Fire Emblem if/Fates Translation Patch Released!

fire-emblem-fates-cast-of-characters-official-artwork-3ds-nintendo-640x207.jpg

A title that I have been following with acute interest as of late is a group over on Serene's Forest that started to translate the newest 3DS Fire Emblem title, Fire Emblem if. Within a short period after release, the team has finally come out and released a translation patch that translates menus, with further work being done to translate the story and other game elements, with the thought that localization is quite a ways off and that certain features may end up being censored. Under the lead of SciresM and Cellenseres, the translation project has made incredible progress in other matters, having fully translated the first several chapters of story dialogue.

To apply this patch, tread carefully because the means of applying the patch may cause irreversible damage. Unfortunately, the patch is only available to a Nintendo 3DS that is below or equal to firmware version 9.2. It currently works on any 3DS region but may require the region free patch to operate. The patch comes in two flavors: A ROM patcher and the NTR_CFW method.

For the ROM patcher, please refer to the readme.txt attached to the download. Using the NTR_CFW method follow these instructions:

1. You need a (New) Nintendo 3DS with Firmware 9.2 or lower, otherwise there's no way to execute custom code on your 3DS now,
2. You need to get NTR_CFW + RegionFree-Plugin + LayeredFS-Plugin (1.1 for 3DS, 2.2 for N3DS).
3. Download our Patch and extract the content to the Root of your SD Card.
4. Start NTR_CFW on your 3DS (MSET-Exploit, Spider-Exploit or Cubic Ninja Exploit) or on your N3DS (Cubic Ninja Exploit).
5. Start "Fire Emblem If - Special Edition" (Retail Cartridge or eShop Version, both will work).
6. While the 3DS - Logo screen, the top-screen should blink in green for ~0.5seconds (like in the Video).
7. Your Game is temporary patched! You can play our Translation!

The GBAtemp.net Staff will not take any responsibility for any consoles damaged using this exploit. Please proceed with caution, and best of luck. The two methods of patching are linked below.

:arrow: ROM Patcher Version
:arrow: NTR_CFW Patch
:arrow: Link to ongoing discussion

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
The fact that we're at the point where 3DS games can be translated is awesome. Shame that you have to be below 9.2, though. Props to the translation team for having translated that much, in such a short time.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Wow! Fastest translation ever!

If we could only get these translating speed demons to work on Ni no Kuni now.

Reactions: Chary

Verack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find this kind of redundand since the Game is going to be localized anyway.

I've answered this exact question a dozen or so times, but I'll do it again for the sake of clarity:

1.) The fan translation is guaranteed to avoid censorship. Awakening for example had some minor censorship (Tharja's posterior being covered in the NA version, and some discussion of her "boingy bits" in the EU version). Now, considering If/Fates covers "touchy" subjects such as incest, the amie minigame in general ("touching me there will make me feel weak...", "your throbbing thing looks like it'll tear"), and so on. I highly doubt the came will make it through localization without being ripped to pieces.

2.) The fan translation is faster. They are currently up to Chapter 7, and it's been what, 2 weeks? In that short time, they've translated all dialogue up to the "choose your path" part, along with every single menu/item/etc. I dare say that if the translation keeps this pace, it will be out way before the official translation.

3.) The fan translation does not have a "localized flavor" to it. That is to say, it doesn't have "funny meme" jokes inserted, and it has a far more literal 1:1 translation. Some people prefer this, so it's purely up to personal opinion.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
"Unfortunately, the patch is only available to a Nintendo 3DS that is below firmware version 9.2."

So my Nand has to be under 9.2?
You need to be able to run modified code. You can do it using Layered FS on NTR, or running modified CIA/3DS on anything that disables signature checks, be it Gateway, rxTools, Pasta, or whatever.
In order to use any of the above methods you need sysnand <= 9.2.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've answered this exact question a dozen or so times, but I'll do it again for the sake of clarity:
*Snip*
Most people don't care about this stuff. You are literally translating a game just to play is a few months faster. That's wasting time and effort on a redundant Project.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?