Not open for further replies.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Is it still accessible although private though I'd like to look into the code and things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's private to only users that the dev wants to distribute it to.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Is it still accessible although private though I'd like to look into the code and things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's private to only users that the dev wants to distribute it to.

The source is always available on my Github, but yeah, I don't really distribute binaries of it anymore. Feel free to compile it yourself if you want to try it out.

Last edited by daxtsu,
Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think there are only a few things you would need to mention. I can give a few right now:
  • It can be accessed on 4.X to 9.2 firmware and has multiple entrypoints such as MSET (DS Profile exploit), the spider browser exploit, and *hax entrypoints.
    • It also now supports Arm9LoaderHax, and can be used on an updated SysNAND, although if you use Gateway 4.0a or 4.0b, there is no Firm protection.
  • It has a built in cheat engine that is typically regarded as one of the last features that GW has over other CFWs.
  • It supports .3DS rom loading via a microSD inserted into their proprietary flashcard.
    • Two advantages I can think of right now: (1) it is a simple drag n' drop, no installation needed, and (2) Nintendo most likely has no way to tell whether your .3DS rom is a real cartridge or not unless you use a "public header" online.
    • One disadvantage I can think of right now is that to play online, you need to extract a "private header" from one or more of your legitimate games and inject them into the rom you want to play online.
  • It does not support GBA and DS/DSi games in Gateway Mode or Classic Mode (someone can confirm this? It isn't working on my end).
  • It does not have any configuration screen like most other CFWs, or really any customization at all.
  • It has a menu with a few tools, such as NAND dumping, cartridge dumping (like Uncart), and cartridge save dumping (in .SAV format).
I like this and I will include it, but I am still researching this CFW. If anyone wants to weigh in on this one, that would be great! I don't want any details missing or unsure of.

I also added a section to my thread for the CFW's that I am researching and updated the old RXTools section.

Reactions: samiam144

phazer

Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
@Crystal the Glaceon:
Thanks tons for this very informative thread. I did not know that there are so many CFWs available meanwhile since the release of rxTools.

My old 3DS XL is currently running 4.5.0-8E, rxTools v2.6 and RX3D 9.9.0-26E.
Do you recommend to switch/upgrade to a A9LH bases CFW? If so, I don´t want to loose installed CIAs and savegames. Is that possible?

I want to switch to Luma3DS (A9LH).

Therefore I will follow this guide: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki
But since my 3DS is running 4.5.0-8E I have to update SysNAND to 9.2 first, following this guide: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-Update

Is that correct?

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Quick update!
I am currently researching Corbenik, but I am waiting for it to mature a little more before adding it to the list, Although, for a CFW that was started 2 days ago, it's actually moved pretty fast, so I am hoping to have an section posted soon enough.
I still need information on the Gateway CFW, not owning one really hinders me on this, so I am doing legit research on it, without actual testing.
I am also working on a section to explain why you shouldn't use other entry points for your CFW needs.

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick update!
I am currently researching Corbenik, but I am waiting for it to mature a little more before adding it to the list, Although, for a CFW that was started 2 days ago, it's actually moved pretty fast, so I am hoping to have an section posted soon enough.
I still need information on the Gateway CFW, not owning one really hinders me on this, so I am doing legit research on it, without actual testing.
I am also working on a section to explain why you shouldn't use other entry points for your CFW needs.
Be sure to have a GW-A9LH section as well, and why NO ONE should use it. Apart from that, good work Crystal~!

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Be sure to have a GW-A9LH section as well, and why NO ONE should use it. Apart from that, good work Crystal~!
That's going to be part of the "Other entry point" section.

phazer

Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda

phazer

Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Where were they previously? Like were you using a GW Emunand from 4.5? Did you back that up?

I thought they were installed to the SD card into \Nintendo 3DS\<GUID>\<GUID>\title. I did not made a backup of my old emuNAND, only a SD card content backup.

So it looks like, that I have to re-install them?

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought they were installed to the SD card into \Nintendo 3DS\<GUID>\<GUID>\title. I did not made a backup of my old emuNAND, only a SD card content backup.

So it looks like, that I have to re-install them?
Yeah, you're going to have to. The 4.5 -> 9.2 section of the guide should have recommended you backed it up tho. But since you didn't, there's not much you can do.

Reactions: phazer

phazer

Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Yeah, you're going to have to. The 4.5 -> 9.2 section of the guide should have recommended you backed it up tho. But since you didn't, there's not much you can do.

Correction:
I made backups of sysNAND and emuNAND. Do I have to restore the old emuNAND to a clean SD?

Last edited by phazer,

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
So I am going to do some updates to this thread. Mostly fixing some typos and clearing up some misconceptions I may have made.
I am currently working an article for Corbenik, but that won't be ready for at least another week. Each one of these CFW's I had used as my main for well over two weeks or more, so I could test everything before commenting on it. Being that Corbenik is still extremely new and getting new updates everyday, I am going to wait a bit longer until it's fleshed out more.
I am not going to add Cosmo CFW to this list because I sadly have very little to say about it. It lacks signature patches, which means it's strictly homebrew and region-free. As well, every time I run it, it removes my pirated Themes and that's not ok. I am trying to balance both the negatives and positives of a CFW, but I find the negatives to really out weigh the positives on this and it would look like I am bullying it, which is not my intentions.
Gateway CFW is going to be delayed until I can gather enough information on or I get a cart myself.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show.