Lemmy Koopa

M3 Perfect fanboy
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I apologize. I apologize for people being so dumb that you want to rip your brain out and throw it against a wall because you can't comprehend how stupid people could be.
I apologize.

D

Deleted-236924

tumblr users will never be able to enjoy Magic: The Gathering because of all the triggers

Reactions: 7iven8Nine

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Borderlands: The Pre-sequel is gonna be full of gender-fluid and plant-kin characters, isn't it...

Anyway, while I agree that that guy is a douche, how can others say "it's forced" into the game? Some characters just casually say something about their girlfriend/boyfriend or whatever. Like some dude was captured in BL2 and had experiments performed on him, and they were holding his husband hostage or something (I can't care to remember) and that's all they say. It isn't shoved down our throats, out of place, or even said in a humorous or mocking way. They use it as leverage against him, just as they would if he had a wife. People just scream "HE'S GAY? WHY IS HE GAY? WHAT REASON DOES HE HAVE TO BE GAY? SO FORCED 2DIVERSE4ME"

When people complain about having no gay characters in a game, or minorities in a game, and then the devs add them to the game due to feedback, isn't that forced? "This character is only a gay, dark-skinned male because you guys wouldn't stop complaining."

I HATE gender issues in videogames. Not every game needs to have every type of person in the world in it. Either way, stupid people are going to complain that it's too much or not enough diversity. Like, just don't worry about the characters' sexuality and play the damn thing.

Though not borderlands 2, because, well, reddit memes.

edit: I know the writer himself says it's forced into the game, but... he lives to troll twitter.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's only ever forced when the sole defining characteristic of a given character is its gender or sexuality. If there's one thing that makes me shudder, it's characters that you only ever remember as "it was the gay guy" - completely one-dimensional and flat. I honestly don't give a rat's ass if this imaginary person sleeps with a dude, a lass or a hamster - unless it's intrinsic to the story, I don't care. How often do you meet people who introduce themselves along the lines of "Hi, I'm Bill, I'm gay and I like being the bottom bitch - pleased to meet you!" in real life? I'm going to assume that this never happened to you, and if it did, then Bill has a terrible sense of humour and tact. If we're going to define an NPC solely around "the inserter versus the insertee" characteristic then we might as well not define it at all. ;)

Reactions: Gahars

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Once more youtube provides us some gold.

Switzerland's Healthcare Explained! (the series is one that covers various healthcare concepts, myths and is also doing a fair line in covering the healthcare systems of the world).

The top comments
strong_original_research_2014_08_17.jpg

I know I said I would disable comments after the last time I caught a glance of them and I did, however this was on another laptop.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I like how "body size and weight is a function of many factors (...) none of which are under personal control", I guess people don't really lose weight when on a diet and they don't really build up muscle when they exercise. Remember kids - all athletes were just born athletes. Their success in never a result of years of extensive training, they just have priviledged genes! :)

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well, there's his sense of smug self-satisfaction, patting himself on the back as if simply making characters gay is in any way significant or praiseworthy. It's writer's slacktivism, an exercise in self-righteous ego stroking. (See: Modern Bioware)

Plus, it's just general bad writing. There's no depth. It's shallow to slap "A GAY" on a character as if gives them any meaning or depth. Not only that, you're just defining the character by their sexuality, as if that's all that there is to them. People are more complex than that. Good gay characters aren't good because they're gay, they're good because they're good characters.

I'm all for gay (or any type, really) characters, but you should make a character first and foremost, not a "progressive" cardboard cutout. There's really no excuse for doing otherwise; if you do a good job, people will accept it. After all, Marvel could make people believe in and celebrate a talking cyborg-raccoon and a walking tree; the sexuality/race/gender hurdle is modest by comparison.

I am a fat person and have the decency to admit it's my own damn fault

I know what you mean. I wouldn't call myself fat, but I'm definitely out of shape, hence my decision to start working out again.

Anyone can make it. Anyone.

Reactions: TyBlood13 and Foxi4

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, there's his sense of smug self-satisfaction, patting himself on the back as if simply making characters gay is in any way significant or praiseworthy. It's writer's slacktivism, an exercise in self-righteous ego stroking. (See: Modern Bioware)

Plus, it's just general bad writing. There's no depth. It's shallow to slap "A GAY" on a character as if gives them any meaning or depth. Not only that, you're just defining the character by their sexuality, as if that's all that there is to them. People are more complex than that. Good gay characters aren't good because they're gay, they're good because they're good characters.

I'm all for gay (or any type, really) characters, but you should make a character first and foremost, not a "progressive" cardboard cutout. There's really no excuse for doing otherwise; if you do a good job, people will accept it. After all, Marvel could make people believe in and celebrate a talking cyborg-raccoon and a walking tree; the sexuality/race/gender hurdle is modest by comparison.

Oh, I agree with you 100%, I wasn't trying to say borderlands writing is anything to be praised. It's just that if he never admitted to just tacking it onto characters "just because", the game itself doesn't seem to just throw it at you or make you think of a character as "the gay one".

Reactions: TyBlood13

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am a fat person and have the decency to admit it's my own damn fault

Shhhh. It's okay. Shhhh. It's not your fault.

In all seriousness. A lot of people are predisposed to be fat so it's not always completely your fault. Dieting doesn't always work and it's better to eat more conservatively than try a fad diet. At the end of the day, obesity is a lot like smoking. You need a lot of commitment to quit both. Sometimes it's so much easier to live with your weight than it is to lose it.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-...riticism-over-the-use-of-trap-in-akibas-trip/

I knew it. I was playing this game all day and I fucking knew it would come to this, hahah.
I mean, I see how it could be offensive, but it's a parody of 2ch. C'mon. This is the same as seeing an evil character in any media, the creators don't necessarily think the same as the characters they create.

I don't think it's hit tumblr yet, may be some eof gold or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah I can still go for totinos