Hacking Flashed?

shenniko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

Bought a 2nd hand 360 (phat) the guy said it was chipped though didn't know what chip.. And didn't know much about it, just said his mate made it so it can play "backups".

Without taking it apart, is there any way to tell if it's just flashed or chipped? I can't seem to find any custom dashboards or anything like that, though it does play backups.

Other than that, I'm pretty interested in getting my son the Disney infinity thing, though it needs to be connected to Web, and requires an update (have a vanilla xbox also and this was the case).. If the system is just flashed, would this cause any problems to update?

Thanks

Shenn

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What dashboard version are you on? Originally it would not have mattered much* what dash you were on but MS updated the DVD firmware for the XGD3 disc format, depending upon how far back you are it might still have that update to do. For the most part that update would just update the firmware and be done with it but it could render it inoperable under certain circumstances (nothing you could not pull back if you have the keys and flashing gear but you probably lack the former).

*dash wise anyway, older flashed firmwares might have struggled to play newer burned games.

Also what DVD version do you have ( http://www.xbox-scene.com/versions-xbox360-dvd-model.php )? It might help narrow down things down as you would be correct in thinking some people use chipped as shorthand for modded (similar to some using jailbreak today). There were DVD drive hardmods, and are more on the slim models, but they are not so common on the original style 360 as it was pretty much a software (with maybe a bit of hardware at the time of flashing but no permanent soldering).

Equally you might have a banned 360, or a flagged 360 that gets banned next time online if it is that old and DVD flashed. I am not sure what goes with the latter these days (some got flagged and then waited a year and were never banned, others had other things happen).

shenniko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xbox was foe my son, and it's at his moms so couldn't check dashboard version.. Will message her and ask her to check.. Though she isn't the most technical person.

Did quickly check the disk tray, though couldn't take front off to check wires, so it's a Philips-BENQ/LiteOn VAD6038 or Philips-LiteOn DG-16D2S.

As for going online, the guy did say he went online with the console, but not sure how accurate that was...

Edit: The dashboard version is 2.0.17349.0

Shenn

Last edited by shenniko,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
17349 was the most current one until three weeks ago, and way past the point at which the DVD drives updated.

If it is benq/liteon then it is very unlikely it has any kind of hardmod done to the DVD drive as far as a cheap/replacement PCB or something.

So yeah update as you so desire; it should not change anything. If you can contact the seller to get the DVD keys/firmware dumps then it might help you in the long run (doubtful there will be another piracy frustrating update but not impossible) but no great issue if you can not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: