Hardware For those that own it, what do you think of the new Smash Bros gamecube controller?

Petegamer331

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am thinking of buying the smash bros gamecube controller but wanted to hear what people who own the controller had to say about it. Is it really just like the original gamecube controller? I have heard that the shoulder buttons are a little hard to push all the way down compared to the original controller. Is this true? I plan on playing Metroid Prime with the controller but don't want to purchase it if the should buttons are weird because using the shoulder buttons is a huge part of Metroid Prime.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
It's exactly identical with the exception of a longer cord. Comparing my Smash Bros. themed GameCube controller with the Emerald Blue version that I've had since the Japanese launch of the GameCube, I can confidently say the shoulder buttons, the Z button, everything feels exactly the same. Even the D-pad feels just as flimsy. I must hand it to Nintendo, as they're probably the only company out there to reproduce a product with the exact same quality and flaws as the original... Hahahaha

Landbasered

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
could I take the shell off an old gamecube controller and put it on the new one?
I prefer the purple and orange controllers, but the extra length would be cool. Plus one of the triggers is cracked on one of them.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
The controller's logo feels so much alike the original because it's an exact replica for the exception of the GameCube logo and that the cable is longer. Perfect!

P.S.: The Smash logo sorta shines so that's really cool too.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
could I take the shell off an old gamecube controller and put it on the new one?
I prefer the purple and orange controllers, but the extra length would be cool. Plus one of the triggers is cracked on one of them.

You actually can! I tried that after replacing the worn out C-stick on my Emerald Blue controller with that of the black Smash Bros. themed controller. It's 100% the same inside out, with the only exception being the front logo vs. the "NINTENDO GAMECUBE" text.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
You actually can! I tried that after replacing the worn out C-stick on my Emerald Blue controller with that of the black Smash Bros. themed controller. It's 100% the same inside out, with the only exception being the front logo vs. the "NINTENDO GAMECUBE" text.

B-but you'd be losing that awesome shiny Smash logo.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Frankly I'm not that attached to it. Which one do you like better? I'm leaning to the one on the right...

ATeKvdR.png

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
They both look really nice but considering this is a Special Edition and only compatible with Smash Wii U I prefer the Smash logo edition. Nintendo kept making stock for new white NGC controllers but black ones are only with the Smash logo, not that I'm complaining but they could've made with the original logo too.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Been thinking about getting the Wii U Pro Controller but I'll only do so when there's a good deal for it not gonna spend too much on it.

You mean the one on the right.. right?

I wonder why a white Smash GameCube controller exists if there isn't a white GameCube adapter. :wacko: I know it can be used on GameCube and Wii too but the primary use is on Wii U's GameCube adapter of all things.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I wonder why a white Smash GameCube controller exists if there isn't a white GameCube adapter. :wacko:
It's for Japan at the moment and it's available for the same reason why only Japan has a white premium Wii U. Which is to say, I don't know the reason, but white is a cool color in Japan that sells. Maybe they'll get the adapter in white, too! :)

Whatever the case may be, this is of course great news for any hardcore GameCube owners/hobbyists/collectors, since the Smash Bros. controllers are 100% true to life GameCube controllers. They'll work fine with GameCubes, original Wiis, along with Smash Bros. on Wii U. Having the Smash Bros. logo on them is cool fan service, but personally I'm more attached to the nostalgia of the NINTENDO GAMECUBE logo. It made a great impression on me as a kid, so buying the rarer variants of the original GameCube controllers (e.g. Emerald Blue, Gundam Char, Star Gold) is a cool opportunity for me now as I can use them with the Wii U.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
It's for Japan at the moment and it's available for the same reason why only Japan has a white premium Wii U. Which is to say, I don't know the reason, but white is a cool color in Japan that sells. Maybe they'll get the adapter in white, too! :)

Whatever the case may be, this is of course great news for any hardcore GameCube owners/hobbyists/collectors, since the Smash Bros. controllers are 100% true to life GameCube controllers. They'll work fine with GameCubes, original Wiis, along with Smash Bros. on Wii U. Having the Smash Bros. logo on them is cool fan service, but personally I'm more attached to the nostalgia of the NINTENDO GAMECUBE logo. It made a great impression on me as a kid, so buying the rarer variants of the original GameCube controllers (e.g. Emerald Blue, Gundam Char, Star Gold) is a cool opportunity for me now as I can use them with the Wii U.

The white Wii and Wii U never looked very pleasing to the eye they were rather cheap and tacky looking while PS4/XO managed to make their consoles look gorgeous with that white colour.

gypsynimrod

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Been thinking about getting the Wii U Pro Controller but I'll only do so when there's a good deal for it not gonna spend too much on it.

You mean the one on the right.. right?

I wonder why a white Smash GameCube controller exists if there isn't a white GameCube adapter. :wacko: I know it can be used on GameCube and Wii too but the primary use is on Wii U's GameCube adapter of all things.

No, the signage of the Gamecube looks clunky in comparison to a white overlaid logo, in my opinion.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I'm thinking of buying a Smash gc Controller but I still play my old GC does this controller work on that console as well?

Yes! Smash Bros. GameCube controller = original GameCube controller with Smash Bros. logo

Exactly identical inside and outside.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
never looked very pleasing to the eye they were rather cheap and tacky looking
My thoughts on Anime

I want a few Pro Controllers as well. $50 or even $45 is tough to swallow however.

EDIT: I just swelled the pill and ordered 3 jap Pro Controllers from Amazon for $46 each. ouch. My boys have never seen a GC and used the wiimote for brawl so they will adapt. I want to learn as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol