Hardware Fixing an O3DS XL's volume slider?

Frezgle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, a couple years ago, I dropped my 3DS XL onto some pavement because the thing is a huge brick and really doesn't belong in a sweatshirt pocket.
It landed on its volume slider, and since then, it's been permanently stuck at max volume - if I really force it, I can move the plastic bit of the slider, but internally it's still stuck in some fashion.
I had a similar issue with my smart phone's power button more recently, and I managed to fix that by simply opening it and putting a bit of buffer between the button and the outside "button". Any of you with hardmod or repair experience, is the 3DS' volume slider similar to that and potentially an easy fix for someone only casually familiar with hardware repair like myself? I ask because I don't want to waste time getting what I need to open it if it's a lost cause.

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like the plastic got a little bit bent so the slider can't move back and forth smoothly. The 3DS XL volume slider is easy to access and replace. Once you remove the back of the console you can reach it immediately, though you might want to remove the analog stick as well so you have a bit more room in which to work. The plastic part of the slider that moves back and forth can be easily replaced if it's too damaged to bend back into shape: http://www.ebay.com/itm/302054656022
www.ebay.com/itm/262452168526

You can also replace the slider itself, but it's less likely that it would be damaged: www.ebay.com/itm/302054656022

Reactions: Frezgle

Frezgle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like something I can manage. Now I've just got to get ahold of a small enough screwdriver. Thanks! :)

EDIT: So I got to borrow a very small phillip's head screwdriver from a friend, opened it up, and what do you know - the little nub on the slider that's seated in the external part had merely been knocked loose the whole time. I literally only had to push it back in. The sweet freedom of not having to have something in the audio jack at all times has returned to me.

Last edited by Frezgle,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1