Hacking Format Only One Partition HDD for Wii U ?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ok, I'm sending you the link by PM (I don't want other users to use random build).
It's checking both 55AA and 55AB like asked.

If using 0x55AB doesn't corrupt it for computer use, that could be an alternative to the WiiU format message.

DeadMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Thank's in first i want to test it's work or not, in second test compatible with PC. with my Flash drive and USB HDD
P.S. also i check disk formated by WiiU, it's use nonstandart signature

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, I'm sending you the link by PM (I don't want other users to use random build).
It's checking both 55AA and 55AB like asked.

If using 0x55AB doesn't corrupt it for computer use, that could be an alternative to the WiiU format message.

Oh, a potential solution huh? I'll keep my eyes on this tidbit.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It didn't work.
He even added the new code to d2x but didn't help. There's maybe something else to change.
But the important thing is that all other homebrew and the computer are working with it. If it's only in GX it's not a good enough idea. it should still be usable with all homebrew (mediaplayer, etc.)

DeadMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Homebrew application also can't see drive if it's signature not 55AA. But if drive used only for load wii game ISO why not ? my dougter 5 years old, she can start wii mode from wiiu, start homebrew and start USB loader GX, but don't know anything about format drive, and simple can click ok when WiiU ask about this :)

davebaol

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
d2x looks at partition table only in 2 cases:
1. wbfs partition when the loader tells d2x to do it
2. fat partition when the loader enables nand emu
For disc based games on a non-wbfs partition, i.e. typically FAT/NTFS/EXT, d2x doesn't expect any file system but just a frag list from the loader.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep seeing people testing FAT32. Yet again I ask, what about if it is formatted to NTFS or a Linux filesystem like ext2 or XFS? My idea is that if the Wii U does NOT ask to format these filesystems, then support for them could easily be added to USB loaders due to their open source nature.

DeadMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
0x55AA is a standart signature in end of the boot sector, or all primary or extended partitition, i try to fill with 00 all first sectror, except last 2 bytes, and wiiu ask about to format, when we change only this signature, wiiu don't ask

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@Nintendo Maniac:
Why don't you test Linux partition then?
I don't have linux, or other OS to test. But I guess it only matter what the partition type ID is (testing all ID one by one).

USBLoader's open source nature : ok, it's possible to add it, if the partition format is open source too. USBloader is not the only one needed to be opensource.
Computer: how do you think you will make windows read unknown, not opensource, partition format, to add files to it? you need a manager, much like WiiBackupManager? drivers? For example, Windows XP doesn't work with GPT HDD at all.

I'm 90% sure that the WiiU don't care what the partition type you are using are.
it only check for the presence or a partition table.

If it finds a table it asks to format the drive in WiiU format without a table. (table can be at the start or the end of the HDD)
If it doesn't find a table, it assume it's already in WiiU format and doesn't ask to format. (like he tested above, having FAT32 partition without a table, WiiU didn't ask)

You can create a partition (FAT32/NTFS/WhateverLinux/OSX/any other hundred of types) without a table partition. This could work, I think nobody tested that.
Some USBloader have difficulty to mount these HDD without a table, but some USBflashstick are working like that. One big partition without a table (they usually don't need to be partitioned).

If you want a tool for computer to see a partitioned WiiU drive, it's possible and explained in the link I gave above, by faking the HDD size for WiiU and temporarily un-faking it on computer.

mossywell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I read this thread and the one linked to at the start of the thread. Presumably, a RAW ext3 or ext4 partition (i.e. no partition table) would not prompt the WiiU to format it? The USB loaders of course wouldn't work, but adding an ext3/4 file system driver should work? Just a thought (I'm just doing a bit of idle theorising!)

steven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anybody else using a 3tb hard drive for vwii? This sounds like a good solution for me until we can backup wii u games. Also, is there any type of remote controlled hub or something? that way you can have 2 drives plugged into the hub and have the ability to switch hard drives with the push of a button instead of having to unplug one and plug in the other.

DeadMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
anybody else using a 3tb hard drive for vwii? This sounds like a good solution for me until we can backup wii u games. Also, is there any type of remote controlled hub or something? that way you can have 2 drives plugged into the hub and have the ability to switch hard drives with the push of a button instead of having to unplug one and plug in the other.
i made some test, and now i have two drive connected to WiiU, 1 to the back port for vWii, 2 to the front port to WiiU. but my USB HDD for vWii have a changed MBR signature to hide it from WiiU
it's work in some time, vWii don't see the WiiU drive, and vWii don't see the vWii drive :)

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone tried creating a small partition while leaving the rest as unallocated space, formatting that and then creating a second?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: