FF7 remake being released as a "Multi part series"

j0ffxdv9wtxoes2aqqak.png
It's been revealed that the highly anticipated Final Fantasy VII remake will be released as a "multi part series" with each offering a "unique experience"

This may come as a blow to fans if this means the whole story of VII won't be available immediately. The announcement has yet to be properly clarifled.
:arrow: Source

Last edited by chavosaur,
Reactions: Chary
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Oh, umh, sorry 'bout the buzzfeed stuff. I din't know there was all those things and whatnot. I use Noscript and Adblock, so that stuff doesn't appear to me.
Also, while what's written in that article might not be all that accurate, I believe it was written like that to give some laughs, I guess.
Still, there are some points that are still valid, like the one with Aeris and Red XII: If the gang din't show up in time, what was he gonna do?
I don't think he could stall for time indefinitely... Unless we take the Take Your Time trope in mind. :rolleyes:

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I was afraid Square Shit would milk the crap out of their pride and joy.

Looks like that's exactly what's going to happen. But I guarantee, if Enix fucks this up, it will be the last time they see a dime from me, even if on principle alone. Enough.

Emerald weapon is about to attack, press O quickly to buy Elixir with your credit card!

I swear to god Enix...I swear to god... :nayps3:

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just read a status on Facebook since this news is trending there. "A Multi-part version of the game would likely be incredibly tight with each portion and being able to fix the bullshit the original had including the easily exploitable materia system."

My opinion on this reasoning, it kinda makes sense, but I'm still skeptical because of how vague it seemed reading it. I've never played any of CyberConnect2's games so I don't know how good they are, but having them develop it would take a LOT of pressure off of Square to focus on FFXV and KHIII.

My toss on a release date? Part 1 could possibly be out by the 20th anniversary. January 31st, 2017.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just read a status on Facebook since this news is trending there. "A Multi-part version of the game would likely be incredibly tight with each portion and being able to fix the bullshit the original had including the easily exploitable materia system."

My opinion on this reasoning, it kinda makes sense, but I'm still skeptical because of how vague it seemed reading it. I've never played any of CyberConnect2's games so I don't know how good they are, but having them develop it would take a LOT of pressure off of Square to focus on FFXV and KHIII.

My toss on a release date? Part 1 could possibly be out by the 20th anniversary. January 31st, 2017.
SE seems to be pretty close to finishing FFXV. They recently said that the game's playable from beginning to end, so I would imagine it's mostly polishing from here on out.

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SE seems to be pretty close to finishing FFXV. They recently said that the game's playable from beginning to end, so I would imagine it's mostly polishing from here on out.

That was actually confirmed. I think that could be out sometime next year.

Really looking forward to FFXV as well! :)

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bound to happen when a refresh of this magnetude is taking place. I've never seen a remake be this intense, upgrade graphics, battle system, new scenes. I'm sure there's more to it than just a remake now.

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It won't be Crisis core, etc. It WILL be Final Fantasy VII episodic content (Squeenix will protest this, just as they did with Hitman early access)

The reasons for this are clearly mobile games are taking a chunk from standard gaming platforms. This takes a middle ground. Smaller chunks are cheaper (individually) and with people becomming accustomed to making additional ingame purchases, they are more likely to make additional small priced purchases (Squeenixs view)

The biggest reason is clearly price / value control. Squeenix are always crying about how quickly the price of their games plummet. They obviously feel the blame lies with the open market and their customers, as opposed their own business decisions.

They are in SERIOUS risk of alienating the remaining fan base and damaging their AAA ip beyond repair.

Final Fantasy VII has been theur golden egg for a long time now. They've avoided cashing it all this time. They clearly feel they need to exploit it now, hence the remake, but with all the changes to how they market their games, they are playing a very dangerous game.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Bound to happen when a refresh of this magnetude is taking place. I've never seen a remake be this intense, upgrade graphics, battle system, new scenes. I'm sure there's more to it than just a remake now.
Thing is, when has Square cared about how long it took them to make games? Yes they have to build this game from the ground up and no doubt it's going to be big. But they could have just waited until it was finished and release it all at once (maybe as multiple discs if the PS4 discs really can't handle the size).

Or they could, you know, not announce their games so damn early all the time. Buuuut this will be what makes them the most money so I guess it doesn't matter now.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thing is, when has Square cared about how long it took them to make games? Yes they have to build this game from the ground up and no doubt it's going to be big. But they could have just waited until it was finished and release it all at once (maybe as multiple discs if the PS4 discs really can't handle the size).

Or they could, you know, not announce their games so damn early all the time. Buuuut this will be what makes them the most money so I guess it doesn't matter now.

From a business perspective, gotta cash in when you can >: )

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From a business perspective, gotta cash in when you can >: )
Wouldn't announcing FFVII:R so early actually reduce profits? I mean, they recently released an upscaled version for the PS4, but I would imagine that a lot of people aren't going to buy it because they figure they should just wait for the remake.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

Yeah. This way, they get to patch 2 flaws the original game had at once:

- The easily exploitable materia system

-The fact that you would only pay once

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't announcing FFVII:R so early actually reduce profits? I mean, they recently released an upscaled version for the PS4, but I would imagine that a lot of people aren't going to buy it because they figure they should just wait for the remake.

Reduce what profits? It doesn't cost them nothing to upscale to 1080p, an example are blu-ray versions of old movies as well as older classics being upscaled. Costs nothing, no manpower or just a few clicks.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reduce what profits? It doesn't cost them nothing to upscale to 1080p, an example are blu-ray versions of old movies as well as older classics being upscaled. Costs nothing, no manpower or just a few clicks.
But less people would buy it if they knew that a remake was coming.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fanatics...there everywhere. If I had a PS4 I'd still get it, FF lover for life, only up to FF8 though. Afterwards I fell off of the series.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely not a remake anymore at this point, but a brand new series set in the same universe. The scale of this project has definitely grown from a simple remake. I have higher hopes now than I did before.

To be honest, the only experience I had with ff7 when it came out was on a PlayStation demo disc. The dark, dystopian story and the prerendered video were jaw-dropping at the time. I just could never get that into the game since then. I wish I had picked it up when the psx was being phased out and our local supermarket had it in the clearance section (it was a greatest hits edition, but I play games, not collect them).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Fanatics...there everywhere. If I had a PS4 I'd still get it, FF lover for life, only up to FF8 though. Afterwards I fell off of the series.
But IX is seriously awesome. I have a lot of nostalgia with that one. My brother and I bonded over it.

VartioArtel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, excluding the god darn price arguments, I want to note a few things here:

1: As much as people cry "Digital formats exist", far as I know, the Digital downloads on PSN are simply basically the same as ISOs: they're just digital versions of the exact data on the disk. The PS4 has a maximum reading ability of 50 GBs (with the most writable on a disc being 4 layered at about 128 GBs).

2: Considering 1, do you guys seriously think they can fit the entirety of a game of the original FF7's depth with the new remade graphics we've been begging for (oh don't act like we haven't. If we weren't people would be fine with the mods out there that completely change out the textures in FF7 PC vers). Consider that in the original game we're dealing with 2.5D platforms ala Super Mario RPG, sometimes with very detailed backgrounds or even foregrounds (which overlap and sometimes even are 3D themselves! MORE 3D fuckery) they had to cut a LOT of corners to make it look good.

Now we're dealing with full 3D areas. That means all the walls, the ceiling, the floor, everything. This adds a LOT of graphical details, and considering what we've seen, all this detail's gonna be littered and manually crafted. If they're keeping it anywhere as detailed as Midgar, we'll be looking at a large variety of terrains rather than the hallways going towards North Corel after leaving Costa Del Sol.

3: Now here's the big one: DO NOT FORGET that these area graphics got to look good enough considering they're literally making character models on tier with Advent Children's (they've stated this before). Basically you're playing in a game engine, that's letting you play in advent children graphics. This has got to be an absurd amount of data itself.

4: Now consider this: the additions they're giving are of such scale they're adding a huge area to how much of Midgard you could explore. Before off the top of my head, you could visit 2 lower sections of the plates (Aerith's home plate and the 7th Heaven's plate), and 2 upper sections (initial bombing, 2nd bombing) excluding the central block during 7. These areas are seemingly (presumably) entirely scaled to fit with the beginning scenes of how small that train Cloud and AVALANCHE hitched was in Midgar. Again, that's a HUGE AMOUNT OF DATA.

Midgar alone would probably take up a good 5-10 gigs without even talking about the rest of the game world (Junon I look at you... that's gonna be another huge datasink I guarantee) were we not talking about all the voice acting, new areas, the potential day/night cycle while on the upper plates, sound files, etc etc, and the sort.

If you guys think that they're seriously going to fit the entirety of FF7, especially with modern graphics for a game into the equivalent of 1 game/Disc and have it done anytime soon, you guys better wait for the PS420.

Edit: For humor I checked, seems most torrents put Advent Children at 6.5 GBs. Hehe. This is just using 3-D models not being actively generated for viewing but shown via 2D. They don't even need to complete the full 3D models and their textures knowing what they'd show.

Last edited by VartioArtel,

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to note a few things here:
Honestly, I've recently come to accept a multi-episode FF7:R, assuming each episode has a good chunk of content, and is price reasonably for the aforementioned amount of content. However, since I love to play the devil's advocate...
If you guys think that they're seriously going to fit the entirety of FF7, especially with modern graphics for a game into the equivalent of 1 game/Disc and have it done anytime soon
No one's complaining about the possibility of FF7:R using multiple discs, especially since the original already did... What people are complaining about is the fact that the game is being split up into an unknown amount of parts each containing an unknown amount of content/playtime being spread out over an unknown amount of time with an unknown cost. Each of those unknowns can vary wildly, and people are hesitant to get excited about something when they don't know the full details. I promise you, the amount of outrage will go down with each appropriately addressed unknown.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"the entirety of a game of the original FF7's depth"
I am curious now, just how big is FF7. We have seen attempts to measure game sizes before ( http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/19/video-game-world-size-compared/ being an older example) but I now have to figure out how to sort this.
It would doubtless be some combination of overworld and towns/caves, though I might wish to consider effective density as well (lest something like Elite beat it all)

For the time it was enormous but how it stacks up today I am not sure.

"everything on a par with advent children".
Is that such a feat or thing to be proud of in 2016?

Wow that fog, never noticed that when it played but then again I think I did see it in mess o squares 700 meg xvid.

Picking a game of what I imagine will be not incomparable budget from 2015

Now the themes would be a bit more varied than industrial revolution London, however many a Bethesda game manages variation on a par with that.

I will have to retire and consider this all further but I suspect the result will be "for the time, however time has moved on".

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand the decision to make it episodic from a business standpoint, but that combined with turning FF7 into an action game really rub me the wrong way. the action part I could get over but I think it's safe to assume that SE will cut the original FF7 story up into a million pieces, charge way too fucking much for each part, load it up with DLC scams and basically be as greedy as they can because they know people will buy this anyway due to nostalgia. I'm pessimistic as fuck I know but I couldn't care less about beautiful graphics if the original game gets hacked up into little pieces and ends up costing hundreds of $ when it's all said and done. I'll stick to the original unless SE pleasantly surprises me, but we all need to keep in mind that this is Square-Enix, NOT Squaresoft.

Maybe if like 3 years after all parts have been released a full compilation(you know, a complete game) is released I'll give it a go, but I refuse to buy an incomplete game, especially since I already own the original.

Last edited by Hungry Friend,

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally I can't wait, I remember ffvii coming out and just blowing my mind and I still love it till this day, even if the remake doesn't live up to expectations that original game is going nowhere and neither are my memories of that time.

That being said I understand people being miffed at the announcement however is this definitely episodic in a telltale way? I mean could this not end up episodic in a ffxiii or mass effect way.
Do Japanese games come episodic? What are some examples we could base our predictions on?

To be honest no remake will ever come close ffvii was mind-blowing because of many reason's, the psx was still very new to most of us, the pre-rendered style was and is still beautiful because it carries the emotion of art, the cg cutscenes where on a whole new level, the size allowed a truly epic story to be told and the audience where at that golden age of young adulthood we all hold so dear, the time and place had as much to do with it's success as the game itself.

These days we are spoilt with massive gorgeous epic games, unfortunately this will probably just be a drop in the ocean.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup