Favourite Book?

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I hardly read now... but sometimes when I'm bored I'll just pick up my lil' bro's twilight and read
tongue.gif

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hm, hard question.. I have several favorite books.
Flash, Replay, A Bridge of Years, Der Funke des Chronos (German book about time travelling and the big fire of Hamburg), The Gone-Away World and what I'm currently reading (and already loving) Game of Thrones.
All, except GoT, in German. (yes, I love time travel stories)

smile72

NewsBot
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't read many books nowadays but I do read a lot of manga, and I play a lot of text heavy RPG's. But my favorite book would be a three way tie between The Hours - Michael Cummingham, The Color Purple - Alice Walker, and Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hmmm... I'm a self-proclaimed bibliophile, so I've read quite a lot, picking a favorite is near-impossible. Right now, i'd say it's probably On Writing by my favorite author Stephen King. Just a refreshing take on the whole writing thing. Through the years, the books that I really liked would have to include:

Harry Potter and the Prizoner of Azkaban - The bookstore inexplicably had no copies of Sorcerer's Stone nor Chamber of Secrets back then, so this was the first one I read. Actually started me on the whole reading bit. I've started devouring books since then XD
Let The Right One In - Just epic. The ending in particular, just so affecting considering the circumstances the characters were in.
The Long Walk - King wrote this under his pseudonym, and is quite different from his other stories/novels. The vision, and the insight in the story is just different from your typical "magalomaniacal government" story.
Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption - Yep, this was a story before it was a movie, also written by King. Technically, it came as part of a four-story collection in Different Seasons. It's just a good story built on the simple premise of hope.
IT - One of the most comprehensive out-and-out horror stories written by King. I made the mistake of reading this while in a hospital, I advise you not make the same error. Good news is, I didn't develop coulrophobia from it (get the pun/wordplay?).
Timeline - Ask any fans of the late Crichton, and by default you'll prob get Jurassic Park and The New World as their favorite book. Timeline is a lesser-known story, also a technothriller based on the idea of time-travel via somethings about quantum wafers and such which goes wrong (don't they always?).

I've probably forgotten some books I've read that deserve to be on my list... Hmmm...

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont know i read only when im bored but that was when i went to school during lectures(i may have been reading but i was still paying attention) and that was from harry potter series to a series of unfortunate events, to the twilight saga.

maybe i should pick some of my old books up for a reread
unsure.gif

Shinigami357

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
wasim said:
Archie comics

and famous five !

Hm, hadn't thought of that... Purists almost always abhor comic books, even graphic novels for reasons unknown to me, but I guess they should count.

My favorites are Kingdom Come, Batman: The Killing Joke and of course, Kick Ass.

EDIT: Hadn't gotten around to reading Watchmen... Is it as good as the hype says it is?

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dont mind local troll Zorua.

My favorite book is called Saint by Ted DeKker. Its about an assassain who doesnt know who he is and is trying to remember while trying to do his job.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
IT - Probably one of the best Stephen King books. It's so... exact, so comprehensive, and so fucking thick that it also made my eyes bleed out. But it was an AMAZING book, nonetheless.

The Shining - Another masterpiece by King. The message that it was trying to employ was unique since it wasn't so much supernatural but it was human, just in a supernatural setting. The ending just gets me every time.

When Will Jesus Bring The Porkchops - A brilliant comedy book, I don't think I've ever laughed this hard at a book in my whole life. I've read all of the George Carlin books but this one just takes the cake.

Great Expectations - Personally my favorite Dickens Novel, I find the plot in this one connects to me the most out of all the novels. Bummer about the *mediocre* movie though.

Les Miserables - Read this on a day where there was no power. I must say, although this gave me a huge headache due to both the blistering heat and the confusing use of French, the plot is GENIUS.

A Series of Unfortunate Events Series - Daniel Handler is a great storyteller. Somehow making the misery and loss of all hope seem funny and in a sort of sarcastic way in a children's book was.. just amazing. Read the entire series and loved every single one of them.

The Satanic Bible - If any person of authority found out I was reading an e-book of The Satanic Bible, they would probably kill me. That being said, I think that the book had some shining moments that described human nature and psychology pretty well. I didn't bother to read the part about rituals, but the essays from The Book of Lucifer were very good.

Bible - Now for the counterpart. While I may not believe in most of the Bible, I consider it a great work of literature. The symbolism used and the expression of the message it was trying to convey was excellent. I may not agree with the messages, but the way they told it was really good.

Harry Potter series - This was basically my childhood. It had it's ups and downs, but overall the story was told with such wonder and excitement. J.K. Rowling certainly cast her spell on me, and she did so too for a lot of people.

Too much? Well all of these are my faves... it's gonna be difficult picking one in particular.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Now i remember last year! Well, it's quite kiddie. I really enjoyed the diary of a wimpy kid series (before the movie came out). Although it costs me a hefty S$23.95 per book, it was worth the read, especially when i'm super vexed
laugh.gif

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingdomBlade said:
IT - Probably one of the best Stephen King books. It's so... exact, so comprehensive, and so fucking thick that it also made my eyes bleed out. But it was an AMAZING book, nonetheless.

The Shining - Another masterpiece by King. The message that it was trying to employ was unique since it wasn't so much supernatural but it was human, just in a supernatural setting. The ending just gets me every time.

When Will Jesus Bring The Porkchops - A brilliant comedy book, I don't think I've ever laughed this hard at a book in my whole life. I've read all of the George Carlin books but this one just takes the cake.

Great Expectations - Personally my favorite Dickens Novel, I find the plot in this one connects to me the most out of all the novels. Bummer about the *mediocre* movie though.

Les Miserables - Read this on a day where there was no power. I must say, although this gave me a huge headache due to both the blistering heat and the confusing use of French, the plot is GENIUS.

A Series of Unfortunate Events Series - Daniel Handler is a great storyteller. Somehow making the misery and loss of all hope seem funny and in a sort of sarcastic way in a children's book was.. just amazing. Read the entire series and loved every single one of them.

The Satanic Bible - If any person of authority found out I was reading an e-book of The Satanic Bible, they would probably kill me. That being said, I think that the book had some shining moments that described human nature and psychology pretty well. I didn't bother to read the part about rituals, but the essays from The Book of Lucifer were very good.

Bible - Now for the counterpart. While I may not believe in most of the Bible, I consider it a great work of literature. The symbolism used and the expression of the message it was trying to convey was excellent. I may not agree with the messages, but the way they told it was really good.

Harry Potter series - This was basically my childhood. It had it's ups and downs, but overall the story was told with such wonder and excitement. J.K. Rowling certainly cast her spell on me, and she did so too for a lot of people.

Too much? Well all of these are my faves... it's gonna be difficult picking one in particular.

ur awesome for liking those two series im trying to get all the A Series of Unfortunate Events to reread at a thrift store they usually have at least one of the books i got 5 of them one time for 50 cents a piece. but the problem is i only go there once a month. maybe i'll consider amazon or ebay.

Rogue_Ninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hands down my favorite book series is The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny. Its 10 books but you can usually find them all in one at the book stores.

QUOTE said:
The Amber stories take place in two, true worlds: Amber, and the Courts of Chaos. Other worlds, including our Earth, are but "shadows" of the tension between the two true worlds. The Courts of Chaos is situated in Shadow at the very edge of Chaos itself. Royals of Amber who have negotiated the Pattern, can travel freely through the shadows. By shifting between shadows, one can appear to alter reality by choosing which elements of which shadows to keep, and which to move between.

Amber wiki

Leo Cantus

So zeta slow!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's hard to choose a single favourite book, but my favourite series is the "Chaos Walking" trilogy by Patrick Ness. It consists of three books and they're all awesome. If you haven't read them, you should definitely check them out. I also like the Cherub series, I presume people have heard of it as it's pretty popular.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Though I love so many books, my favorite would likely be Contact by Carl Sagan.
some other works that are very much worth reading (in no particular order) :
The Sword of Truth (series) by Terry Goodkind
The Nightrunner Saga - Lynn Flewelling
The Dark Tower (series) - Steve King (I also recommend some of King's other books, such as IT, Desperation, Insomnia, The Stand; but none so highly as this series)
Otherland (series) - Tad Williams
Women of the Otherworld (series) - Kelley Armstrong

There are many more, but these are off the top of my head. Will add others when I return.
(yes I'm a big fan of trilogies, sagas, and parentheses)

Shinigami357

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
*nudges Vulpes*

Nothing (no matter how relevant) should ever be parenthesized. LOL. Forgot where I read that...

Also, it's Stephen... [rabid fanboy, sorry, couldn't hold it in]

Also, to add to my earlier list...

The Hunger Games - Loved it, and the series overall, but really, it's the first one, where everything is just clear and not obscured by propaganda that really grew on me.

Also, couldn't see why the author killed off Prim in The Mockingjay. I mean, she was the entire reason Katniss ever even participated in the Hunger Games in the first place. (perhaps to mock her?)

Where the Red Fern grows - If this was a true story, Hachiko would pale in comparison.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i have that stupid connector on my gpu luckily it's only a 300w gpu so i should(?) be fine since...