Hacking FF 5 EZ flash 4 NOR corruption issue

ishygdaft

A mystery wrapped in an enigma
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had this weird issue where Final Fantasy 5 Advance will freeze, sometime the graphics get corrupted too and I have to power cycle the system.
I've played a few games to completion on the EZ flash 4 without this issue.
I've cleared NOR and re-flashed the game but after a bit the issue happens again.
Anyone experience this with this game or another?

Last edited by ishygdaft,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When you say you played other games do you mean on the NOR? If you have played them otherwise then it might be that the NOR is broken but the rest works OK.

Do you ever have read issues with the SD card? Doubly so if you are using a micro to miniSD adapter. Related to the above flashing the NOR takes several minutes, flashing the PSRAM takes no time really so it might have seen an error at some point when flashing the NOR.

What happens if you play the game from PSRAM?

What happens if you flash a small game to the NOR and then flash FF5 to the NOR and launch. Might be a corrupt spot in the NOR.

Also do you see the Nintendo logo again after selecting FF5 from the NOR? It might be that if it does not then you have launched with a soft reset and though most will fail before it even starts it could be that it takes a while.

Are you using any hacks on FF5 (there are several nice ones http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hac...gory=&perpage=20&title=&author=&hacksearch=Go )?

ishygdaft

A mystery wrapped in an enigma
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The games I plan to play to completion I flash to NOR, the corruption issue doesn't happen when I run it from PSRAM.

I have a 2015 model of the EZ flash so no mini SD here.

The micro SD hasn't suffered any read issues I can think of, always works.

I also have a semi-reboot patch (shows the gba logo every time I play a new game) because I've heard it can keep problems from happening.

It might just be a bad spot in the NOR memory, I'll try formatting it, writing a large game, formatting NOR again, and flashing FF 5 back again to see if that fixes the problem.

Oh, and no hacks, just the vanilla rom.

Also thanks for replying, I appreciate the help.

Last edited by ishygdaft,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)