Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeMCBoot FAQ + Install Guide.

FreeMcboot FAQ + Install Guide

Download

FAQ

Q: What is FreeMCBoot?

A: FreeMcBoot is a app launcher that can let you run various homebrew on your PS2. It runs files called .elfs through USB Sticks and such.

Q: Do I need anything special to install it?

A: No, you just need a PS2 Memory Card And USB Stick. Depending on what method you use though, you may need a cheat disc, backup disc or a game.

Q: Does this work on every PS2?

A: For SCPH-9000xx PS2 with a datacode of 8B and earlier will work. Datecode of 8C, the bios must be version 220, not 230. Bios version can be check in uLaunch
ps2datecode8a.jpg

Q: Do fats and slims have different ways of hacking?

A: Yes, if you want to do the game swap trick, than you will have to do some mods to your Fat or Slim.

Q: Can my hacked memory card work on other PS2s?

A: Yes as long as that PS2 was made before mid 2008 and is in the same region as your PS2

Q: Can I Play Backups With FreeMCBoot?

A: Yes you can by either using OpenPS2Loader for USB,HDD and Networking Or ESR for Backup Disc.

Q: Can I use a backup copy of AR Max, Codebreaker, or SwapMagic to install FreeMcBoot?

A: No

Installation Method 1: AR Max EVO

Things Needed:

1: AR Max EVO disc

2: Latest FreeMCBoot. You can find it at the top of the page.

3: USB Flash Drive.

Step 1:Once you've downloaded the file, copy the FREE_MCBOOT.ELF and the INSTALL folder to the USB.

Step 2: Start up your PS2 and put in the USB Stick and AR MAX EVO.

Step 3: Once AR has booted go to the Media Player.

Step 4: Use the "Next Item" Button to go to the FREE_MCBOOT.ELF.

Step 5: Select Play and the the installer will boot.

Installation Method 2: Codebreaker (8.1 or newer)

Things Needed:

1: CodeBreaker 8.1 or newer

2: UlaunchELF in cbs format (Download)

3: Latest FMCB

4. USB Flash Drive.

Step 1: Put the FMCB files and the UlaunchELF in the USB Stick. Don't put the pelican.bin on there yet.

Step 2: Start up your PS2 and put in the USB Stick and CodeBreaker

Step 3: Once booted select "Device Manager" and then go to the USB icon.

Step 4: You should see "UlaunchELF" file. Check the little circle by it and press X to select it. Then press Triangle and select "Copy" and copy it to where you have your PS2 Memory Card inserted.

Step 5: Go back to the main menu and take out your USB Stick and put the "pelican.bin" file I talk about earlier and put it back in the PS2.

Step 6: Restart your PS2 and it should boot up to SMS

Step 7: Press Start to bring up the menu

Step 8: Go to "Browser settings"

Step 9: Go to "Exit to" and keep pressing X till you get "mc0:/BOOT/BOOT.ELF"

Step 10: Press Triangle to bring your self back to the menu and go back to "Exit to", it should launch UlaunchELF

Step 11: ulanuchelf will start up, press O to go into the FileBrowser menu.

Step 12: Select mass, that is your USB.

Step 13: Select FREE_MCBOOT.ELF on the next screen and the installer will start. Install FMCB from there.

Installation Method 3: SwapMagic

Things Needed:

1: USB Flash Drive.

2: Latest FMCB

3: Swapmagic

4: UlaunchELF (Download)

Step 1: Make a folder called "SWAPMAGIC" on the USB Stick. Make sure it's named just like that without the " "

Step 2: Put all of the FMCB files onto the USB Stick

Step 3: Put the BOOT.ELF from the UlaunchELF rar. into the SWAPMAGIC folder and rename it to "SWAPMAGIC.elf."

Step 4: Put the Swapmagic and USB Stick in and boot up. It should show the Swapmagic Screen and then the ulaunchelf screen.

Step 5: ulanuchelf will start up, press O to go into the FileBrowser menu.

Step 6: Select mass, that is your USB.

Step 7: Select FREE_MCBOOT.ELF on the next screen and the installer will start. Install FMCB from there.

Installation Method 4: Game Swap Trick.

Things Needed:

1. Apache v1.1 (Download)

2. IMGBurn (Download)

3. UlaunchElf (Download)

With this one it depends on what game you want to use. I'm gonna use 007 Agent Under Fire, as it seems to give the best results.

For Slims: This video will show you how to block the senors so that you can swap disc.

All Credit for the video goes to gamedexterity.

For Fats: You just need a credit card (or gift card), cut it to make a slide tool, take the faceplate off of the disk drive (it pops on and off), and use the tool to quickly swap the discs.

Swipe-Card.gif

You can also take apart your PS2 Fat. In which you just take out the magnet, take out the disc, put in the backup and replace the magnet.

Step 1: Make an iso out of the game.

Step 2: Rename the BOOT.elf from the ulaunchelf rar and rename it to DRIVING.ELF.

Step 3: Start up Apache and use it to open the iso.

Step 4: Click on other DRIVING.elf in Apache.

Step 5: Go to the top and select the tab "ISO Tools" and then select "Change TOC for Selected File"

Step 6: Change the size "dec" to 915196.

Step 7: Click out of it and go back to "ISO Tools" and then select "Update Selected File"

Step 8: Go to the file you renamed update the original.

Step 9: Burn the modified ISO to a DVD

Step 10: Put in the game and USB Stick with the FMCB files.

Step 11: Play until level two and go back to the main menu.

Step 12: Quickly replace the disc with the backup.

Step 13: Go back to Level 2 and start it. It should start up ulaunchelf.

Step 14: ulanuchelf will start up, press O to go into the FileBrowser menu.

Step 15: Select mass, that is your USB.

Step 16: Select FREE_MCBOOT.ELF on the next screen and the installer will start. Install FMCB from there.

Installation Method 5:HD Loader/HD Advance

Things Needed:

1: PS2 with a HDD connected to the Network Adapter
2: Retail HDL/HDA disc
3: PS2 Memory Card
4: USB device - formatted to FAT32
5: uLaunchELF ISO
6: FMCB
7: Winhiip

Step 1: Extract the ulanuchelf ISO to your desktop or where ever you want to extract it.

Step 2: Connect your HDD and Install the ISO using WinHIIP (If you don't know how, read this guide on how to use WinHIIP.)

Step 3: Download FMCB and install the contents into the root of your USB.

Step 4: Put in your HDD, USB, Memory Card and your copy of HDL or HDA and start up the PS2.

Step 5: Once HDL or HDA has fully loaded up, start ulanuch from the Games list (Note: You may need to switch to Mode 3 if you happen to get a blackscreen.)

Step 6: ulanuchelf will start up, press O to go into the FileBrowser menu.

Step 7: Select mass, that is your USB.

Step 8: Select FREE_MCBOOT.ELF on the next screen and the installer will start. Install FMCB from there.

Installation Method 6: Finding someone (In your region) that has FMCB already

No things needed here, if you happen to find someone that has FMCB, than they can install it for you.

Devin, wolffangalchemist and me can do installs for free. Just pm one of us if you're interested.

I've put a lot of work into this,so I hope you like it.
happy.gif

TY Devin for the revised guide

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
*WARNING, LAGRE-ASS NECROPOSTING, I'M VERY SORRY*

question to those who have used the AR MAX option: Does this work with all versions of AR MAX, or only with the AR MAX EVO edition (with the sticklike thing)? My uncle (neighbour, its awesome) has looooaaads of these AR disks I believe, so if any version works it would be great. Not sure if he has the EVO

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
boktor666 said:
*WARNING, LAGRE-ASS NECROPOSTING, I'M VERY SORRY*

question to those who have used the AR MAX option: Does this work with all versions of AR MAX, or only with the AR MAX EVO edition (with the sticklike thing)? My uncle (neighbour, its awesome) has looooaaads of these AR disks I believe, so if any version works it would be great. Not sure if he has the EVO

http://freemcboot.info/armax2.html

It also works with the EVO version of it, which I did put in the guide.

desceptshon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay; I skimmed through this thread to make sure I wasn't asking something that'd already been answered. i am fairly certain that I already know the answer; but I want to be certain before I ruin my PS2 xD

my ps2's version is NTSC SCPH-75001 [5D]: I recently received my swap magic coder 3.8 disks. Though the person who sent them sent me two dvd versions. I have a sandisk cruzer 4 gig memstick.

Will I be okay to use the swap magic method to do the softmod?

My main concern was my model number; 75001 is obviously lower than 9XXXX. It is the [5D] that concerned me.

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay; I skimmed through this thread to make sure I wasn't asking something that'd already been answered. i am fairly certain that I already know the answer; but I want to be certain before I ruin my PS2 xD

my ps2's version is NTSC SCPH-75001 [5D]: I recently received my swap magic coder 3.8 disks. Though the person who sent them sent me two dvd versions. I have a sandisk cruzer 4 gig memstick.

Will I be okay to use the swap magic method to do the softmod?

My main concern was my model number; 75001 is obviously lower than 9XXXX. It is the [5D] that concerned me.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@[member='desceptshon'] dude you're not out off the woods like we say around here...
you will need a dvd of the correct type if you want to get the softmod, then youll have to realize that modded ps2 is not as easy as modded wii.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no problems with +R, as long as there are booktyped to DVD-ROM. However I cannot recommend using rewritable disc for... anything

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I just installed Free mcboot to my memory card from a memory card that already has it.
When i try to load it on the new one it just hangs on the loading screen.
The other memory card works so it cant be a problem with my ps2.

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no problems with +R, as long as there are booktyped to DVD-ROM. However I cannot recommend using rewritable disc for... anything

Yeah, though I've had some problems with +r, the only time I ever got it working was when I used one for the swap method with Agent Under Fire. Other then that, all other backups have failed for me : X

desceptshon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah; I found out that lesson the hard way; the Dvd+RW's aren't good at all for the backups so I went out and got some DVD-R's.
I just used swap magic coder v8 with a flash drive and uLaunch to install fmcb.

Thank you for the hasty reply; greatly appreciated :)

onedementedsmurf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I''m having myself one hell of a time trying to install this. I just got a retail copy of 007 Agent Under Fire ($1.99 @ GameStop) Black Disc, I have a Slim PS2 (SCPH-70001, Date Code: 5B). I ripped the ISO using the latest ImgBurn, used Apache 1.1 to change the TOC of DRIVING.ELF, replaced the DRIVING.ELF with uLaunch.ELF renamed to DRIVING.ELF, burned the modified ISO with ImgBurn @ 2.4x on Verbatim LightScribe DVD+R with book type set to DVD-ROM (Same discs and method I used with my Wii backups). I then played the retail until level 2 was available and swapped for the backup and it just goes to a black screen... I've tried multiple times to no avail and only have 2-3 more blank discs in case I need them. Any suggestions? Tips? Other advice?

EDIT 1: Also as for the flash drive (SanDisk Cruzer 2GB) it was plugged into the left USB port with all the files for FMCB.

EDIT 2: Just tried another method suggested here (patching modified ISO with Momento)
still to no avail, just a black screen. I do notice a quick flicker on the screen (like when the resolution changes on an HDTV) but nothing more after that.

EDIT 3:Tried one more burn without setting book type to DVD-ROM and still nothing, though I did notice that all 3 if attempted to boot normally the PS2 says the disc can't be read... :\ And to top it off I only have 1 blank left until payday and 3 new coasters

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
though I did notice that all 3 if attempted to boot normally the PS2 says the disc can't be read... :\ And to top it off I only have 1 blank left until payday and 3 new coasters

Booting a burned game without a mod should normally bring up a red screen saying something along the lines of Please insert a PlayStation formatted disc.

If the PS2 says the disc could not be read when booted normally, it may be a laser issue or a disc quality issue. Since the quality of Verbatim is generally high, it sounds like a weak or dirty laser. You can try cleaning the lens with a cotton swab and some alcohol and lightly air duster it. If that fails you could adjust the potentiometer or replace the laser unit.

Other than that, make sure you are swapping the disc (with the two lid sensor switch depressed) and not switching out the disc.

Reactions: 1 person

onedementedsmurf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good god I can't believe it was something as simple as that!!! I didn't think of it since I've only put maybe 300 hours of gameplay on it since I got the system 4-5 years ago lol, If I could give you a kiss dilav I would! *no homo* haha

ah394496

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a fantastic FAQ! Thank you! I think I may need some help, though... I have an Action Replay MAX but it is not the EVO version. It has no media player... argh. Some of the eBay auctions for the discs I would need are a little pricey. Are any board members willing to do an install for me if I send them my card? I would be more than happy to include a self-addressed stamped envelope and a post-it featuring an artists' rendition of me enjoying the app. Please PM me if you're up for helping a stranger. Thanks!

AACThaKid

Dark Wolf is watching
Trophies
Website
soundclick.com
XP
Country
United States
heres where i am at right now:

i got a madcatz brand memory card from my older bro., but i feel it's kinda outta date(he made it back in summer of 2012) and he also did not do a good job of it, he told me he has had some probs with it, but it plays the games mostly fine and for the most part..... yeah it is working, but after doing some looking into everything......... i'm looking to play both PS2 & PS1 games from my USB harddrive, and he is missing some files on the card, he WILL NOT do anything for me for free or at a fair price!(to mess with the card he wants $30)............... so i was wanting to mess with it, and maybe re-do it all myself since i am very low on cash

i do have it set up to play and can play PS2 & PS1 games, but i just feel the files on the card are out-of-date and/or some more files can be added

EDIT: i have added photos of everything

CIMG0061.JPGCIMG0062.JPGCIMG0065.JPGCIMG0067.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1