Hardware Fastest external drive that makes sense without spending a lot?

JunkieXL69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There isn't a sticky on this where people recommend the best drives out there. A bit confused why that is?
Anywho...which of these is the fastest and makes the most sense without wasting money?

- SSD? Does a USB 2.0 bottleneck exist making this a waste to invest in?

- HDD? 7200 spin...10,000 spin...15,000 spin? Does it matter? (How are the load times?)

- External SDXC card reader? class 10 card of course...(is there higher?)

Thanks.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
USB 2.0 has a overall throughput of ~35-40MB/s
the Wii U (in Wii U or WiiMode) cannot even read or write to it that fast.

using a SSD more expensive for higher capacity
uses less power, can be used without a Y cable if a 2.5in. no moving parts.

using a HDD not really expensive for a large capacity drive. will most likely need a Y cable if its a 2.5in. has moving parts

using a card reader:slower and expensive for larger capacity ones. Class 10 is only ~10MB/s

using a USB FlashDrive: Price in the middle of SSD and HDD. they are usually faster then SD cards. ~15-35MB/s depending on brand of FlashDrive used and its rated speed. More expensive then HDD for larger capacity.
-------------------------------------------------------
If you want the Wii U to be as portable as ever, get a FlashDrive, most are really small, and do not need more then 1 USB port. a good size one to get would be anywhere from 32 to 64GB , 64 if you plan to buy all games downloadable when possible vs a disk.

If you want the cheapest price per GB ratio, get a HDD, a 2.5in HDD is more portable then a 3.5in as you can use a Y cable vs a dedicated AC adapter. you can get a 500GB for around 60-80$, which is around what a 64GB flashdrive costs.

If you want a good compromise between the portability of a FlashDrive and the size of a HDD, get a SSD. ~120-140$ for a 128GB and ~200-240$ for a 256GB.

-------------------------------------------------
I use a 250GB 5400RPM usb 2.5in hdd for mine. i use a Y cable to make sure it has enough power to run right.

for RPM's, A 5400RPM is good
7200 seems unnecessary for what the Wii U will use it for. and 10000 is downright overkill.
the Wii U will not noticeably benefit from faster RPM drives.

I use a 640GB 5400RPM in my Xbox360 (i have a jtag so is attached to it the same way a Microsoft Drive would, SATA)
load times are not a issue at all, using a 7200RPM may make a game load a second faster or 2 maybe but that's not enough to justify getting anything faster.

Neversoft

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not sure what the score is with regard to using SSD drives but Nintendo specifically recommends against using flash drives due to their unreliability under heavy read/write conditions (especially writing).

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure what the score is with regard to using SSD drives but Nintendo specifically recommends against using flash drives due to their unreliability under heavy read/write conditions (especially writing).

I doubt the Wii U is reading and writing heavily enough to flash drives, or SSD's even to make them unreliable for use on a Wii U. the Wii U is not using a USB drive for SWAP space or anything like that. it reads data from it when you play a game and saves stuff to it when you download a new game or copy stuff to it,which is not constantly. people have been using USB flash drives for USB loaders on the Wii just fine for years, pretty much all read and little to no write. people have used USB flash drives on the 360 for years now also with no reliability problems and you can save your profile, saves, XBLA, DLC, and even NXE installs to it and run NXE and XBLA directly off of it without needing to copy it back to the 360 first.

JunkieXL69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What kind of file system is the Wii U? It can't be FAT32. To store files larger than 4GB you need NTFS. And NTFS is notorious for constantly reading/writing to the drive. If Nintendo recommends against it, then that would make sense considering the type of file system needed.

Assassin's Creed 3 was a 17GB download off their eshop. I'd assume it is one giant WAD file.

But anywho, thanks for the numbers. I guess I will be going with an HDD. Is the Y-Cable because most 2.5" drives don't come with their own power supply? That's weak Nintendo.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What kind of file system is the Wii U? It can't be FAT32. To store files larger than 4GB you need NTFS. And NTFS is notorious for constantly reading/writing to the drive. If Nintendo recommends against it, then that would make sense considering the type of file system needed.

Assassin's Creed 3 was a 17GB download off their eshop. I'd assume it is one giant WAD file.

But anywho, thanks for the numbers. I guess I will be going with an HDD. Is the Y-Cable because most 2.5" drives don't come with their own power supply? That's weak Nintendo.

The Wii U uses its own proprietary filesystem, and it seems even its own Partition Table, the Partition Table is why the Wii U needs to format the whole drive and not just a partition.
Both are encrypted also. there would be no FAT/NTFS/HFS+/EXFAT/etc... limitations as it uses its own custom Filesystem.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

they both should work, BUT get the eForCity one.
I dislike HDE,
i got a USB 3DS "charge cable" from them and it was a terrible POS.
It would charge my 3DS only while in sleep mode. if you even dare to play it, the screen will flicker bright and dim rapidly. (from the 3ds rapidly switching between battery and AC Adapter mode)
I ended up getting the GameStop brand multi USB cable that has 3 ends on it (GBASP,NDSL,3DS) and it works with all 3 even when i am playing them.
I ended up giving the HDE one to a friend for free to charge his 3DS in sleep mode at night.

So yeah, both cables should work, but get the eForCity one, its got 10 reviews (@4.5 Star) vs the HDE has 1 review (@ 5 Star)

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got myself the:

Toshiba 1TB Canvio Desk Desktop External Hard Drive (Black/Black) (HDWC110XK3J1)
Sold by Amazon.com LLC

for $64 bucks and it works great. I can't tell the difference weather loading from the system or the hard drive. Too bad you can only use it on one system at a time though since Nintendo has their own HD format. It is extremely quiet can barely tell if it is even on, have to look at the blue light when accessing it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hello @realtimesave.