Fast FTP VPK Installing using SoftAccessPoint

For users that have ample storage on their Memory card, the usual quick method of installing is via renaming .VPK file to .MP4, then transferring over and renaming it back to .VPK and installing.. The drawback? Takes absolutely ages to unzip this using the Vita's CPU.

The other nice alternative which works well for Vita's with small size memory cards (4-8gb) is to use the great Vita Organiser tool that sends the main executable first, followed by the data files. This has the advantage of not occupying the full size of the .VPK file in the memory stick. The issue however is very slow transfer.

My alternative and setup however is as follows

PC connected to the internet via Ethernet connection.
TPLink 300mbps Wireless N PCI Adapter

Using the ethernet connection, i get the maximum speed from the connection.

This TPLink device also has the possibility of becoming a soft access point. Once this is setup, you can then use the Vita to connect to this access point.

As the router is all the way across the other side, transfer speeds via wireless are slow. However having the soft access point right next to the vita (and the PC in itself using a direct Ethernet connection, is dramatically faster. (A typical 1.5gb game and be transferred over and installed in 10 minutes.)

If you find that your wireless connection is very slow, you can try the above method and see if it makes any difference.

thealgorithm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So... I must have router connected with PC via cable, right? it's my case, but speeds are average.

Yes. Router connected directly to PC (or via powerline adapters) and then the wireless card on the PC behaves as a soft access point. All this is useful for is bringing the wifi signal as close to the Vita as possible. It can be useful for situations where the router is tucked away in a distance of several rooms.

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Yes. Router connected directly to PC (or via powerline adapters) and then the wireless card on the PC behaves as a soft access point. All this is useful for is bringing the wifi signal as close to the Vita as possible. It can be useful for situations where the router is tucked away in a distance of several rooms.
Oh, now I see. Too bad and don't have wifi on my PC. No extra speed for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    StatusN @ StatusN: hi, i need help with unbanning my 3ds, can somebody show me a link to a seed that still works...