Not open for further replies.

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sorry for getting a wee bit real and off topic:

Does anyone of you know a real existing society/country on this planet where there are not more derogatory female based insults ("You ... like a girl!" "Pussy!" "Cunt!"...) than derogatory male based ones? (Not ones like "Man up and grow a pair!", as those show male properties as positive (which they are just as much as female properties)).

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Does anyone of you know a real existing society/country on this planet where there are not more derogatory female based insults ("You ... like a girl!" "Pussy!" "Cunt!"...) than derogatory male based ones? (Not ones like "Man up and grow a pair!", as those show male properties as positive (which they are just as much as female properties)).

The derivation of swear words in various languages is something that intrigues me, though I am not sure "more" is all that useful a starting point for a thought exercise. I can not say I know of something for your example but I would probably look at either places without gender in their language (quite a few of them exist) or possibly those places with matrilineal family structures or matriarchal family structures (various aboriginal groups do well for that one, there are also some things with some religions).

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The derivation of swear words in various languages is something that intrigues me, though I am not sure "more" is all that useful a starting point for a thought exercise. I can not say I know of something for your example but I would probably look at either places without gender in their language (quite a few of them exist) or possibly those places with matrilineal family structures or matriarchal family structures (various aboriginal groups do well for that one, there are also some things with some religions).

Thanks for the tip in regards to gender neutral languages, I'll try to follow up on it.

Remember boys, being nice to someone of the opposite sex now means that you're a sexist d*ck.

http://www.cringechannel.com/2015/03/16/video-chivalry-is-potentially-sexism/

All my wats.

This concept (chivalry is positive/well intentioned sexism) isn't that new.

Do you know the (most likely) urban legend about the female hippie feminist who attacked a male stranger verbally after he had the audacity to hold the door open for her, as she would be quite able to open the door herself?

The first time I heard that one was back in the 90s.

And TBH: in my opinion this preferential treatment based on gender is sexism and thus wrong, too. (Just like gender based staffing quotas, or white knighting damsels.)

The only time when it's right from my point of view to treat someone differently based on their gender is when the gender is a central point of the action. (E.g sexual relations)

Personally I can't remember ever holding open a door for a woman because she was a woman, just always for fellow human beings. (Though I have to admit that I quite often pick up the tab on a date, see the "sexual relations" exception.)

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
This is the Batman cover that got pulled and changed due to SJW complaints, because violence towards women is bad, while violence towards men is entertainment.

lk0FJ0c.jpg

Spread it around.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't know, can we really say there are more of those at all in English? It's a hard thing to qualify, and we'd probably want more than just the anecdotal examples we can pull out from our head. It's also going to be tough because every language handles gender differently; English is pretty gender neutral for the most part, but languages like Spanish and French gender objects, so who knows what sort of influence that could have.

Remember boys, being nice to someone of the opposite sex now means that you're a sexist d*ck.

http://www.cringechannel.com/2015/03/16/video-chivalry-is-potentially-sexism/

All my wats.

Slightly off topic, but...

The study was biased bunk (sexism was defined as antipathy towards women only, for example), but its results were enlightening, just not in the way the authors intended. It found a link between "sexist" video games and benevolent sexism. However, how did they know that the particular video games were sexist? Why, they had the respondents themselves rate how sexist the video games were... which means that those who believed the video games to be sexist were the most likely to be sexist themselves (albeit benevolent). Of course, that's one way to read it (and this poster here had a pretty good breakdown of everything wrong with it).

Bonus points for the reference to Columbine, because, you know, it's still 1999.

This is the Batman cover that got pulled and changed due to SJW complaints, because violence towards women is bad, while violence towards men is entertainment.

Let me expand on this. First of all, this cover is in reference to The Killing Joke, written by Alan Moore, one of the most important and influential comics of its time. It basically defined the relationship between Batman and The Joker that's become popular since, and everyone is still copying it, from the animated series to The Dark Knight. Beyond that, it stands as an amazingly well-told story on its own.

The artist did a great job with this piece, but I guess DC referencing its own history is taboo now. Of course, covers with Batman, Robin, etc. in peril (including depictions of Jason Todd being beaten to death with a crowbar) have been fair game and received no backlash whatsoever. What, is Batgirl too fragile?

Furthermore... this isn't even the official cover for the comic. This was a variant cover. In comics, publishers might print several "variant" covers for an issue; they're the same comic with just a different cover. It's mostly for collectors, and variants never really need to have much to do with the actual content of the comic itself. For instance, an issue following the death of Wolverine, which went for a fairly somber tone, also got this cute little variant because hey, why not.

For all the people complaining about this cover scaring away customers... even if that was valid, you didn't have to buy it. You'd have to go out of your way to buy it.

Fuck I'm mad. Let me tell you, comics are a dying medium, and these efforts to appeal to those shrill complainers who, in all honesty, don't even like them anyway is only hastening that death. Fuck, Marvel's so much worse in this regard, but at least they printed the Spider-Woman cover.

/rant

Lemmy Koopa

M3 Perfect fanboy
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm aware. The "c***" part is offensive on a whole 'nother level, though. It's like calling a black person a n*****, but with women

No it really isn't. It's something I use to refer to people and I use it against people regardless if they're a woman or man, because of the strength behind the word.

It's like saying dick is offensive to men. It's only offensive to women because it talks about a part of their body in a harsh way, but again, so is the word dick.

The intention is the weight of the word, not the fact that it's related to women, and it's why I censored it in the first place so I wouldn't flat out overdo it with people like you, but still get my point across that she is in fact what I stated.

war2thegrave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Pussy doesn't mean what you think it means.
It's a reference to cats, or "Pussy" cat, which are easily frightened and are prone to running away.

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Pussy doesn't mean what you think it means.
It's a reference to cats, or "Pussy" cat, which are easily frightened and are prone to running away.

I'm aware of that. :)

But when you hear pussy as in scaredy cat: Do you think female weak scaredy cat or agressive proud tomcat?

That is highly troubling to me. Unwanted loving is what many of the subjects of this thread fear.

I knew it! "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." is biblecode for "rape everything"! Brb, need to create the "Jesus Christ the privileged rapist" tumblr. First post will be the essay: "Rupture? More like Rape tour!"

war2thegrave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm aware of that. :)

But when you hear pussy as in scaredy cat: Do you think female weak scaredy cat or agressive proud tomcat?

It doesn't matter what gender a cat is, if it sees a dog running toward it, it's probably going to run away.

Are you sure? I've heard that it is a shortening of pusillanimous.
Either / or. It's likely just a slang spelling meaning the same thing.

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
[snip, picture Aposematism

I'll rise the question if it's not aposematism (funny fact: my auto correct wanted to change that to antisemitism -.-) but mimicry (in layman's terms: not alerting others of ones dangerous qualities but only pretending to have them in order to be left alone).

In other news: Milo posted a video response to the "clapping might trigger, please use jazz hands". You know the drill, might hurt your feelings:

I'm just somewhat baffled he left out the obvious jizz hands...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'll rise the question if it's not aposematism (funny fact: my auto correct wanted to change that to antisemitism -.-) but mimicry (in layman's terms: not alerting others of ones dangerous qualities but only pretending to have them in order to be left alone).

In other news: Milo posted a video response to the "clapping might trigger, please use jazz hands". You know the drill, might hurt your feelings:

I'm just somewhat baffled he left out the obvious jizz hands...
Stop saying "j*zz hands", you filthy manimal. You just can't stop talking about your nether expulsions, can you? Disgusting. TRIGGERED! :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.