Hacking FE100 Savefile unpacker/packer

MarkARC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello, I am having a problem using FE100 v2b.

I am using in on the Virtual Console game Ogre battle.

I got my keys.txt file no problem.

I used that keys.txt and the VC save of ogre battle in the key grabber to get all my info and it worked.

I then extracted the data.bin file and that worked.

Here is the directory structure it made:
000100014a435445------------nodata----------dummy
-------------###icon0###.ppm
-------------###icon1###.ppm
-------------###icon2###.ppm
--------------###icon3###.ppm
--------------###icon4###.ppm
--------------###icon5###.ppm
--------------###icon6###.ppm
--------------###icon7###.ppm
--------------###title###.ppm
--------------savedata.bin

I edit the changed I want in savedata.bin and then packed the savefile and copied it back to my wii and the game doesn't load. I also noticed that the new data.bin file is 17KB big where the original data.bin file was 410KB. I thought there was a problem with the nodata/dummy file, so I moved the file out of the nodata folder and deleted that folder. I then packed the savefile and the data.bin file was 411 KB. I copied it to the WII and the game loaded, but would not let me load the file.

I think it has something to do nodata/dummy file, but i have no idea how to get this to work. Can anybody help me?

Thanks!

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MarkARC said:
Hello, I am having a problem using FE100 v2b.

I am using in on the Virtual Console game Ogre battle.

I got my keys.txt file no problem.

I used that keys.txt and the VC save of ogre battle in the key grabber to get all my info and it worked.

I then extracted the data.bin file and that worked.

Here is the directory structure it made:
000100014a435445------------nodata----------dummy
-------------###icon0###.ppm
-------------###icon1###.ppm
-------------###icon2###.ppm
--------------###icon3###.ppm
--------------###icon4###.ppm
--------------###icon5###.ppm
--------------###icon6###.ppm
--------------###icon7###.ppm
--------------###title###.ppm
--------------savedata.bin

I edit the changed I want in savedata.bin and then packed the savefile and copied it back to my wii and the game doesn't load. I also noticed that the new data.bin file is 17KB big where the original data.bin file was 410KB. I thought there was a problem with the nodata/dummy file, so I moved the file out of the nodata folder and deleted that folder. I then packed the savefile and the data.bin file was 411 KB. I copied it to the WII and the game loaded, but would not let me load the file.

I think it has something to do nodata/dummy file, but i have no idea how to get this to work. Can anybody help me?

Thanks!

Having the same problem; it seems like it doesn't handle the nocopy directory properly.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Does this let you extract sram save data (in raw .sav format) from VC games so that you can use them with other emulators?

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiCrazy said:
@nl255 : Find my c64 save injection video on youtube, it works at least for c64...

The question is how to extract the sram save data from the snapshot (save state). I am refering to nes, snes, n64, genesis, and other console games btw, where the game carts had a small amount of memory for saving. I assume you would need to find the offset where the sram save data is stored and then extract the 8k (or whatever) of data following that address.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
nl255 said:
WiiCrazy said:
@nl255 : Find my c64 save injection video on youtube, it works at least for c64...

The question is how to extract the sram save data from the snapshot (save state). I am refering to nes, snes, n64, genesis, and other console games btw, where the game carts had a small amount of memory for saving. I assume you would need to find the offset where the sram save data is stored and then extract the 8k (or whatever) of data following that address.

Well yeah, possibly this can't be used. but that depends on how emulator is programmed. Certainly it won't work for the latest systems like n64 and snes... but for the others programmers may have chosen to dump the rom as well as ram...

Another interesting point about all this stuff is, hosting C64 VC games is illegal, dunno if there are any though...

ps: examined the saves of a few systems (genesis, nes, turbografx) and can say that they all doesn't have the rom in the save...

ps2: by the way just got your question now correctly... indeed you can find and replace the sram... for nes games there is a file called savework.bin in the nocopy directory in the unpacked contents of the data.bin... file is 0x2240 bytes... which is 0x240 bytes more of an nes sram...

ps3: dragon warrior game (if it exists - otherwise may be injected into another game) could be used to understand how to do this, there is documentation as well as programs regarding that game : http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/file/563408/47175

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
@WiiCrazy : Found a simpler way for NES games, just take savedata.bin and remove the first 64 bytes (dd if=savedata.bin of=Zelda_1.sav bs=1 count=64). I haven't tried it the other way (might be a checksum in the header) or with other games yet.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
nl255 said:
@WiiCrazy : Found a simpler way for NES games, just take savedata.bin and remove the first 64 bytes (dd if=savedata.bin of=Zelda_1.sav bs=1 count=64). I haven't tried it the other way (might be a checksum in the header) or with other games yet.

Well mine was just assumption, never dealed with the nes stuff actually...

What's the main purpose here?

moving saves to vc from emu or from emu to vc?

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiCrazy said:
nl255 said:

Well mine was just assumption, never dealed with the nes stuff actually...

What's the main purpose here?

moving saves to vc from emu or from emu to vc?

Yes, both. Save extraction works, but save injection does not. Trying to add the header from savedata.bin (first 64 bytes) to my save file doesn't work at all. Not only that, but editing savework.bin is useless because the nocopy hack for 4.0 does not work with save files that have a nocopy folder (the stuff in the nocopy folder can't be copied back). If the problem with the checksum in the header could be solved, savedata.bin would be more useful to edit than savework.bin as savedata.bin is just the sram save plus a header.

Wack0

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, I am reporting a bug.

Unpacking savefiles works like a charm, great!

But I modify the save, go to pack it .. and i get the error report window when I click pack. I have the latest versions of everything, and libeay32.dll is in the folder.

~Wack0

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Wack0 said:
Hey, I am reporting a bug.

Unpacking savefiles works like a charm, great!

But I modify the save, go to pack it .. and i get the error report window when I click pack. I have the latest versions of everything, and libeay32.dll is in the folder.

~Wack0

Did you select the folder that you unpacked the save? (the folder that has title id in it)

Wack0

Trophies
XP
Country
..the error is just the windows crash screen with error report stuff .. and yes i did get the keys using keygrabber

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: oh shit where??? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: