First & Second Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer released

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
So a lightsaber is a kind of low area focused energy weapon you can turn on and off. Why can't I turn the beam off mid swing, have a small handle swinging around instead, reform the beam after dodging the blocking saber and then slice the fool in half.
Because while your saber is off, the fool can take a swing at you and you have nothing to block with. Especially is the style prefers parrying to blocking, and without your sword activated his swing will strike you. At best, you get mutually assured destruction. Worst case scenario, he chops you in half before you get to stab him.

Besides, if we're doing the on-off thing, why not just aim the saber right at the opponent and poke at him until you hit an opening? Thrusts are nigh impossible to block if they're fast enough. But then the saber becomes a limited range blaster anyhow, and that's just not cool.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Though by no means a move without risk I would still imagine it is worth it (again master swordsmen, or at least some were supposed to be).

Assuming that was the case though you then get into the weirder stuff like can I have a jagged/offset one and form the blade when the offset one is blocked. Can I have a three pronged affair and a pivot (the blades are light so the practicality problems than a normal sword would have like that).

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What you remember from the Star Trek movies? The new ones.

How they was generic? How the humour was lacking? How they think visual effects is everything?
And lastly how many thought the new disney movies was fun ( Malificent, Snow White) ?

Not Many liked them? Well, StarWars is directed by the StarTrek dude and produced by Disney
( the we like to re-produce our old movies but in worse versions)

Thats where we are heading... into the sarlacc
sarlacc.jpg

What? The Star Trek movies had some humor and visual effects are nice to have, especially in a sci-fi universe. Would you rather have archaic looking models like in The Original Series just for "authenticity"?

Star Trek movies have never been high art anyway. Half of them are bad. Rarely they try to be what Star Trek actually is. At least the Abrams one was enjoyable, well made, and had interesting elements to it instead of "save the whales".

This whole post just screams "WAHHHH REMEMBER THE 90S EVERYTHING WAS SO GREAT." There's nothing wrong with visual effects. There's nothing wrong with making a serious movie. Not everything can be trapped in the 70s, 80s, or 90s.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think the saber's cool. Thing is, the trailer just isn't very... exciting. Or doesn't show anything interesting.

I view it more as a teaser, I mean they just wrapped up principal photography for the film like a few weeks ago. And Imagine the vfx team whipped their respective parts up quick just for this trailer(teaser).

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What you remember from the Star Trek movies? The new ones.

How they was generic? How the humour was lacking? How they think visual effects is everything?
And lastly how many thought the new disney movies was fun ( Malificent, Snow White) ?

Not Many liked them? Well, StarWars is directed by the StarTrek dude and produced by Disney
( the we like to re-produce our old movies but in worse versions)

Thats where we are heading... into the sarlacc
sarlacc.jpg

A lot of this comes down to the script. That was the main flaw behind the Star Trek films, especially part 2. The script didn't make no sense, as for Star Wars fans, or at least those of us born long enough ago to have experienced the originals, played the pen and paper RPG, read the books, comics, etc. Detail within story line is pretty darn important, things have to fit and they have to make sense...

...that's why most of us hate the prequels, they screwed up so much of the already established story line amongst other things... badly written, badly directed, the actors didn't have clear guidance and were trying out something new...

Oh, and CGI and Digital film were not quite up to the task at that period in time either.

To be fair, Lucas has said himself Boba's alive. And where else would he go after getting humiliated than back home with his blaster between his slave one.

Lucas honestly has had a very very small role though in the creation of the Star Wars universe. He had a TON of help with Episode Four, and he didn't even write the next two films let alone direct them. In fact he was rarely seen on set during the making of Empire. Furthermore he never had a grand vision of a 9 let alone a 6 part series back in the early 70's It's all hype.

As for the books, he said they would all be cannon, problem was that he never put together a team to over see all this stuff, at least not to the detail it needed to be over saw, and as a result, there are at least three variations as to how Bobba Fett survived, the Kevin J Anderson tale being the most retarded of course.

Though now that Disney is throwing out the baby with the bath water in regards to cannon, they can say Bobba Survived how ever they please. Sadly though this means that the Prequels (as they appeared on film, not book or comic), and the Clone Wars TV series, really happened. They are not cutting the worst part of the EU sadly. :/

Reactions: Nightwish

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Though now that Disney is throwing out the baby with the bath water in regards to cannon, they can say Bobba Survived how ever they please. Sadly though this means that the Prequels (as they appeared on film, not book or comic), and the Clone Wars TV series, really happened. They are not cutting the worst part of the EU sadly. :/
I actually liked the Clone wars TV shows (both of them). And even Videogames make Clone Wars look cool (Republic Commando anyone?). Problem is the Movies were just bad.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually liked the Clone wars TV shows (both of them). And even Videogames make Clone Wars look cool (Republic Commando anyone?). Problem is the Movies were just bad.

The Republic Commando books were AMAZING!!! I've got the game, but never got sucked into it like I did with Dark Forces I and II.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the problem, it don't think it's going to feel like Star Wars. As terrible as the prequels are, you still feel like you're watching a Star Wars movie.
When I saw Abrams Trek, I thought he'd make for a good Star Wars director, but something about this teaser seemed too Abramsy. Something about that Stormtrooper in the teaser was off-putting to me, and I don't mean because he's black or anything about the actor himself. Just the way he popped up from the sand and his expression screamed Abrams-directed. And all of the aerospace combat felt like it was trying so hard to look impressive, like with the X-wings skimming the water and then the Falcon proceeds to do a loop and pull up just skimming the sand and then just dodging a couple of TIEs. And can somebody explain that lightsaber to me? I mean, if it's supposed to guard your hand from another saber sliding down to the hilt, it won't do a very good job since the hilt juts out before the beams so they'd just get cut off instead of stop anything.

I'm sure it'll still be an entertaining movie of the summer popcorn-flick variety, but I'm not sure how much emotional depth they'll be able to give it.

Haymose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My initial reaction to the trisaber is that maybe it's a key of some sort. Must be something other than just a weapon or else it will forever be bashed by fans.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.