Hardware Faulty 3DS

lucario94

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yesterday I was trying to fix faulty 3DS XL though it didn't go as well as I have planned. The problem is that when I turn on 3DS XL blue power light comes in and within few seconds 3DS powers off with a pop sound. Also if I press power button of 3DS and instantly close it blue light starts flashing, so I guess 3DS goes in to sleep mode. Anyway as I have seen people around the net having similar problem and reporting that it's top screen ribbons I've tried disconnecting them and reconnecting with no avail, same problem persisted, actually I've even tried unplugging all of the ribbons connected to the motherboard and putting them back in but no, same problem. Then I've noticed something strange on the motherboard and I was wondering if 3DS is damage by some sort of liquid. ABXY buttons is what makes me wonder. I've added an image of the motherboard. Any thoughts? Anyway to fix this?

6ivhw3.png

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That certainly does not seem normal. Try cleaning the pads with some rubbing alcohol maybe?
It looked like something has been spilled on the 3DS around the button area which seeped into the 3DS.
As long as there are no traces of spillage elsewhere on the board I don't see how that could have caused this issue though.

Reactions: lucario94

lucario94

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe this might help:

^_^

It might be the problem that your board is fried, since there is coffee? on the buttons. But give this a try!

Yeah I've tried that already multiple times didn't seem to work and now I'm lost if it's motherboard or screen ribbon.

Here is how ribbon looks:

533ek6.png

Edit: Wait or is the middle ribbon camera's connection? :lol:
Edit2: Is 3DS camera module with flex cable compatible with XL version of 3DS?

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a regular 3DS with the same problem. I tried a known good upper LCD and camera assembly and disconnected/reconnected them both at least twenty times or more with no luck. I ended up giving up and just buying a console with smashed up housing and swapping motherboards. There was something wrong with the original board, I guess.

Definitely try cleaning with high percentage rubbing alcohol though if you haven't already. You can use a clean, soft toothbrush on the board and around the connector. Clean the ribbon cable with a tissue or cloth.

Reactions: lucario94

rip-it-up

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You have a tear in either the ribbon cable for the top screen or for the speakers, The camera ribbon cable dosent make the 3ds short if not connected.
Think your mb is fine as it will stay on if the cable is not under tension.
Most likely its the speaker flex which has the tear in it.

All the cable in the xl are longer than that on a standard 3ds

Looking At you pic of abxy it does appear that you have had some form of liquid damage, but I dont think its why your 3ds is doing this.
Remove the contact pad of abxy and clean underneath they sticky tape. If you dont do it then sooner rather than later it will appear that buttons are always being pressed

lucario94

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You have a tear in either the ribbon cable for the top screen or for the speakers, The camera ribbon cable dosent make the 3ds short if not connected.
Think your mb is fine as it will stay on if the cable is not under tension.
Most likely its the speaker flex which has the tear in it.

All the cable in the xl are longer than that on a standard 3ds

Looking At you pic of abxy it does appear that you have had some form of liquid damage, but I dont think its why your 3ds is doing this.
Remove the contact pad of abxy and clean underneath they sticky tape. If you dont do it then sooner rather than later it will appear that buttons are always being pressed

If it was bad speaker flex, wouldn't there be no sound when I turn 3DS on? I'm asking because I have tried putting an ear close to the speaker while turning 3DS on and was able to hear sound from it. (Edit: Examined it from closer, yeah it has a tear)

And let's imagine that I have a working unit of 3DS out of the box, if I disassemble it and disconnect camera ribbon would 3DS still turn on fully? If yes, what are other parts of 3DS that can be disconnected and 3DS would still go on, that really would help with the testing as I always put back all the ribbons (R, L shoulder buttons, Touch screen digitizer, Touch screen, Volume slide, Analog stick, WIFI module, IR module, Microphone). From what I understand top screen and speakers flex are must.

Edit2: By the way even though cables for 3DS are shorter than 3DS XL could I at least use standard 3DS flex cables for testing cause they're cheap while XL flexes are rare and expensive?

lucario94

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So we've tried soldering the broken speakers flex and now when we try to turn 3DS on not only the bottom screen flashes but the top one too before turning off with the pop sound. Now the only visibly broken part is camera's flex, is it really not necessary to turn 3DS on?

Edit: With a bit of playing around with it and powering it on constantly I actually managed to get into sleep mode for few seconds AND sometimes even into 3DS main menu for a second or less.

twig123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are interested, below are my experiences (I just got into trying to repair 3DSs):

System #1 - Orange Light (No signs of other life)
Fix: N/A - System DoA? Seems mobo had liquid damage as stickers were bright Pink instead of white (Parted out system)
(I looked all over and can't find any info on how to fix the Orange light issue from liquid damage)

System #2 - Blue light & pops off (no flash on top screen)
Fix: The top LCD was bad, replaced with a working one from system #1

System #3 - Blue light & pops off (both screens flash)
Fix: The speaker cable had a fracture/tear, replaced speaker cable

System #4 - Solid Blue light (system stays on with solid blue light, no pop)
Fix: Lower LCD was bad, Replaced lower LCD from System #1

System #5 - Blue light & pops off (both screens flash)
Fix: N/A - Tested mobo with known working screens from System #3, still pops and turns off.
Appears may be partial liquid damage? Sticker on the Battery connector is bright pink, but others are white.
It seems like the system is still working since the blue light comes on and I don't see any signs of corrosion... but can't for the life of me get it to boot.

I don't see any information like a flowchart or something to help diagnose 3DS issues. Maybe if I continue to keep attempting 3DS repairs I may decide to start documenting info to compile into a flowchart or something. If anyone has any advise, my System# 5 device seems to have the same issue that you are having...

lucario94

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you are interested, below are my experiences (I just got into trying to repair 3DSs):

Fix: N/A - System DoA? Seems mobo had liquid damage as stickers were bright Pink instead of white (Parted out system)
(I looked all over and can't find any info on how to fix the Orange light issue from liquid damage)

Fix: N/A - Tested mobo with known working screens from System #3, still pops and turns off.
Appears may be partial liquid damage? Sticker on the Battery connector is bright pink, but others are white.
It seems like the system is still working since the blue light comes on and I don't see any signs of corrosion... but can't for the life of me get it to boot.

I don't see any information like a flowchart or something to help diagnose 3DS issues. Maybe if I continue to keep attempting 3DS repairs I may decide to start documenting info to compile into a flowchart or something. If anyone has any advise, my System# 5 device seems to have the same issue that you are having...

Is it possible to go into the sleep mode and even 3DS menu for a second or so with your System #5 before it shuts down abruptly? Try powering that 3DS on then closing instantly then open it and close it again instantly, you maybe able to turn on/off wifi on the system also opening it again may take you to eshop or 3DS music or something like that icon before powering off, I've found that interesting and still think that it's problem with speaker flex rather than motherboard but I'll see after I receive the flex.

twig123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to go into the sleep mode and even 3DS menu for a second or so with your System #5 before it shuts down abruptly? Try powering that 3DS on then closing instantly then open it and close it again instantly, you maybe able to turn on/off wifi on the system also opening it again may take you to eshop or 3DS music or something like that icon before powering off, I've found that interesting and still think that it's problem with speaker flex rather than motherboard but I'll see after I receive the flex.
I swapped this motherboard into a known working unit, so I know for sure the screens/cables are fine.
I'll try your suggestion with trying sleep mode when I get home to see if that results in anything, if not I may need to try cleaning contacts again.

For your 3DS, you said you are able to see the system menu for a brief moment... try putting the screen in different positions (instead of wide open) before turning the unit on. If it works when the screen isn't open all the way, you likely have a fracture in one of the ribbon cables (this was the issue with my System #3, would work when partially open but popped when fully open).

lucario94

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I swapped this motherboard into a known working unit, so I know for sure the screens/cables are fine.
I'll try your suggestion with trying sleep mode when I get home to see if that results in anything, if not I may need to try cleaning contacts again.

For your 3DS, you said you are able to see the system menu for a brief moment... try putting the screen in different positions (instead of wide open) before turning the unit on. If it works when the screen isn't open all the way, you likely have a fracture in one of the ribbon cables (this was the issue with my System #3, would work when partially open but popped when fully open).
I have tried that already, sadly it didn't work. By the way, maybe you know if camera flex must be connected to turn 3DS fully on?(someone before said that it doesn't make 3DS short but would be nice to double check, because I only have camera's flex not connected)

twig123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have tried that already, sadly it didn't work. By the way, maybe you know if camera flex must be connected to turn 3DS fully on?(someone before said that it doesn't make 3DS short but would be nice to double check, because I only have camera's flex not connected)
The system should still power on without the camera, so that can be eliminated from your testing.

I also tested your suggestion of Sleep Mode on my trouble 3DS. I am able to get it to go into Sleep Mode, however, as soon as I open the lid it pops and shuts off :-\

rip-it-up

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

There is a way for the 3ds to boot if the top screen is disconnected, I have done it, and I think it involves leaving the two cable contacts disconnected for the parallax barrier (beneath top screen) on the speaker flex. But connecting the speaker flex to the main board.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr