Homebrew For everybody wondering whether or not it is safe to downgrade - Here is a statement from TuxSH

Lunatics

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They do with the latest sysUpdater
Can anyone confirm this? My friend just got a N3dsxl and is on 10.3. I would like to try and help him downgrade but want to confirm that CFWs or Gateway will work for him once getting to 9.2. Also how exactly does the emunand work on n3ds if 9.5 is the highest? If you try to update while in emunand will it update to 9.5 and stop or will it try to go to the most recent FW and cause a problem? If you leave it at 9.2 or whatever the default is for emunand can you play any games online or will you not be able to on a n3ds using GW?

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone confirm this?
cfw works on a downgraded 3ds
Also how exactly does the emunand work on n3ds if 9.5
. . .? . . . like . . . emunand?
If you try to update while in emunand will it update to 9.5 and stop or will it try to go to the most recent FW and cause a problem?
the second one you must use another version of sysupdater to update emunand to 9.5
If you leave it at 9.2 or whatever the default is for emunand can you play any games online or will you not be able to on a n3ds using GW?
you will be able to play online so long as the game in question requires 9.2 or less fw or does not use your nnid for online

Cloud9Skywalker

Pokémon Researcher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fixed it

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

either with a hard mod (any fw) or with gateway launcher (9.2 or lower only)

Thank-you for that clarification @wormdood!

I do indeed have a n3ds (check out my signature for my setup).
So the highest firmware I would be able to reach is 9.5 on my Emunand..
Will that be a problem at all when I try to access anything Internet based?
(Online Multiplayer, eShop, Sysnand Apps ect.)
Or better question, will I have any restrictions on 9.5 through that CFW or does it not even matter?

Someone recommended to me that I check out and install Cakes CFW instead.
I haven't really looked into RxTools.. I read that it is a pain to get it set-up, does it matter which CFW I decide to go with at the end? Which is the best ultimately?

edit:
Can anyone confirm this? My friend just got a N3dsxl and is on 10.3. I would like to try and help him downgrade but want to confirm that CFWs or Gateway will work for him once getting to 9.2. Also how exactly does the emunand work on n3ds if 9.5 is the highest? If you try to update while in emunand will it update to 9.5 and stop or will it try to go to the most recent FW and cause a problem? If you leave it at 9.2 or whatever the default is for emunand can you play any games online or will you not be able to on a n3ds using GW?

I just noticed this post, similar questions. Thanks

Last edited by Cloud9Skywalker,

RoyalLemons

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I know that i've asked this once before but I didn't get a clear answer and i've seen many conflicting responses and statements.
Is it worth it to try downgrading on a n3DS?
A lot of people say that bricking is really common with n3DS downgrading, though others say it's the same as the o3DS. What's the story there?
Will being restricted on a 9.5 emuNAND actually limit anything that a person with an o3DS 10.3 emuNAND might have?
Is it also true that you cannot play games that use your NNID for online if you downgrade? If it is, is there any way around it?

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I know that i've asked this once before but I didn't get a clear answer and i've seen many conflicting responses and statements.
A lot of people say that bricking is really common with n3DS downgrading, though others say it's the same as the o3DS. What's the story there?
Will being restricted on a 9.5 emuNAND actually limit anything that a person with an o3DS 10.3 emuNAND might have?
Is it also true that you cannot play games that use your NNID for online if you downgrade? If it is, is there any way around it?
Just wait for TKM.

Tyson TH

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I successfully downgraded my o3DS on my first attempt, no issues WHATSOEVER, but that just maybe my luck.

still too scared to downgrade my n3ds tho

Reactions: squishyscrump

RoyalLemons

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just wait for TKM.
I assume KTM and TKM are the same...?
If i'm right there, there's been quite a few posts saying that KTM and sysupdater are the same in regards to downgrading though KTM just double checks that your .cia files are correct or something. So if you follow the instructions on the current guides, doesn't that mean KTM would just make things more newbie friendly?

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I assume KTM and TKM are the same...?
If i'm right there, there's been quite a few posts saying that KTM and sysupdater are the same in regards to downgrading though KTM just double checks that your .cia files are correct or something. So if you follow the instructions on the current guides, doesn't that mean KTM would just make things more newbie friendly?
Typo.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do indeed have a n3ds, so the highest firmware I would be able to reach is 9.5 on my Emunand?
yes sir
Will that be a problem at all when I try to access anything Internet based?
depends on what we are talking about here but in general there exist fixes for most all things you need
Or better yet will I have any restrictions on that firmware or does it not even matter?
there will be restrictions (but again with fixes) games that require fw versions higher than 9.5 will need to be cryptofixed (unsure if i spelled that correctly) to work on 9.5
Someone recommended to me that I use Cakes CFW instead
its in the guide i linked for you (the n3ds guide that is)
I haven't looked into RxTools really.
most people use this on n3ds because they or someone they know uses rxtools . . . but whoever said you should use cakes was correct as rxtools does not fully support n3sds (read here )
does it matter really at the end which Firmware I decide to install?
they are indeed all different but easy to uninstall and or convert from . . . in other words you can change up later easily if you decide to but they are very different still

Reactions: Cloud9Skywalker

RoyalLemons

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Someone help me out? I can't find tutorial for menuhax 2.1
You could download 2.1 from here and place it in your apps folder then just run it? I've heard some people say it doesn't work for n3DS and some say it does. Not sure what system you're using but that's what I was able to find.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm in a dilemma. I want a downgraded (to 9.2) 3DS that has Pokemon Bank. Currently my N3DS has Pokemon Bank and the NNID attached to it. Should I transfer to my O3DS and downgrade there, or should I wait for a stable N3DS downgrade option?

RoyalLemons

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So I'm in a dilemma. I want a downgraded (to 9.2) 3DS that has Pokemon Bank. Currently my N3DS has Pokemon Bank and the NNID attached to it. Should I transfer to my O3DS and downgrade there, or should I wait for a stable N3DS downgrade option?
If KTM (kernal time machine) is going to be released tomorrow, wait to see if that fixes most of the n3DS issues. If it does, just use that to downgrade. Apparently it's meant to be more stable so we'll see.

Reactions: RustInPeace

Acryt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After hundreds of attempts for it to work, it worked. Scared the crap out of me because I got a power off error before anything was done, then got the black screen of death. Took SD card out for themehax and it worked fine afterwards, thought I was screwed.

3DSDSXL

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok after 2 days of trying to downgrade it finally worked. I had a error but it shows v9.2 now and everything seems to be fine. I can go into setting play games on sky 3ds is the error at the end normal? i had to press power down to restart when it came back on. It was on 9.2 after it flashed a few cia files took about 2 mins

New 3DS XL
Nijahax and cubic ninja as entry point i started vgba and exit it.Then started i used (sysUpdater-0.4.2b-libkhax-SAFEMODE-priority) it started working flashing cia files and gave a error at the end.i had to hold the power button down but its on 9.2 now all working good.

Last edited by 3DSDSXL,

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could download 2.1 from here and place it in your apps folder then just run it? I've heard some people say it doesn't work for n3DS and some say it does. Not sure what system you're using but that's what I was able to find.

Not sure where you heard that but I was able to install MenuHax 2.1 multiple times (was testing stuff with FBI, CIA, etc.) and every single time it worked perfectly on my N3DS.

I haven't downgraded yet so I'm not sure if you meant on lower firmwares, but it works flawlessly on 9.9 (custom theme. and added the menuhax loading menu, all works).

*EDIT* Looked in to it, seems people with N3DS 9.2 can use MenuHax just fine

Last edited by Vanth88,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended