Hardware First PC build.

SnakeOil992

Walking bruh moment
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So, come September I'll order a custom built PC from a known site here. I've never owned an actual PC before, so I'd like to see your opinion on the parts it's going to have:

• CPU: Intel i5-7600k(Yes, not Ryzen.)
  • GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G(not the newer + edition)
  • Motherboard: Asus Prime Z270-P
  • RAM: Two Corsair Vengeance LPX 4GB DDR4 2400MHz Non-ECC CL16
  • CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X
  • HDD: Toshiba 1TB Desktop SATA III
  • Drive: Asus DVD Writer DRW-24D5MT
  • Power Supply: Corsair VS Series VS550 550W
  • Box: Cooler Master CM 690 III - Midnight Black

Well, what do you think? I worry about the tower being too small for every component to fit there and the cooler being too big for the RAM sticks to fit. Share your thoughts.

Last edited by SnakeOil992,

jDSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would get an SSD as a boot drive and keep all my games on the HDD but that's just me.

Other than that it looks pretty good.

SnakeOil992

Walking bruh moment
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
get 2x8... 8 gb is low now...
Agreed. Other than that it looks pretty beastly
Truth be told, I am aware that 16gb or more is the future now. I'll make sure to buy a 8gb stick some months after I build it. Money shortages just don't allow for some things to be done on time. What I worry more about is if the case has enough room for everything to fit in.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Truth be told, I am aware that 16gb or more is the future now. I'll make sure to buy a 8gb stick some months after I build it. Money shortages just don't allow for some things to be done on time. What I worry more about is if the case has enough room for everything to fit in.
If you're going to do that, I'd recommend getting a single 8GB stick right now rather than buying two 4GB sticks. Room shouldn't be a concern, it looks like everything should be able to fit comfortably in that case

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
then get just 1x8 stick, and later an equal stick...
if you going with for the 2x4 for the dual channel, it's a waste IMHO
get rid of the dvd writer and use that money for the 2x8 sticks...
no one uses dvds anymore, and since you seem to never actually owned a pc, you won't need it..
OS is installed through a thumb drive

bennyman123abc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no one uses dvds anymore, and since you seem to never actually owned a pc, you won't need it..
I still use DVDs for OS installation

Reactions: BlastedGuy9905

SnakeOil992

Walking bruh moment
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Yeah, what I forgot to say though is that I used to have a laptop(which I don't consider to be a PC, but that's for an other time). Also, you guys seem to be the first people to tell me dual channel is a waste tbh. Most have told me dual channel is the better way. I am not the one to know in any case.

EDIT: I wanted to say I used to burn CDs with that laptop.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Yeah, what I forgot to say though is that I used to have a laptop(which I don't consider to be a PC, but that's for an other time). Also, you guys seem to be the first people to tell me dual channel is a waste tbh. Most have told me dual channel is the better way. I am not the one to know in any case.

i mean, it's a waste in the long run..
dual channel works the best with equal sticks.. if you add a 8gb later to thoose 2x4 it may not work as good...
that's why i mean to get only 1 stick now, it will work just fine and later when you can get the second one you get the pair of the same..

SnakeOil992

Walking bruh moment
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Nowadays it's rather low.

Also @Elysium420 I don't think anybody is telling you not to go dual channel.. They're telling you to look at 2x8GB sticks.
I edited my post. I need that drive to be honest. And it doesn't matter. I'll just earn some money from my translating job on a site and buy another stick no problem.

Reactions: Kioku

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Dual channel is definitely the better option, but getting 4GB DIMMs right now is kind of pointless from an upgradeability standpoint. It'd be better to go single-channel 8GB for right now and upgrade to dual-channel 16GB later than to do dual channel 8GB now

SnakeOil992

Walking bruh moment
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Dual channel is definitely the better option, but getting 4GB DIMMs right now is kind of pointless from an upgradeability standpoint. It'd be better to go single-channel 8GB for right now and upgrade to dual-channel 16GB later than to do dual channel 8GB now
I see your point there and it's a good one. I'll take it into consideration before buying anything.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Board has 4 slots though. Nothing to stop 2x4GB dual channel now, then another 2 later. 4X4 will still run in dual channel as both memory banks will have equal memory. Only thing going 2x4 really limits is going above 16GB in the future for whatever reason.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Board has 4 slots though. Nothing to stop 2x4GB dual channel now, then another 2 later. 4X4 will still run in dual channel as both memory banks will have equal memory. Only thing going 2x4 really limits is going above 16GB in the future for whatever reason.
Looking back at how memory usage has evolved over time, I'm very uncomfortable telling people 16GB will be "enough." Is much rather leave the possibility to upgrade it to 32GB as time passes

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For a gaming machine, 8GB is not enough. There are games out there right now that will use >8GB, so not sure why people are arguing it's fine. For everyday use, yeah, for gaming, no.

Futuring proofing argument, meh. By the time >16GB is needed the platform will probably be out of date and a system upgrade in order anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...