BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The somewhat useful posts from the previous thread

Swiizard said:
Master Mo said:
I also kinda like the new look of FF but until they don`t have all my add-ons available on FF4 I`ll stay on FF3 as long as possible... though I still look forward to 4 getting completed finally.

When you install "nightly tester tools" you can force the installation of add-ons, and the most I have just work.

Cyan said:
Release Candidate usually means that they stop adding new features, and now only fix remaining bugs before official release. it's still considered beta but a "freeze" beta.
There can be RC1, RC2, etc. up until they think it's stable enough for a 4.0 final.
development usually goes through this steps : alpha > beta > RC > Final.

4.0b12 has a major bug in the webpage printing feature (no layout at all, only letters).
I forgot to test if it was corrected in the RC1.

For me, this RC1 means I will have to work on my add-on for a final release soon, or more users will complain that it doesn't work on 4.0
more work for me
sad.gif

Swiizard said:
When you install "nightly tester tools" you can force the installation of add-ons, and the most I have just work.Add-on developers don't like this add-on !
Users are reporting that their currently installed add-on are not compatible, while the developers already know it and usually have already a new beta version available, but users just don't check if there's one, they just complain and Mozilla report their comments to tell us to work on a new version (which is already done).
There's another way to disable add-on version checking without installing this add-on, but I guess it's easier for the common users to use it.

Jan1tor said:
I'll be sticking to my current version of Firefox. I don't like the new look and they are taking out the built in multi user agent. That is one of the main reasons I started using it. New firefox = Giant icons, monocrome, the status bar at the bottom is gone. I mean if I want to use IE or Chrome I will, don't destroy the good Firefox that I like. I like the tabs they way they are now, not on top. And a lot of the features that were in the options are hidden now too. My brother is a beta tester for them and there are a lot of issues I just don't like.

SylvWolf said:
Jan1tor said:
I'll be sticking to my current version of Firefox. I don't like the new look and they are taking out the built in multi user agent. That is one of the main reasons I started using it. New firefox = Giant icons, monocrome, the status bar at the bottom is gone. I mean if I want to use IE or Chrome I will, don't destroy the good Firefox that I like. I like the tabs they way they are now, not on top. And a lot of the features that were in the options are hidden now too. My brother is a beta tester for them and there are a lot of issues I just don't like.
1. I'm not sure what you mean by "multi user agent." Profile manager? There's probably still a way to do that, if that's what you mean.
2. Icons don't seem that much bigger to me, but I've been a different theme until now, so maybe I'm just not seeing it. Also, themes (will also solve your color issue).
3. Status bar. You can add this back in.
4. Tabs. You can change them to be where they used to be.
5. Options. Not sure on this, there doesn't seem to be anything missing, at least not that I was using a lot.

haddad said:
Omg!!! As soon as I upgraded to Firefox V4, my touchpad scroll up and down stopped working

anyone else have same problem?
Holy crap, you're right. I don't actually use my touchpad but the scroll no longer works.

Overall, I like what they've done. I always had a few issues with 3.5 and 3.6, but they've been corrected, or so it seems. FF4 from now on!

Urza said:
QUOTE(Jan1tor @ Mar 10 2011, 03:34 PM)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/ad...agent-switcher/

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/ad.../status-4-evar/

Tabs can be swapped under the location bar with one click.

EDIT: If someone wants to recommend a good FF4-compatible addon for vertical tabs, that's the only thing I'm really missing (although Hide GUI Bars would be nice too).

EDIT2: Topic creator, its Firefox, not FireFox.

QUOTE(Urza @ Mar 11 2011, 04:02 AM)
The I'm using works fine, except only allows them on the left-side.

13173f50c3223118f61c07426207f575.png

Oh well. It's acceptable.

QUOTE(Antoligy @ Mar 15 2011, 09:54 PM)
QUOTE(Magsor @ Mar 14 2011, 02:31 PM)
Its been very very very very (very?) stable I cant remember when it crashed on me last. The only bug i have had in a previous beta version was with copy/pasting broken. Its not totally fixed I think either.
Copy+pasting isn't broken, it's just a security measure against XSS attacks. You have

Also there have been multiple reasons as to why it's taking so long to reach "stable" status, they're all in the changelog. Mozilla isn't very good at scheduling releases.

I've been using the FF4 since beta 1, and pretty much all of my issues have been resolved (such as tabs being on tab bar in fullscreen, no aero-peek etc...). Design-wise, I just wish that the menu button wasn't coloured orange. It's rather distracting.

D

Deleted-273695

Firefox 4 RC1 - No downloads bar at the bottom right when downloads are current.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Love it. The OSX users may need to tweak their about:config settings to get the pinch-to-zoom stuff back up and running if they installed the RC over 3.6.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
just installed it disappointed that cacheman isn't compatible with it now pages have to download every single time now the built in cache is useless.....

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
jesterscourt said:
Love it. The OSX users may need to tweak their about:config settings to get the pinch-to-zoom stuff back up and running if they installed the RC over 3.6.

Actually the OSX FF4 seems to have crashed quite a few times for me when trying to display Youtube videos on the forums.. This didn't happen in 3.6.x. Don't know if it's because of the plugins not 100% compatible yet (1password + AdBlock Plus), but personally the new release has been a bit unstable...
unsure.gif
Running OSX 10.6.7..

No problems so far on the VM's (Windows 7/Windows XP) with the new release.

-Qtis

D

Deleted User

I had the beta version and I liked it but the only thing I didn't like was not being able to run the add-on IE-tab but over all I like it it's sleek
tongue.gif

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
I checked a few hours ago and tabkit* and skipscreen (not that I really care about the sites that it deals with) were incompatible and I am far too lazy at present to see if I can disable addon compatibility checking for this version or use a developers tool.

I might fire up a VM or another box later though and check it out.

*yes I am well aware there are many other addons with similar functionality that probably will work.
Skipscreen is compatible now. Tab Kit isn't yet, but you might be able to find an alternative.

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well I don't really like it, but that's mainly because I can't save my tabs when I turn my laptop off anymore (yes I know that there is a session restore option, but the fucker deleted my tabs twice already).

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well I don't know if it's still the same but I used to be able to install previous versions without ill effects. Problem is I don't know which version of 3.6 was the latest, so I can't try it. (If you can tell me wich one it was then I'll try first because my bookmarks are backed up and I don't have any apps installed anyway, so that would be no loss for me)

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks, well I just reinstalled 3.6.16 and I still have everything (but if someone else decides to do this, I would recommend backing up you bookmars etc.).

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
3.0, 3.6 and 4.0 the RC2 of each of these releases has been IDENTICAL to the final build. I think it was 3.0 that attempted a world record of downloads in one day, and even encouraged users to join their IRC to download it as quickly as it was out, but technically speaking a lot of ppl already HAD the final build!

Mazor

Z80 master arch
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Searinox said:
3.0, 3.6 and 4.0 the RC2 of each of these releases has been IDENTICAL to the final build.
They're called release candidates for a reason.

Also no, FF3 actually had an RC3 release.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ringo619 said:
ima stick with chrome
cool thanks for telling us your opinion .

i can't really get used to the feel of this new Firefox .
i remember i could press F6 and it would directly go to the address bar . now it doesn't work .
looks like they're adopting that glass look of Windows too .

ecko

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
one thing i hate about ff4 is:
when typing for example "gbatemp" (without quotes) it goes to google instead of directly to the site like it used to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1