here is the guide: v2.3
N3DS:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dahzh5ypr5i2u7s/N3DS%20CFW%20Guide.txt?dl=0

O3DS: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3omwts6bm4jr0p9/O3DS%20CFW%20Guide.txt?dl=0

To download the files, go to https://www.dropbox.com/s/48arj3xjubgkehn/O3DS CFW Pack.zip?dl=0 for O3DS, and https://www.dropbox.com/s/gyf6545t9lwutvr/N3DS%20CFW%20Pack.zip?dl=0 for N3DS. This includes the full guide. This guide is made as to directly follow into Plailect's guide: https://plailect.github.io/OTP/

Please give feedback in this thread!

Last edited by xy2_,

FellowTemper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
the guide says "15. Once again, create a "dbs" folder" without ever having to do this before. i guess something is missing.

"14. If you remember your identified sysNAND folder, navigate to it again. The right folder should be the one without the "dbs" folder.". both folder dont contain a "dbs" folder

xy2_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the guide says "15. Once again, create a "dbs" folder" without ever having to do this before. i guess something is missing.

"14. If you remember your identified sysNAND folder, navigate to it again. The right folder should be the one without the "dbs" folder.". both folder dont contain a "dbs" folder

Use 2.3; it clarifies this. Redownload the pack.

Guide updated to 2.3, pretty much rewamping section Delta as well as making instructions easier to follow.

xy2_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Guide updated to 2.4, including a much easier way to build your databases and including clarification on a lot of prior instructions. This release should be hopefully stable and considered final.

LuigiXL

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks, I have managed to use the guide for my 2DS (10.3) I shall be using it in the future should I need it again. Appreciate it!

lostreverie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you provide a little more advice on this part?

Code:
    16. Launch "AuReiNand". From here, there are three possibilites:
    . You get a black screen. In this case, check firmware.bin.
    . You boot to CtrBootManager (purple screen.) In this case, check menuhax.
    . You boot to homescreen. In this case..
    17. You now have CFW!

Mine boots back into CtrBootManager, so your guide says "check menuhax." What do you mean by "check menuhax?" I checked the SD card, deleted and reinstalled it... no idea what you're suggesting I do here.

If I set menuhax to not load by default it does go into the home menu. But even in that case, when it loads into system settings, it looks exactly like sysnand. There's not even the slightest indication that I'm in AuReiNand, so I don't think I am. But I honestly don't know, because AuReiNand removes the modified version number from system settings.

Your guide also later goes on to say that bypassing CtrBootManager on boot will put me on sysnand.

Code:
7. If you have menuhax installed, hold your combination of keys to bypass menuhax. For example, if you are on Type-1 with the key "Y", then do not hold "Y". This will ensure you are on sysNAND.

Again, sounds like I am sysnand. And at a loss for what to do. But in the AuReiNand topic, Aurora says:

Code:
Regular mode:
- Normally emuNAND is autobooted.
- If you hold R on boot, sysNAND will be booted with the firmware.bin on the SD card and signature checks patched (like Brickway).
- If your console has 9.0/9.2 on SysNAND, you can boot SysNAND with the 9.0 FIRM and patched signature checks. To do this hold L on boot. On O3DS, the reboot patch won't be applied. If your console (O3DS) is not on 9.x, it will be detected and it will just hang on a black screen.

So actually I have no idea what is going on.

dokgu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
On the guide this statement is confusing to me:
  • 4. If you are on firmware "9.0.0-20X" or higher, press "Downgrade" if on firmware version "9.3.0-21X" or above, or "Upgrade" if on "9.1.0-21X" or below. If it does not work, try again and again and again: it can take a lot of tries.

Elbarto1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, Thank you for this guide, however, I am having problems with steps 14-16 in the "Section γ · Booting CFW for the first time"

1. This is not required but highly recommended: make a backup of your system, or sysNAND.
2. Launch the "Decrypt9WIP" app.
3. Go to "SysNAND Options".
4. Go to "NAND Backup".
5. Create your sysNAND backup. This is the most important file you will ever have: in case you mess up anything related to your system, such as a brick, only this file will allow you to recover. Back it up everywhere you can.
6. Look in the O3DS CFW Pack, then transfer the files inside the "6. Transfer files inside this folder to SD card" folder to your SD card, under "Section γ · Setting up CFW". It will prompt you to overwrite some files: allow that. This will set up CTRBootManager.
7. Look in the "rei" folder inside your SD card. You will need the "firmware.bin" file from here: http://www99.zippyshare.com/v/kEIiQl0x/file.html . Place it in your /rei folder; this is needed for AuReiNand to work properly.
8. From initial boot, from CtrBootManager (the purple screen) go into "GridLauncher", then launch the "EmuNAND9" app.
9. Press the "Select" button on your 3DS or 2DS.
10. Look in the O3DS CFW Pack, then transfer all the files in your SD card to the "10. Backup the contents of your SD card here" folder.
11. Reinsert your SD card inside your 3DS or 2DS.
12. Select "Complete emuNAND setup".
13. Wait.
14. Once done, press the "Select" button on your 3DS or 2DS, take out your SD card and transfer back the files from the "10. Backup the contents of your SD card here" folder into your SD card. Afterwards, you are not required to keep the files anymore on your computer. It will ask you to overwrite some files: let it do so.
15. Reboot your 3DS or 2DS.
16. Launch "AuReiNand". From here, there are three possibilites:
. You get a black screen. In this case, check firmware.bin.
. You boot to CtrBootManager (purple screen.) In this case, check menuhax.
. You boot to homescreen. In this case..
17. You now have CFW!

Specifically when i remove my SD card to copy the contents to PC before formatting - when i initiate the transfer there are a few that will not copy over because their filenames are too long. Then once I replace the SD card into the 3ds and reboot I am no longer able to use menuhacks to enter gridlauncher. I attempt to use cubicninja as a entry point and get a long scrolling line of text on my lower screen for about 2 minutes.
Then if i get back to the gridlauncher "AuReiNand" is not present. Only 2 ReiNand apps are there and neither will boot past the ReiNand anime girl splash.

Please help. Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.