Gaming Forced to buy a PS3, Super Slim worth it?

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
So since Namco released Tales of Xillia I am forced to buy a PS3 but I can't decide which one. Slims aren't produced anymore and the Super Slim seems to have quality issues (cheap plastic, noisy BD drive etc.) How noisy is the BD drive exactly compared to a Wii (as I have only a Wii to compare)? And is a Super Slim owner here that is actually happy with it?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I bought a Super Slim around 2012 Black Friday, then swapped it to Slim for CFW.

Plastic material on Super Slim is not that bad, but the glossy material around the edge of Super Slim is fingerprint magnet. Slim has slightly quieter drive than Super Slim. When listened at close distance, both are a bit louder than Wii. Any noise will be drown by gaming sound.

Reactions: WiiUBricker

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
truth be told i think you are better off buying a used one in gamestop or on ebay. i did that years ago and it works still like a charm. the ps3 is a cool system with a bunch of great games and will probably be supported for the next few years despite the ps4 so i say go for it. as for the super slim, as said try to get another one.

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would wait for the super slim (CECH-420x?) that EzekielRage mentioned. When I got my super slim (CECH-4001), I assumed it was of lower nm than the slim i previously had. i was wrong, but at least I got mine on sale (uncharted 3 bundled w/ 1 Year PS Plus for 219.99 :D)

the upside to the super slim is its super easy ps1 backup swap method (w/o opening up the console), both hotswap and idle (disk spun down) swap even.

downsides: really cheap dualshock rev.B: cheap(er) plastic, L1 and L2 stick (fixed it via an XActo Knife) from poor molding process.thumbsticks felt cheap(er) also. NO CFW
upside: PS1 backup swapping, no optical loader to malfunction and mess up a disk/ never spit it out. | CECH-420x: die shrink/lower nm.

[lol]

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I would wait for the super slim (CECH-420x?) that EzekielRage mentioned. When I got my super slim (CECH-4001), I assumed it was of lower nm than the slim i previously had. i was wrong, but at least I got mine on sale (uncharted 3 bundled w/ 1 Year PS Plus for 219.99 :D)

the upside to the super slim is its super easy ps1 backup swap method (w/o opening up the console), both hotswap and idle (disk spun down) swap even.

downsides: really cheap dualshock rev.B: cheap(er) plastic, L1 and L2 stick (fixed it via an XActo Knife) from poor molding process.thumbsticks felt cheap(er) also. NO CFW
upside: PS1 backup swapping, no optical loader to malfunction and mess up a disk/ never spit it out. | CECH-420x: die shrink/lower nm.

so the cheaper plastic is happening again to ps3, yes I feel the difference when I buy ps2 slim about six month ago, the dualshock from the package feels flimsy unlike the dualshock i found on ps2 scph-5000 package which is very sturdy

guess the usage of lower quality material happening again in this ps3 super slim

after all about the smaller die shrink or less power consumption, it's certainly based on the rumor for just now, we don't know about the final specs of this CECH-420X, but it surely bring some improvements because they always bring it in their hardware series revision

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
What? What do you mean by PS1 backup swap method?

downsides: really cheap dualshock rev.B: cheap(er) plastic, L1 and L2 stick (fixed it via an XActo Knife) from poor molding process.thumbsticks felt cheap(er) also.
This is the first time I read that the Dualshock bundled with the Super Slim is cheap.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Newer DS3 controller uses 5 V battery instead of 3.7 V, and has longer battery life than previous model. As far as material goes, there is no difference. I don't know why driverdis felt that it was cheap.

Also people, don't get too caught up with lower nm. Lower nm does mean less heat produce, but it also means manufacturers can now use cheaper thermal solutions. Hence lower nm does not mean lower temperature.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I decided upon a Super Slim about a week ago and I find that while its build quality is a little cheap and isn't as good as a Slim model, I'm fairly happy with it. It runs at a fairly low temperature, I've been using it nonstop to play games/watch various media for 7+ hours at a time and it doesn't get all that hot to the touch.

Referring to the PS1 swap trick, it's an old method to play burned PS1 games. Look around the older console section for the PS1 swap trick, it's pretty simple.

I have no idea what driverdis is talking about with the controller quality, to me it looks/feels exactly the same as an older PS3 controller I had sitting around. Battery life is better as well, as mentioned by trumpet, as I've only had to charge it once since I got it about a week ago.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I decided upon a Super Slim about a week ago and I find that while its build quality is a little cheap and isn't as good as a Slim model, I'm fairly happy with it. It runs at a fairly low temperature, I've been using it nonstop to play games/watch various media for 7+ hours at a time and it doesn't get all that hot to the touch.

Referring to the PS1 swap trick, it's an old method to play burned PS1 games. Look around the older console section for the PS1 swap trick, it's pretty simple.

I have no idea what driverdis is talking about with the controller quality, to me it looks/feels exactly the same as an older PS3 controller I had sitting around. Battery life is better as well, as mentioned by trumpet, as I've only had to charge it once since I got it about a week ago.
Is it noisy?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Is it noisy?

Actually, I haven't used the BD Drive yet. Every game I've played have been digital downloads, and honestly I don't think that will change all too much. If you have the internet speeds for it, I strongly recommend sticking with digital downloads. I can dig out a couple old PS3 games I have to try it out for you, though.

Also, a little off topic, but I also recommend grabbing PS+ as well. Usually the free games are pretty great titles, so it's worth the price.

Reactions: WiiUBricker

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just to note something not really mentioned here about the Slim: if it does heat up and you happen to have a BD in it, it has a noticeably higher level of noise coming out of it. This has happened only a few times, once while playing Crysis and forgetting to open my TV stand door and a second time with a BD movie in a same kind of event (both were due to bad ventilation, easily avoidable).

As for the SuperSlim, I'd go for it if you don't mind the top loading. That's the only real issue someone may have if the outer shell is taken out of the equation. In my case the console is hidden unless it's being used and even then I can only see the front of it.

ps. Tales of Graces f is also an interesting Tales game besides the now released Tales of Xillia if you're interested :P

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
One thing about Super Slim I forget to mentioned, due to "grooving" on the top surface and slotted cover for the drive, it is very easy to trap dust and very hard to clean it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"