TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
1st thing i see , a black storm trooper, oh WTF disney , stormtroopers are jengo fett clones what are you doing

Stormtroopers haven't been made up of clones since before A New Hope... This has been made clear in quite a few official sources.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with what I've seen, though frankly, I don't see enough that I can really judge yet.

Even though it looks kind of weird, I'm happy with the new lightsaber. It finally solves the inherent design flaw of lightsabers not having a hilt, especially when characters go into that dramatic "cross sabers" moment, when they could easily just lower their blades onto the othrer's hands...

Reactions: chavosaur

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My Star Wars related indifference is unshaken.

On the crossguard thing I am surprised nobody brought up the ever fun "can't unsee" for lightsabers.

So a lightsaber is a kind of low area focused energy weapon you can turn on and off. Why can't I turn the beam off mid swing, have a small handle swinging around instead, reform the beam after dodging the blocking saber and then slice the fool in half.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that it's because it takes some time for the beam to reform after turning it off, or something. That, and dodging a swing aimed at you while being in mid-swing yourself would probably be extremely difficult.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you think third saga is pointless?

Eh, not really.

People don't give a shit if a thousand pieces of printed media are made for Star Wars, all with conflicting canon and all expanding the universe upwards of thousands of years. A new movie shouldn't get people riled up if all this expanded universe stuff doesn't.

Mostly I see three complaints about the movie, none of which I understand entirely.

1) It's beating a dead horse (see above)
2) It's JJ Abrams - he's a good director, everyone makes fun of him going "lollensflare talentless hack" but he's pretty good. He knows how to make visually appealing, entertaining movies. Scripts have been lacking in his films but I can't put the blame entirely on him. Get a good writer, give him good material, and he does a good job.
3) It's conflicting with canon - well Star Wars "canon" outside of the movies is fucking stupid and I hope it does conflict with the awful canon. I mean it's thirteen year old fan wank at best. It's shit like a moon crashing into Chewbacca while he yells at it and Boba Fett crawling out of the Sarlac pit only to become the king of Mandalor. It's shit that's so fucking dumb that it needs to be destroyed canonically. Also, JJ Abrams made a Star Trek movie that can be considered both canonical and noncanonical at the same time. I think he knows what he's doing.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3) It's conflicting with canon - well Star Wars "canon" outside of the movies is fucking stupid and I hope it does conflict with the awful canon. I mean it's thirteen year old fan wank at best. It's shit like a moon crashing into Chewbacca while he yells at it and Boba Fett crawling out of the Sarlac pit only to become the king of Mandalor. It's shit that's so fucking dumb that it needs to be destroyed canonically. Also, JJ Abrams made a Star Trek movie that can be considered both canonical and noncanonical at the same time. I think he knows what he's doing.

I resisted at first but I am with you. Mind you I REALLY enjoyed reading the hundreds of comics and tons upon tons of books that I have been through, for the most part, they were fantastic, but yes occasionally the pen would be put into the wrong hand, and stupid cannon was created as well.

With that in mind, I am actually thinking that this new script, if real, makes more sense for a Jedi Mystic like Luke who just spent the past decade developing within the strange world of the force, and then once he became master, he beheaded the Empire, he killed his own father, and well all sorts of trauma inducing events.
It would make sense that he would vanish, go off and meditate, develop, research, prepare, because the task of starting a new Jedi Temple is not easy, it would not be a case of,"oh, it's the day after the Battle of Endor, let's go deal with the remnants of the Empire, and start hunting for new children to train in the ways of the force..."

No, I'm thinking all that would take time to fall into place, Luke would vanish, Lea would continue with the resistance, and Han... well who knows where time has taken Han and Chewie in the mean time, but in retrospect, I think things would develop and unfold slower than they did in the old sequel books.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I seem to recall reading somewhere that it's because it takes some time for the beam to reform after turning it off, or something. That, and dodging a swing aimed at you while being in mid-swing yourself would probably be extremely difficult.

I have no desire to get into a fictional physics of star wars debate (not that I am accusing you of being the sort to do such things), but that just seems like a complete cop out. On the difficult part I thought they are supposed to be magic future(ish) predicting*, master swordsmen, ninja types.

*every explanation I have seen, which admittedly does amount to a couple of games with some explanatory text, said it was future predicting.

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i liked the look of it, looks a lot more visually appealing than the prequel trilogy did. I am starting to gain more confidence about the new movies

AsPika2219

Pikachu going beach!
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I will waiting for this....

...with the power of MR BEAN! :P
280e8be5c627b5d95301dabdb8774d32.jpg

Reactions: matpower

somewhereovertherainbow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What you remember from the Star Trek movies? The new ones.

How they was generic? How the humour was lacking? How they think visual effects is everything?
And lastly how many thought the new disney movies was fun ( Malificent, Snow White) ?

Not Many liked them? Well, StarWars is directed by the StarTrek dude and produced by Disney
( the we like to re-produce our old movies but in worse versions)

Thats where we are heading... into the sarlacc
sarlacc.jpg

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Boba Fett crawling out of the Sarlac pit only to become the king of Mandalor. It's shit that's so fucking dumb that it needs to be destroyed canonically.

To be fair, Lucas has said himself Boba's alive. And where else would he go after getting humiliated than back home with his blaster between his slave one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good morning