FAQ: Is freeShop legal?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Crystal the Glaceon, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Crystal the Glaceon
    OP

Crystal the Glaceon GBATemp's Wolfdog™ The saint of all the sinners

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Sorry for the late reply, I had to get on lunch to really make a reply to this one. So basically it's still piracy to download the Japanese version of the same game you already own. You legally own the US version, but that doesn't mean you own versions from other regions. Unless it were the case where the game is the same across all regions. Otherwise you only own that regional version.
    Now I am not 100% sure on this one since copyright laws are rather poorly equip to deal an issue like this. Not to mention country differences in copyright laws. But I am going to with the stance of, you legally only own the copy of the game you bought. Otherwise the titles are treated as two separate titlekeys. But like I said, this is something I am not 100% sure on and will have to do further research.

Last edited by Crystal the Glaceon, May 16, 2017

2. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    well except for the whole pokemon sun and moon situation where the eshop version is region free but the game wasn't officially out in EU leading to some bans

but again as long as people stick to downloading games on their official release it should be fine, it's only really the pokemon games that are using a single universal copy of the game and I doubt the 3ds will be getting any more of those

3. Crystal the Glaceon
    OP

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    I actually had to look that up, I didn't know they were released later in the EU. I thought Nintendo moved past that

4. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd ◥▷◁◤ Knight of Void

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Land of Darkness and Bounty
    Nope. They are still ridiculous with regional timing. Specter of Torment is STILL not out in Europe, despite the Americas already having it for over a month. Only the Switch has true region-free at the moment if I'm not mistaken.

5. Crystal the Glaceon
    OP

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Now that's a damn shame

6. zenzetsu

zenzetsu Newbie

Newcomer
    May 26, 2017
    yay! now I don't have to feel as guilty using freeshop

7. Crystal the Glaceon
    OP

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    I added a hyper link to "TL: DR section"
    Also I would like to mention that this thread does not advocate piracy nor does it argue the legality of piracy.

Ev1l0rd, arc13 and Dionicio3 like this.