Firefox or Chrome

Firefox or Chrome?

• Total voters

xcrimsonstormx

He called me a Nerd, I called him an Ambulance.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've recently debated switching to Firefox because recently I've learned that Chrome uses more RAM then Firefox which I really don't like as I do a lot of multitasking so my question is which is better for performance Firefox or Chrome? I've been using Chrome for a while now and really enjoy it, but I've never really tried Firefox as it has always crapped out on me or started glitching, but maybe I should reconsider? :unsure:

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I've recently debated switching to Firefox because recently I've learned that Chrome uses more RAM then Firefox which I really don't like as I do a lot of multitasking so my question is which is better for performance Firefox or Chrome? I've been using Chrome for a while now and really enjoy it, but I've never really tried Firefox as it has always crapped out on me or started glitching, but maybe I should reconsider? :unsure:

If you have a NVIDIA GeForce graphics card stay away from Firefox.
Firefox tended* (and may still) have problems with the new NVIDIA softwares that the team is experimenting with in the graphics drivers and GeForce experience.

D

Deleted-236924

Firefox always goes super slow when I try multi-tasking, while Chrome works perfectly.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
If you have a NVIDIA GeForce graphics card stay away from Firefox.
Firefox tended* (and may still) have problems with the new NVIDIA softwares that the team is experimenting with in the graphics drivers and GeForce experience.
Disabling hardware acceleration solved all of the problems in that department.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Pure performance, especially on some javascript heavy stuff, it is probably still chrome though firefox does not lack.

I stick with firefox mainly as I have yet to find a chrome equivalent that goes up against noscript, adblock, ghostery, greasemonkey, requestpolicy and the like. Sure chrome has some nice addons but they are not firefox class addons, however adblock, ghostery and a flash blocker all exist and chrome almost natively supports greasemonkey scripts so most will not be able to tell the difference. Certainly if a client ends up with Chrome as their main web browser then I am not going to change it back unless they ask.

I can not say I have tried my day to day web dev in chrome. Obviously I will render things in it but firebug and co do so well for me in firefox, I have not tried Firebug Lite which looks like it might do most of what I want (I mainly like the live editing of HTML and CSS).

Reactions: oddMLan

Kippykip

j e f f
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
Pure performance, especially on some javascript heavy stuff, it is probably still chrome though firefox does not lack.

I stick with firefox mainly as I have yet to find a chrome equivalent that goes up against noscript, adblock, ghostery, greasemonkey, requestpolicy and the like. Sure chrome has some nice addons but they are not firefox class addons, adblock, ghostery and a flash blocker all exist and chrome almost natively supports greasemonkey scripts so most will not be able to tell the difference. Certainly if I client ends up with Chrome as their main web browser then I am not going to change it back unless they ask.

I can not say I have tried my day to day web dev in chrome. Obviously I will render things in it but firebug and co do so well for me in firefox, I have not tried Firebug Lite which looks like it might do most of what I want (I mainly like the live editing of HTML and CSS).
Never heard of FireBug but looks interesting
EDIT: Using it now because of better Inspect Element :D

xcrimsonstormx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firefox always goes super slow when I try multi-tasking, while Chrome works perfectly.

This is what I was worried about thanks everyone for the responses TIL that I should stick to Chrome unless I am interested in development or something particularly specific. I believe that for now I will stick with chrome as it does everything I like, but I will keep my eye on firefox as it seems to be not far behind in terms of multitasking.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you use Google services a lot, like Google Drive, Docs, YouTube, or the search engine, then stick with Chrome. Google is starting to break their services when used in browsers other than their own (they are particularly vengeful with IE users).

If you do a lot of web shopping, then FireFox is a much better bet. It doesn't run as smooth as the others, but I have yet to find a web store that FF doesn't work on. The same cannot be said for IE or Chrome.

D

Deleted User

i used to LOVE firefox but then i tried chrome and its sync.... ?.... AMAZING :D Plus i find firefox was always slow :'(

xcrimsonstormx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried it before, but it was always slow so I never used it compared to Chrome I thought it has been a few years I might try it again, but apparently not.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country

That's right, but I think Chrome's is a little bit easier since so many people already have a Google account and Chrome's sync does more than just bookmarks. When I set Chrome up on a new computer it will automatically pull down my history, bookmarks, extensions and even themes and my browser is ready to go in seconds. Can't really say the same about the others.

It's all subjective, though. xcrimsonstormx, why don't you try Firefox for a short while and see if you like it?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Opera 12.16 <3

Seriously Firefox suffered from memory leaks far to much.
Chrome only updates itself to increase its version number... and is part of the google botnet.

No, I stick with Opera <3

Reactions: migles

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I use Firefox myself. I don't really think one is necessarily better than the other, both are pretty nice.

That's right, but I think Chrome's is a little bit easier since so many people already have a Google account and Chrome's sync does more than just bookmarks. When I set Chrome up on a new computer it will automatically pull down my history, bookmarks, extensions and even themes and my browser is ready to go in seconds. Can't really say the same about the others.

It's all subjective, though. xcrimsonstormx, why don't you try Firefox for a short while and see if you like it?

Firefox's sync menu:
3035780038.png

:P (theme is included in either addons or preferences, not sure)

kavevor

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
I stick with firefox mainly as I have yet to find a chrome equivalent that goes up against noscript, adblock, ghostery, greasemonkey, requestpolicy and the like.

Adblock and ghostery exist on Chrome. For noscript and request policy, try HTTP Switchboard, it replaces both add-on (plus privacy features, and even support adblock filters).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Had a quick scan of the addon page. Looks good and might even help to lessen the "it is there, but weaker" thing I often get when using Chrome's equivalents in the addon world.
Thanks kavevor.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality