Hardware First Use Of 3DS IR Port

lostdwarf

OP
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
you do not need to plug anything in i assure you. the ir port is covered by the slide pad ir port... they just touch each other... no plug so to speak. they should automatically talk to each other. no software neccessary

also it means 3rd party peripherals could be any shape and size and can communicate with the 3ds without clogging its wifi for connection. 3ds does not have bluetooth so this is the solution. it is very amazing really. guitar hero is possible now. no need for a gba slot!
see my point?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Can this be used for h4X0ring purposes?
ph34r.gif

Is there a handshake protocol? Do the console and the peripheral exchange keys? Can this be... abused?
ph34r.gif

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Veho said:
ph34r.gif

Is there a handshake protocol? Do the console and the peripheral exchange keys? Can this be... abused?
ph34r.gif

I doubt that it 'just works' the software itself will have to do the communication. The slid controller will very likely be of no use what so ever outside of the games it's intended for.

ChrisRX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Veho said:
ph34r.gif

ph34r.gif
I would say quite unlikely. As this butts up against the IR port with little light getting into it I would say the amount of error correction and therefore exploitable code is absolutely minimal.

rashef

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Poland
Veho said:
ph34r.gif

ph34r.gif
The add-on's ir simply sends commands (buttons pressed, slide pad position) and 3ds's one recieves them if the software enables and uses the IR port. No keys or handshakes so the answer is No and No. (unless they make a stupid glitch that'll overflow and all that needed haxxy stuff when the game recieves a command it normally shouldn't for example out of range slidepad position, but that's doubtful)

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
lostdwarf said:
you do not need to plug anything in i assure you. the ir port is covered by the slide pad ir port... they just touch each other... no plug so to speak. they should automatically talk to each other. no software neccessary

also it means 3rd party peripherals could be any shape and size and can communicate with the 3ds without clogging its wifi for connection. 3ds does not have bluetooth so this is the solution. it is very amazing really. guitar hero is possible now. no need for a gba slot!
see my point?
This.
happy.gif
Guitar Hero FTW!

I hope, if they decide to make one for the 3DS, that the Guitar Grip they make looks like an actual, if tiny, guitar, with the buttons along the neck of the guitar. The grip will also be a cradle, kinda like the slide pad extension. also, the cradle should jack right into the headphone port and should include louder speakers for maximum impact. i wonder why the DS guitar grip didn't have this...

OR... they just make it into two parts. one part is the Guitar Grip/controller, and the 2nd part clips at the back and communicates via IR. the 2nd part talks to the controller wirelessly, probably bluetooth. but then you won't have to actually hold the 3DS anymore... gahaha.

crazy ideas. but Guitar Hero better happen!

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Most Formidable Lord said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't there be some latency issues?
Let's say the analog slider has a resolution of 1024 states per each axis (I pulled that number out of my ass but it's a nice large round number so I'll go with it), that's 10 bits per axis, and if the shoulder keys are binary (1 bit per button), plus a parity bit, that's 24 bit, add an 40 bit control string to get a nice round 64 bit sequence that's constantly repeating. That's a 64 bit packet. A 1 kbps connection would give you 16 samples per second. Standard IrDA ports have a lowest speed of 2.4 kbps, that's 38 samples per second, minus maybe a few due to errors. They could go to a higher bandwidth and get even more. There shouldn't be any lag or latency issues.

Don't you think they tested the latency in product testing? I mean there's a lot on the line with this peripheral.

shinjipsx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Look at this. It's so close to a ideal design.
51gZe5dCBvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyf0VbC-uSU[/youtube]

Look at the like bar.
laugh.gif

thats the host from "the tester"? the reality of psn?

D

Deleted User

FIRST USE OF 3DS IR PORT, IR PORT USED BY CIRCLE THINGY ADD ON MAJOBBY

...I think I love you.

gumgod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My concern with this is that if it doesn't plug into the 3DS and communicates with IR, then this extension going to need batteries. Also this second analog is only going to be used by 1-2 games because it requires special hardware...

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gumgod said:
My concern with this is that if it doesn't plug into the 3DS and communicates with IR, then this extension going to need batteries. Also this second analog is only going to be used by 1-2 games because it requires special hardware...
Just because a game features hardware, it doesn't mean it requires it. For example, lots of Wii games are supporting classic controller (pro), gamecube, and WM+, but most, if not all of them can be played with just a Wiimote and (maybe) nunchuck OR they come out with a combo pack for any game that requires an accessory.

gumgod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AaronUzumaki said:
gumgod said:
Just because a game features hardware, it doesn't mean it requires it. For example, lots of Wii games are supporting classic controller (pro), gamecube, and WM+, but most, if not all of them can be played with just a Wiimote and (maybe) nunchuck OR they come out with a combo pack for any game that requires an accessory.

Yea, but have you tried playing guitar hero without the guitar? Some games are built for specific controls, and although they may support other control schemes, they are often very lacking. Also the comment I made about it only being used for 1-2 games, was because I think it should be used for more games, but most likely won't be because not everyone will have that controller, and game developers try to hit the biggest market.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's certainly more than just 1 or 2 games - Monster Hunter Tri, Metal Gear, Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil: Revelations, Ace Combat: Cross Rumble, and Dynasty Warriors VS have all been confirmed to be compatible with the device. It'll likely be implemented into a lot of newer titles, while those who don't want to slider pad left using the touch screen. All of the previously mentioned titles, with the exception of DW, has been confirmed to be playable without the slider pad. (And DW will likely not require it either, as SW3 didn't.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0