Hacking Friendly warning, new games will update your switch to 2.1.0.

ChaosRipple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My system is still on 2.0 after getting a digital copy of ARMS. No prompt to update and I can play the game just fine. Haven't tried playing online yet though.

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My system is still on 2.0 after getting a digital copy of ARMS. No prompt to update and I can play the game just fine. Haven't tried playing online yet though.

It was my strong belief that the Arms programming team would not have had long time access to 2.1.0 sdk while under development. Nor, would they risk compiling under 2.1.0 sdk so close to release without a lot of testing, first.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the Netherlands, but it won`t really matter since every copy would be the same.
It would be strange if the producers made different versions (except Japanese i guess)

That would be PegaSwitch, it's not for for us `users` though but still important.
you would be surprised about some region specific censorship that happens

Yanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Which version can you play online? This is important and I want to know.
Hack scenes are long term, so it's nice if we do not require the latest version.

adrifcastr

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Agreed. PegaSwitch isn't even actually a "Userland" exploit. It only allows you to toy with memory and execute functions of the WebKit that are cached (from my understanding). This is no reason not to update.
Deaken said everyone who wants a definately way of running homebrew should be between 2 and 2.3 since this nasty bug he found and exploited definately enables userland homebrew

Yami Anubis ZX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It could be that the digital copy of future titles will still be playable on 2.0 but the physical copies will force you to update, the reason could be due to the fact that we all know the trick to getting into Eshop without updating to the latest firmware, that means anyone who buys Splatoon 2 physically will have to update but the people who buy it digitally won't have to, I guess we will see next month.

I forgot to mention that one time when I was trying to get that DNS up and running to block the updates, I went to the Eshop and it gave me a page could not be displayed like I was on my PC and the Internet cut off, now Wii U, when Eshop and 3ds Eshop didn't work, they just told you it didn't work but this went to an Internet Web page telling me it couldn't be displayed, so it could be that Nintendo has no way of actually forcing people to update the system firmware through games you buy digitally because of the fact that it's through an Internet Web page.

Last edited by Yami Anubis ZX,

ChaosRipple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could be that the digital copy of future titles will still be playable on 2.0 but the physical copies will force you to update, the reason could be due to the fact that we all know the trick to getting into Eshop without updating to the latest firmware, that means anyone who buys Splatoon 2 physically will have to update but the people who buy it digitally won't have to, I guess we will see next month.

I forgot to mention that one time when I was trying to get that DNS up and running to block the updates, I went to the Eshop and it gave me a page could not be displayed like I was on my PC and the Internet cut off, now Wii U, when Eshop and 3ds Eshop didn't work, they just told you it didn't work but this went to an Internet Web page telling me it couldn't be displayed, so it could be that Nintendo has no way of actually forcing people to update the system firmware through games you buy digitally because of the fact that it's through an Internet Web page.

Well yea, I thought by mentioning that my version is digital that people would know/guess that the digital version doesn't seem to have the update requirement which contradicts the thread. Also, whether it's through an internet web page or not doesn't affect the ability to include the update patch within the download. This is one of those weird moments you question why Nintendo doesn't do things correctly. Like, if you're going to force people to update by putting the update in the physical carts then do it right and do the same for the digital carts. Lol.

MSco

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is there any chance to play the retail version of ARMs and stay on 2.0?
I would like to buy the retail version next month, I am still on 2.0.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch games aren't locked to any region.
ds wasn't either, yet changes were made for each region by their respective localization teams, that's just how it works, there is the obvious no Japanese on an english copy game cart art but changes from localization such as references to alcohol are removed and then theres the more well known of things considered "to sexual for western audiences" and are covered up by out friendly nintendo us treehouse that knows the press will jump to criticize anything

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is the obvious no Japanese on an english copy game cart
WRONG. I've just been playing BotW, but it certainly does play in Japanese (both in voices AND menus) if you change your Switch settings to Japan. With an American BotW cart. Fact is, there is no such thing with carts on the switch. Perhaps different updates will get pushed to different shops at some point, but you can have multiple accounts with multiple shops. Switch truly is region-free.

EDIT: Third parties may choose to make a game for a specific region (like Japanese only), but that's besides the point. They will still play on any Switch.

Last edited by urherenow,

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WRONG. I've just been playing BotW, but it certainly does play in Japanese (both in voices AND menus) if you change your Switch settings to Japan. With an American BotW cart. Fact is, there is no such thing with carts on the switch. Perhaps different updates will get pushed to different shops at some point, but you can have multiple accounts with multiple shops. Switch truly is region-free.

EDIT: Third parties may choose to make a game for a specific region (like Japanese only), but that's besides the point. They will still play on any Switch.
I didn't say they changed botw...uhh...
and ya, it's safe to assume he just went with his regions available copy of the game rather than import
not sure if you will accept this example but the demo provided for puyo puyo tetris is, albeit only functionally different doing 2 rounds before resting the app in the jp version, being different between the us and jp, I don't have the money to test but I'm sure you can buy a game that's on both sides and have a duplicate in your home menu, different home menu tile art for different regions too

also, there will be carts that have different data available on them, not all regions get a game at the same time sometimes and so an english translation that doesn't exist yet won't be on the jp cart

Last edited by jt_1258,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't say they changed botw...uhh...
and ya, it's safe to assume he just went with his regions available copy of the game rather than import
not sure if you will accept this example but the demo provided for puyo puyo tetris is, albeit only functionally different doing 2 rounds before resting the app in the jp version, being different between the us and jp, I don't have the money to test but I'm sure you can buy a game that's on both sides and have a duplicate in your home menu, different home menu tile art for different regions too

also, there will be carts that have different data available on them, not all regions get a game at the same time sometimes and so an english translation that doesn't exist yet won't be on the jp cart
Just. Stop. The title art switches simply by changing your Switch settings. It's all in the cart. You can't compare Switch with your "knowledge" of how shit worked in the past, and on different consoles/portables, so just. Stop.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just. Stop. The title art switches simply by changing your Switch settings. It's all in the cart. You can't compare Switch with your "knowledge" of how shit worked in the past, and on different consoles/portables, so just. Stop.
why did you focus on the art, there is still the matter I brought up that different copys can in fact have different data which you have sayed is otherwise, until we can see the finer details of the files neither of us can say jack shit if there actually absolutely the same, end of story since this seems like it's causing comotion this discussion, I do seriously hope you had read my full post and not just seen the thing with art and lached onto it to come back with a reply and assumed it was representative of the whole contents of my post

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why did you focus on the art, there is still the matter I brought up that different copys can in fact have different data which you have sayed is otherwise, until we can see the finer details of the files neither of us can say jack shit if there actually absolutely the same, end of story since this seems like it's causing comotion this discussion, I do seriously hope you had read my full post and not just seen the thing with art and lached onto it to come back with a reply and assumed it was representative of the whole contents of my post
I have an American copy. The person sitting next to me has a Japanese copy. They are the same. ENTIRELY. MK8 also.

Last edited by urherenow,

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an American copy. The person sitting next to me has a Japanese copy. They are the same. ENTIRELY. MK8 also.
gameplay wise, like I told you, there could be differences that don't effect gameplay that are deaper then we can see atm, till we can dump games nothing is absolute, neither of us knows everything, and your bringing up games that had a simultaneous worldwide release, also, I'm moving on to a broader point that nintendo is not the only one making games for the switch and they may do things differently then what your seeing, some may be stuck on old ways and only have the american or jp version or simply only the jp or english language on said cart with censorship happening or not, that and things can change midway through game cart productuon and it could be as simple as changing what goes on the cart to include something and without having to halt production, the simple change of what is written to the cart in mass

nintendo is one story in all of this, we can't know what the future will hold for what game production will present next

simple put, for all we know, mario odesey or xenoblade chronicles 2 could force you to update to what could be 5.0 at that point wether you want to or not via digital and physical, nobody knows till that day comes, things are the way they are now but they can and will change

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol