ROM Hack Finding offsets(like the black outlines in Pokémon) - how was it discovered?

tywald

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just wondering what the process was like to discover the offset for removing the outlines in Pokémon Sun for example.

Reason why is I want to check if it's possible to permanently disable the 3D from the game itself by changing some hex values. Using Parental Control to disable it doesn't seem to prevent it from running. I checked with the fps counter with NTR and noticed that the fps was the same in MH3U with the 3D option set to "On" in the menu even when I launched the game without 3D capablities by Parental Control; when the 3D option was set to "Off" the fps got higher, as expected, but it should've been this fps in both modes(since I launched the game without 3D).

It seems that launching a game without 3D with Parental Control only prevents it from displaying on the screen but doesn't prevent it from running within the game itself, if that makes sense(i.e the "3D code" is still running).

I would like to hack MH4U to disable its 3D capabilities, it should be possible considering games like DQ8 prevents 3D to be enabled at all. Maybe it's possible to find this in the romFS? Hm...

Last edited by tywald,

jockep

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Use something like IDA Pro to disassemble the code.bin and analyze it. Requires assembly language knowledge.

tywald

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah ok, I'll will look into it. The only assembly I know(somewhat) is the one used in MIPS.

Digged a bit in that code.bin and found this string: mMode3D.

http://i.imgur.com/VOwbzKW.png

This could be what I'm looking for. I guess I could try disassemble DQ8's code.bin and maybe I'll find the same string to compare it with.

Last edited by tywald,

DarkSynopsis

Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hmm, according to 3DBrew the SMDH has a flag for "Allow use of 3D?" but it also says "(For use with Parental Controls. An application can use the 3D affect, even when this flag isn't set)" so many changing that value to disable 3D wouldn't do the trick? might be worth investigating though, doubt many have messed with it.

Keep in mind you would want to remove the game each time you toy with SMDH, if you just reinstall over an older version it won't actually update that SMDH data since its kept in a cache.

tywald

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm, according to 3DBrew the SMDH has a flag for "Allow use of 3D?" but it also says "(For use with Parental Controls. An application can use the 3D affect, even when this flag isn't set)" so many changing that value to disable 3D wouldn't do the trick? might be worth investigating though, doubt many have messed with it.

Keep in mind you would want to remove the game each time you toy with SMDH, if you just reinstall over an older version it won't actually update that SMDH data since its kept in a cache.

If it's about Parental Controls it's probably not it since I tested launching 4U in 2D and the framerate was the same and it was still anti-aliased; in MHGen for example when you turn off the 3D from the menu it also becomes aliased so if this function of the Parental Controls was working properly then the game should become aliased as a consequence for turning off 3D.
Tested in MH3U on the character creation screen launched in 2D with Parental Controls, I can definitely still see anti-aliasing with 3D set to 'on' from the menu while it becomes aliased when set to 'off'. It should have been aliased in both cases if it was working.

I was able to get the assembly code for mMode3D, hopefully I will be able to understand it.
http://i.imgur.com/BYbi9gP.png

Last edited by tywald,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.