Hardware Found an old Wii. I want to modchip it. Which kind should I get?

Catch_ME

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello guys. Long time lurker here.

But I came across an older Wii with D2B drive. It is also an older version of the software. I have yet to open it but the system wasn't turned since 2008. Maybe 2009. That being said, doubt it has been updated since it has never been connected to the internet.

My question is, what kind of mod chip should I get that could also play gamecube games?

I prefer solderless chips for their ease but may consider soldering if it could be worth it.

My goal is to play Wii originals and backups at full speed, 6x. And play gamecube games original and backups without the audio problem everyone is talking about.

Wode is too expensive for me.
DriveKey might be my best bet for Wii backups and originals But lacks gamecube audio fixes. So I read.
WiiKey Fusion is all but impossible to order in the US. Otherwise, might be preferred modchip.
WiiKey2. I'm a bit mixed about this one. I have found clones of WiiKey2 and even a WiiKey Fusion clone that are claimed to run just as good as the original and can even use the same firmwares. The online stores that sell the WiiKey Fusion claim the clones are just as good as the original.

So any advice.

Thanks

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi there,

Short answer: there isn't one.

The wode has the same streaming audio bug that's been going around (though seriously: it's only apparent in a handful of games). And I'm not sure on the drive speed as well. Still, it is the only hardmod solution that lets you play gamecube games.

Your best bet is to go with a softmod solution. You only need a hard drive and some tutorials (check modmii in the hacking section). And if you have your original gamecube games still there: get devolution. That'll let you play gamecube games from USB drive with all the audio intact.

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're really wanting to get a modchip then look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_drivechips.

Softmods have mostly replaced modchips now though. DIOS MIOS can play almost every gamecube game and Devolution will play every other Gamecube game as long as you have the original disc to verify you own it. I'm not kidding you that's actually required.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Softmods are the way to go on the Wii, really. There aren't any benefits of using a modchip on the system unless it's a WODE, and that's for Gamecube support only, but that said, DIOS MIOS as well as Devolution are being actively developed anyways, so there's not much point. Save the money you'd spend on the modchip and go for a higher HDD capacity instead - you won't regret it in the long run.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"