Not open for further replies.

Wolfvak

nyaa~
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Can do! ^_^ Take your time!
Done. Instructions are in the README, but just to clarify: it's really similar to Luma. It uses a root directory ("/injector/") and inside there's two folders ("code" and "locales", you store code sections as "titleid.bin" and locales are the same as Luma). If you have a N3DS you can also create "clock.txt" and save it as "1" or "2", to enable 804MHz mode for all titles or 804MHz + L2 cache for all titles.

One final clarification, because I see a lot of people like to do this (not anyone from this thread, you're safe :P) : the code loading patch is "mine", in the sense that I implemented it myself (check the commits) and I don't really know how Luma's patch works. So no, I did not "steal", or "copy paste" the code from Tux.

I just don't like saying it's "mine" or "x person's" because it's quite trivial to implement, so don't know if it really falls within the "copyrightable code" category.

Reactions: The Catboy

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Done. Instructions are in the README, but just to clarify: it's really similar to Luma. It uses a root directory ("/injector/") and inside there's two folders ("code" and "locales", you store code sections as "titleid.bin" and locales are the same as Luma). If you have a N3DS you can also create "clock.txt" and save it as "1" or "2", to enable 804MHz mode for all titles or 804MHz + L2 cache for all titles.

One final clarification, because I see a lot of people like to do this (not anyone from this thread, you're safe :P) : the code loading patch is "mine", in the sense that I implemented it myself (check the commits) and I don't really know how Luma's patch works. So no, I did not "steal", or "copy paste" the code from Tux.

I just don't like saying it's "mine" or "x person's" because it's quite trivial to implement, so don't know if it really falls within the "copyrightable code" category.

I don't think patches really fall in the whole copyrightable category anyways - especially when there's only one valid way to do so.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Cool~ gonna test in a little bit, then ramble on it!

Reactions: Wolfvak

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

So I tested out most of the features that I can test, such as region-free, system settings string, ect. Actually, I remember finding this file buried in the CakesFW thread. It was only missing the RO module sigpatches. I will update the OP!

Wolfvak

nyaa~
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
So I tested out most of the features that I can test, such as region-free, system settings string, ect. Actually, I remember finding this file buried in the CakesFW thread. It was only missing the RO module sigpatches. I will update the OP!
That build was actually a direct fork of the 3ds_injector repo with an added Cakes patch template - that is, it's the same as the vanilla loader.
Mine integrates a few more things here and there.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That build was actually a direct fork of the 3ds_injector repo with an added Cakes patch template - that is, it's the same as the vanilla loader.
Mine integrates a few more things here and there.
Cool enough for me! I added your version to the OP because it seems like the better version!

Reactions: Wolfvak

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Update! Alright, I actually was able to add hyperlinks! So you now just need to click on the CFW you want to see and it will bring you to that section~ Woow~
K, so I won't be adding a Supercard's "freegame" CFW. Why? Because it's just a re-branded ReiNAND with several features stripped out of it (or it's based on an older version.) Which isn't the issue that I am upset with. I am not ok with them taking a GPL project and not even attempting to credit the original author nor release their source code. This also makes this CFW the second stolen CFW that they've pushed own on their card. So I won't be supporting them.

Reactions: chaoskagami

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update! Alright, I actually was able to add hyperlinks! So you now just need to click on the CFW you want to see and it will bring you to that section~ Woow~
K, so I won't be adding a Supercard's "freegame" CFW. Why? Because it's just a re-branded ReiNAND with several features stripped out of it (or it's based on an older version.) Which isn't the issue that I am upset with. I am not ok with them taking a GPL project and not even attempting to credit the original author nor release their source code. This also makes this CFW the second stolen CFW that they've pushed own on their card. So I won't be supporting them.
Why not just put it in their and shame them. I mean, I still think there will be people asking about it, if it takes off.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Why not just put it in their and shame them. I mean, I still think there will be people asking about it, if it takes off.
I'll take that into consideration, but it seems counter to the point of this thread. This thread is mostly trying to be fair, the only reason I was harsh on old RXTools wasn't be mean or shame it, but to show why you shouldn't use it anymore. Outright attacking a CFW because it's stolen code seems like justice, but I personally think not even including it sends just as harsh a message.
Now I will be putting the same comment I made into the FAQ to address why it's not there.

Also I will be including a Stage 2 CFW once they become more stable and usable for everyday use.

chaoskagami

Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Really digging the links. :P

As an FYI you may want to change the loader description on ReiNAND and Corbenik.

Rei has been implementing some kind of patch loader so that patches aren't part of loader itself, and Corbenik has always had the actual patches separate from loader (so only the Ninjhax/ASLR part is technically builtin.)

The description I gave is only correct for loader when it's close in implementation to Yifan Lu's upstream. Corbenik has deviated pretty far from it such that it can't be used standalone. Rei appears to be doing something similar, but I'm not sure how stable that is yet.

(BTW - I agree. Don't give freegame any more publicity.)

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Really digging the links. :P

As an FYI you may want to change the loader description on ReiNAND and Corbenik.

Rei has been implementing some kind of patch loader so that patches aren't part of loader itself, and Corbenik has always had the actual patches separate from loader (so only the Ninjhax/ASLR part is technically builtin.)

The description I gave is only correct for loader when it's close in implementation to Yifan Lu's upstream. Corbenik has deviated pretty far from it such that it can't be used standalone. Rei appears to be doing something similar, but I'm not sure how stable that is yet.

(BTW - I agree. Don't give freegame any more publicity.)
I mostly used your quote as a "beta" description well I researched the topic to make a better description. Despite my outward knowledge on CFW's, I am still fairly new to the topic and the scene really moves fast for me. Plus I mostly do my updating/research on my days off, so you can often expect to see actual work appear on Thursdays/Fridays.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I am just going to out right remove the comment, mostly because all the features that the loader implemented are already listed. So it would just be easier to list the one feature I didn't list, which is the RO patch. What even is the RO patch? I see everyone on the nuts about it.

Last edited by The Catboy,

chaoskagami

Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Anyone up for explaining the RO patch? I seriously looked everywhere, it seems like everyone knows what it is, but no one is saying what it is outright.

RO is a service that loads .CRO files (CTR Relocatable Objects, maybe.) CRO files are like .DLLs (Windows) or Linux shared objects (.so). They have a separate signature check routine with RO - without a patch to RO to disable the signature check, RO will refuse to load unsigned or invalidly signed code from CROs. A large amount of code in some games (like pokemon) is stored not in the ExeFS, but the CRO files.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
RO is a service that loads .CRO files (CTR Relocatable Objects, maybe.) CRO files are like .DLLs (Windows) or Linux shared objects (.so). They have a separate signature check routine with RO - without a patch to RO to disable the signature check, RO will refuse to load unsigned or invalidly signed code from CROs. A large amount of code in some games (like pokemon) is stored not in the ExeFS, but the CRO files.
Thanks! ^_^ I will updating this thread tomorrow!

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Reactions: gnmmarechal

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I know I said I was going to update this thread, but the whole, broken 3DS thing took up all of my time to update it. Thursday I was doing testing and Friday I was going to update.
Regardless, with my 3DS back up and running, I am going to test out skeith (Corbenik's nightly build.)

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So quick update on this thread! I am still doing research, but there's really not much to add at the moment. Almost all CFW's seem to be an LTS state, where all of them have reached their max stable point and all new features are being tested in nighties. So this thread might go quiet for a bit until something more interesting happens.

Reactions: proflayton123
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end